boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default How many sub-200 pound champions would Johansson beat?

Let's make a list here.

Jack Dempsey
Dempsey very likely takes this one by KO. Too much power, handspeed and all that. Johansson has a chance if he lands the right hand early when Jack (ideally, when Jack is in the process of throwing a punch), but i think Dempsey wins most of the time.
Dempsey KO

Gene Tunney
I think Johansson stops him. Tunney's chin at heavyweight is pretty untested - he only fought one heavyweight puncher twice and was nearly out on one occasion. I think Johansson's right catches him sooner or later, without a long count. Tunney probably outboxes him if that doesn't happen, though.
Johansson by KO.

Max Schmeling
This fight is pretty hard to call. Battle of the right hands. Both have relatively weak jaws, but i'd go with Johansson because his right hand is a one-punch bomb whereas Schmeling was more of an attrition puncher.
Johansson by KO

Jack Sharkey
I think Johansson finds Sharkey with a good 1-2 and takes him out somewhere from the middle rounds. Sharkey might be ahead on the cards at that time.
Johansson by KO

James Braddock
Johansson, probably by decision. Braddock was a tough cookie with an iron jaw: if he's going to upset any other champion, it may well be Johansson for the same reasons he beat Baer. However, i think Johansson should be favored here.
Johansson by decision

Joe Louis
Johansson has a puncher's chance, but a pretty limited one. I wouldn't be surprised if Louis destroys Ingo in a single round (like Schmeling II).
Louis by KO

Jersey Joe Walcott
Walcott is the superior boxer in here and carries a pretty big punch too, but probably lacks the aggression to finish things in case he puts Ingo on his seat like he did Louis. Johansson has a punchers chance, but i'd go with Walcott.
Walcott UD

Ezzard Charles
Charles is definitely the more skilled boxer, though he seemed to slug it out often. Similar to the Walcott fight, i think Charles outboxes him (without knocking him down) and winning a hard-fought decision.
Charles UD

Rocky Marciano
Similar to the Baer fight, this is one of those battles that Johansson is not likely to ever win. Marciano might have trouble connecting for a few rounds, but sooner or later he will. And that will be it.
Marciano by KO

Floyd Patterson
We already saw what happened, Patterson won the series by a close 2-1. Johansson did appear to be out of shape in the third fight, which could've gone either way, though.
Patterson by KO

Leon Spinks
Johansson by knockout. Not much explanation needed here i guess.
Johansson by KO

So, all-in-all, that would make his record against them a 5-6.

Edit: Baer and Carnera obviously shouldn't be on the list.

Last edited by ChrisPontius; 06-07-2008 at 03:49 PM.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How many sub-200 pound champions would Johansson beat?

I wasn't aware Carnera was ever fought at less than 200 pounds?

I wouldn't consider Bear a sub-200 fighter either. He only weighed <200 in his early twenties and was 209.5lbs for his title victory over Carnera.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
I wasn't aware Carnera was ever fought at less than 200 pounds?

I wouldn't consider Bear a sub-200 fighter either. He only weighed <200 in his early twenties and was 209.5lbs for his title victory over Carnera.

I included Carnera to pad his record, thought no one would notice!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I included Carnera to pad his record, thought no one would notice!
I see

For a moment there I thought you were serious. After all, 270lb meathead Shannon Briggs used to be a little stick man...
Old 06-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would replace 192lb jack johnson(over burns) instead of the 209lb max baer(beat carnera). and you got yourself a correct list.

Also how about fitzimmons, corbett, burns?

good ****ysis though. If tunney keeps his hands by his waist and leans back into the ropes to avoid the right with his hands low like vs dempsey, he will get knocked out. I do think walcott probably knocks johansson out. if walcott can dent marcianos chin, he can kayo johansson. Its not like marcianos was the only ranked contender walcott knocked down/or flattened for that matter. Patterson beat ingo twice by kayo, and walcott hit harder than floyd. walcott showed vs harold johnson, gomez, louis, charles, marciano he can really put the hurt on you. Interesting johansson over schmeling pick, cant say i agree with it
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
I would replace 192lb jack johnson(over burns) instead of the 209lb max baer(beat carnera). and you got yourself a correct list.

Also how about fitzimmons, corbett, burns?

good ****ysis though. If tunney keeps his hands by his waist and leans back into the ropes to avoid the right with his hands low like vs dempsey, he will get knocked out. I do think walcott probably knocks johansson out. if walcott can dent marcianos chin, he can kayo johansson. Its not like marcianos was the only ranked contender walcott knocked down/or flattened for that matter. Patterson beat ingo twice by kayo, and walcott hit harder than floyd. walcott showed vs harold johnson, gomez, louis, charles, marciano he can really put the hurt on you. Interesting johansson over schmeling pick, cant say i agree with it
Thanks. I excluded pre-Johnson champs because the boxing rules they fought under were just so different from modern ones. I excluded Johnson himself because his best stuff was over 200lbs.

Walcott indeed could knock out Ingo. I do think he hit harder than Floyd, but Patterson was much more aggressive. How do you see him fighting Schmeling?

By the way, feel free to discuss the other matches, i just didn't include them on the list, that's all.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I will start by saying that although Johansen was a limited fighter he probably had the most dangerous right hand in the history of the heavyweight division.

He is going to be a danger to virtualy anybody.

Jack Dempsey
Dempsey would probably dismantle Johansen brutaly but if he gets caught coming in with that short right he is going to be on ***** street.

Lets say Dempsey wins by early knockout but thinks that he has been knocked out himsel in his dressing room afterwards.

Gene Tunney
I think it would have to be Tunney here. He would make Johansen look like a novice and even if he did get caught his chin would probably alow him to survive. He would be fighting on the outside so Johansen would probably have to thow his bingo too far to get the best effect.

Max Schmeling
Again Max would box Johansens ears off and probably stop him.

What if the bingo gets him?

I say he probably survives it because Louis and Baer had to unload everything except the kitchen sink to TKO him. You never know though.

Jack Sharkey
Ha ha ha

Which Sharkey shows up?

If it is the best version he wins easily.

If it is not then he could be in for a beating.

James Braddock
I actualy like Braddock here.

I think that he would be too durable for Johansen to stop and might take a points win

Joe Louis
No comment.

Jersey Joe Walcott
I cant see Walcott loosing this.

He would have too many tricks ant tools to loose by either decision or KO.

Ezzard Charles
Half a chance for Johansen.

If Charles didnt know what he was dealing with Johansen might lower the bar on him.

Rocky Marciano
Johansen probably couldnt knock Rocky out or survive his bombs as others have said.

but you never know...............

Leon Spinks
Mr Johansen will take care of business here.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
If tunney keeps his hands by his waist and leans back into the ropes to avoid the right with his hands low like vs dempsey, he will get knocked out.
Then Dempsey would have done it.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

I can't picture Johanson beating Gene Tunney or Max Schmeling. I agree with Janitor that Sharkey-Johanson depends on which version of Sharkey enters the ring.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

I would pick Max Schmeling to beat Johansson.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I will start by saying that although Johansen was a limited fighter he probably had the most dangerous right hand in the history of the heavyweight division.

He is going to be a danger to virtualy anybody.

Jack Dempsey
Dempsey would probably dismantle Johansen brutaly but if he gets caught coming in with that short right he is going to be on ***** street.

Lets say Dempsey wins by early knockout but thinks that he has been knocked out himsel in his dressing room afterwards.

Gene Tunney
I think it would have to be Tunney here. He would make Johansen look like a novice and even if he did get caught his chin would probably alow him to survive. He would be fighting on the outside so Johansen would probably have to thow his bingo too far to get the best effect.

Max Schmeling
Again Max would box Johansens ears off and probably stop him.

What if the bingo gets him?

I say he probably survives it because Louis and Baer had to unload everything except the kitchen sink to TKO him. You never know though.

Jack Sharkey
Ha ha ha

Which Sharkey shows up?

If it is the best version he wins easily.

If it is not then he could be in for a beating.

James Braddock
I actualy like Braddock here.

I think that he would be too durable for Johansen to stop and might take a points win

Joe Louis
No comment.

Jersey Joe Walcott
I cant see Walcott loosing this.

He would have too many tricks ant tools to loose by either decision or KO.

Ezzard Charles
Half a chance for Johansen.

If Charles didnt know what he was dealing with Johansen might lower the bar on him.

Rocky Marciano
Johansen probably couldnt knock Rocky out or survive his bombs as others have said.

but you never know...............

Leon Spinks
Mr Johansen will take care of business here.
Everybody before him wins and everybody after loses.

Hmmm. I'm sensing a pattern in your posts.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Then Dempsey would have done it.

Jack put him down for 14 seconds........didnt he? I think Tunneys straight punches and running would allow him to easily outbox johansson, but if johannson backs him into a corner and tunney keeps his gaurd low, allowing ingo to land his bingo, tunney will be in deep trouble.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think Tunneys straight punches and running would allow him to easily outbox johansson, but if johannson backs him into a corner and tunney keeps his gaurd low, allowing ingo to land his bingo, tunney will be in deep trouble.
Exactly how I see it.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Everybody before him wins and everybody after loses.

Hmmm. I'm sensing a pattern in your posts.
There is only one person after Johansen on the list and it is a man generaly thought to be the weakest of the lineal champions.

Not much of a patern.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Jack put him down for 14 seconds........didnt he? I think Tunneys straight punches and running would allow him to easily outbox johansson, but if johannson backs him into a corner and tunney keeps his gaurd low, allowing ingo to land his bingo, tunney will be in deep trouble.
OK.

Johansens right hand was for my money the best in the history of the heavyweight division and you can never be sure how sombody would react to it (see Johansen Machen).

I do think that Dempsey was a better all round finisher even at the point when he fought Tunney however.

I also think that if the count had been 10 seconds the outcome would have been the same.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum