Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
GoldenHulk
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Outcomes that shocked you

Here are a few fights whose outcomes shocked me-

1- Thomas Hearns ko2 Roberto Duran - I was only 12 when this fight happened but had already been following boxing for a couple of years. Duran was always one of my favorite fighters, but I didnt think he would beat Hearns due to his huge disdvantages in height and reach. Still Hearns hadnt been knocking people out for awhile, and Duran had never been ko'd in over 80 fights. I thought Hearns would win by a comfortable decision, I remember telling my friend Dave , that either Duran would win by ko, or Hearns would win a decision, I was stunned when Hearns brutally ko'd Duran inside of 2 rounds, with Duran laying flat on his face.

2- Michael Spinks ko5 Gerry Cooney - Spinks was the better boxer but Cooney was a huge heavyweight for his time, and had a wrecking ball of a left hook. Also Spinks had come up from light heavyweight and was facing a 6'6 238lb powerpuncher. I thought Spinks was being fed to the lions in this one, and after a couple of Cooney's famous hooks, he would be broken in half. Cooney on the other hand had only 3 fights since his loss to Holmes and had struggled with cocaine and alcohol. Still Cooney just seemed to be coming on in the fight in an impressive 4th round. To my surprise in the 5th Cooney was being mugged by the smaller Spinks and wasnt even trying to clinch, after being floored twice and hit with what seemed a hundred punches Frank Cappocino stopped the fight.

3 - Tommy Morrison w12 George Foreman - this for me was simply a case of Foreman having a great chin, and Morrison not having one. In my mind, if Morrison brawls he gets ko'd and if he boxes 12 rounds is too long for him for Foreman not to knock him out. I was very surprised when Tommy was able to out box Big George for 12 rounds and win the then lightly regarded WBO belt.

What outcomes shocked you?
GoldenHulk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Outcomes that shocked you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHulk

1- Thomas Hearns ko2 Roberto Duran - I was only 12 when this fight happened but had already been following boxing for a couple of years. Duran was always one of my favorite fighters, but I didnt think he would beat Hearns due to his huge disdvantages in height and reach. Still Hearns hadnt been knocking people out for awhile, and Duran had never been ko'd in over 80 fights. I thought Hearns would win by a comfortable decision, I remember telling my friend Dave , that either Duran would win by ko, or Hearns would win a decision, I was stunned when Hearns brutally ko'd Duran inside of 2 rounds, with Duran laying flat on his face.

2- Michael Spinks ko5 Gerry Cooney - Spinks was the better boxer but Cooney was a huge heavyweight for his time, and had a wrecking ball of a left hook. Also Spinks had come up from light heavyweight and was facing a 6'6 238lb powerpuncher. I thought Spinks was being fed to the lions in this one, and after a couple of Cooney's famous hooks, he would be broken in half. Cooney on the other hand had only 3 fights since his loss to Holmes and had struggled with cocaine and alcohol. Still Cooney just seemed to be coming on in the fight in an impressive 4th round. To my surprise in the 5th Cooney was being mugged by the smaller Spinks and wasnt even trying to clinch, after being floored twice and hit with what seemed a hundred punches Frank Cappocino stopped the fight.

3 - Tommy Morrison w12 George Foreman - this for me was simply a case of Foreman having a great chin, and Morrison not having one. In my mind, if Morrison brawls he gets ko'd and if he boxes 12 rounds is too long for him for Foreman not to knock him out. I was very surprised when Tommy was able to out box Big George for 12 rounds and win the then lightly regarded WBO belt.

Danny Williams KO4 Mike Tyson - sure Tyson was shot at this point, but who was Danny Williams? Tyson at this point has only lost in championship fights, and I didn't think that he would lose to a journeyman like that, especially so quickly. I was stunned when I heard it on the radio.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

George Foreman v Michael Moorer.

I was very shocked by the outcome, but extremley pleased also.

Shane Moseley vs Vernon Forrest

Very surprised at the outcome of thier 1st encounter.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Obviously

Tyson - Douglas
Foreman - Moorer
Tyson - Holyfield
Hearns - Barkley

One that mildy shocked (and utterly thrilled) me given the hype of the champion and age of the challenger was Hearn's - Hill.

Another that shocked me a bit was SRL - Hagler, even tho i told friends Leonard wouldn't be there unless he had some sort of realistic chance. Not like he was punch drunk or a tragic figure that didn't know when to give up.

Holmes - Spinks, i really really didn't think Spinks was big enough and Holmes shot enough for Michael to take him.

Hopkins - Tarver, i thought Bernard was well past his used by date but lo and behold.

Curry - Honeyghan

and many more
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Honeyghan - Breland

I thought Lloyd had a bit more left than that.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHulk

Liston v Clay1,
Curry v Honeyghan
Tyson v Douglas
Benn v Mc Clellan
Holyfieldv Tyson1
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Actually, Hearns-Barkley I & II were results I didn't expect.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Me neither. I thought Tommy would win both fights. After outpointing who I saw as the best lightheavyweight in the world at the time I thought he'd do the same to Barkley in the 2nd fight. Barkley learned from the first fight and other fights and saw the way to beat Hearns is to have a strong chin and to crowd him and pressure him constantly, not giving him any room. Tommy was not an inside fighter. Hearns was shot too though - the Hill fight was his last hurrah.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Me neither. I thought Tommy would win both fights. After outpointing who I saw as the best lightheavyweight in the world at the time I thought he'd do the same to Barkley in the 2nd fight. Barkley learned from the first fight and other fights and saw the way to beat Hearns is to have a strong chin and to crowd him and pressure him constantly, not giving him any room. Tommy was not an inside fighter. Hearns was shot too though - the Hill fight was his last hurrah.
The Barkley match showed me Tommy was shot. He showed basically nothing aprt from heart and will IMO.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

....i was surprised when barrera manhandled and gave hamed a schooling.....i genuinely thought that junior jones had set the template for beating barrera, and hamed was a faster more powerful version of poison......barrera was awesome that night...

hatton vs tsyu..another one i picked way wrong...i thought kostya would still have too much for the emerging hatton...when ricky put his head on tsyu's chest and just went for it, all night.....what a performance...

...i was caught up in the benn hype too....benn is my all time favourite fighter and i was desolate when watson and eubank beat him.....i knew he was chinny, but at that time i believed he could get up and ko anyone he could hit....
bigG is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
buzzsaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bramble-Rosario
Curry - Honeyghan
buzzsaw is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

During my lifetime: watching and loving the sport of boxing, I'd say:

Tyson - Douglas
Jacquot - Curry
Tyson - Holyfield
Lewis - Rahman I
Hamed - Barrera (pleased with this outcome, though )
Gatti - Robinson
Margarito - Williams

Last edited by Biggame; 03-17-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Azania
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hopkins-Trinidad

I thought Tito was gonna close the books on Bernard.I did'nt think Hopkins would be able to take those shots for 12rds.Not only did he make Tito miss with most of those shots,he took him to school..bigtime.Finally stopped in the last round.I remember thinking,"how the $%$#^ did this happen.Of course,I've since learnt a lot more about Hopkins and his style of fighting.Great technician.
Azania is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Fight two big time. Although fight one was a susprise, if someone had said to you before that fight, Barkley would knockout Hearns with a big one/two punch knockout (Actually Tommy amazingly did get up and whats more the ref let him carry on!!!(two brave men )), you would probably say it was unlikely but if Iran did win, that is how the Blade would do it.

But then if that person then told you Barkley was going to outpoint Hearns in a rematch, you would have had enough evidence to get that person sectioned under the mental health act...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thread Stealer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum