boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Who were the best 270+ pound fighters of all time?

Whether they were fat, or huge, we have not seen too many ranked 270+-pound fighters. Who can name 10 good ones?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Who were the best 270+ pound fighters of all time?

Nicolay Valuev is one of the best, he is well beyond 270 pounds as well
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Primo Carnera fought over 270 lbs a few times, didn't he? I think he was much maligned, partly due to racial prejudice, partly due to mob connections, partly because of his ugly style, and partly because the idea of a heavyweight that big was inherently ridiculous for many old-timers. "How could he possibly move and box for 20 rounds?", they must have asked themselves.

Valuev is a level down from Carnera, but still is decent. Chagaev and Ruiz exposed his weakness to short (by modern standards) boxers with decent foot-movement, but I think anyone looking to trade with Valuev is getting into a lot of trouble. It's not that he's a big puncher, but it's his durability and strength which has made him so effective. His work ethic helps as well, which is why he's able to have operational stamina despite his bulk.

At another level down and a very different build, we find Danny Williams. At his best I'd say he was a legitimate top 15 boxer (maybe even top 10) and was always a game, dangerous opponent. As he showed in his last fight, even past his prime, underprepared and with everything against him he can turn in a fearsome performance. He's one of the bravest heavyweights we've seen in recent years, whether it was fighting on his way to a win over Mark Potter despite his shoulder hanging well out of its socket (to the point where his hand was near his ankle) or being seemingly impossible to keep down against Vitali Klitschko. He kept off the butterflies to beat a still-feared Tyson when no-one gave him a chance and won one of the most brutal British heavyweight title fights in living memory against Matt Skelton.

Beyond that, the only boxers I can think of to be over 270 lbs are washed up older boxers (like Rid**** Bowe), fringe contenders (Craig Payne, Sonny Barch) or freak shows (Eric "Butterbean" Esch).
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Kevin Mcbride
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
At another level down and a very different build, we find Danny Williams. ).
Danny's fat ass should of stayed from 220-230 though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Lets be honest we have: Old Shannon Briggs, McCline, Valuev, fat Danny WIlliams and Carnera. Nothing to write home about
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

Leroy Jones wasn't too bad, losing to Larry Holmes in a title bid and beating Mike Weaver along the way. He didn't weight consistently above 270 though, although he did exceed the weight a few times.

Ewart Potgieter was over 7' tall and weighed 320 odd pounds. He wasn't too shabby but he was certainly no world beater. He lost rather embarrasingly to a journeyman called John Holman who was over 100 lbs. lighter.

Frankly, the pickings are rather slim...Shannon Briggs sucked at 270.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
He lost rather embarrasingly to a journeyman called John Holman who was over 100 lbs. lighter.
Journeyman? John Holman was a consistent top 10 contender throughout the 1950s, in fact according to some of my articles the Marciano Camp and Holman were in negotiations for a world title shot in 1956 for marcianos 50th fight. Holman at the time was rated 4th. I have Holman on film vs E charles, Holman had skills. Holman beat a lot of good fighters, he was certainly not a journeyman. He was always fighting tough competition. Anyway thats off topic, but I thought I should respond.

I think a Leroo Jones is a bit overlooked, he beat mike weaver easier than holmes did

Last edited by SuzieQ49; 06-11-2008 at 11:37 AM.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Lets be honest we have: Old Shannon Briggs, McCline, Valuev, fat Danny WIlliams and Carnera. Nothing to write home about
There is one 270+ pound fighter to keep an eye on. His name is Alexander Ustinov. I think has a chance to be as good or perhaps better than anyone on this list. Ustinov was something like 20-1 in k-1 fighting ( loss was on points ) and is 10-0 8Ko's as a pro boxer. He has some skills, is huge, has no fear, and hits hard. He's well over 270.

Antoher guy who was not mentioned is Tye Fields. I think he's a fraud.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Kevin Mcbride. Watch out, hes back.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 AM   #11
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Journeyman? John Holman was a consistent top 10 contender throughout the 1950s, in fact according to some of my articles the Marciano Camp and Holman were in negotiations for a world title shot in 1956 for marcianos 50th fight. Holman at the time was rated 4th. I have Holman on film vs E charles, Holman had skills. Holman beat a lot of good fighters, he was certainly not a journeyman. He was always fighting tough competition. Anyway thats off topic, but I thought I should respond.
In that case, I apologise. I had no idea Holman was a good fighter.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Danny's fat ass should of stayed from 220-230 though
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
There is one 270+ pound fighter to keep an eye on. His name is Alexander Ustinov. I think has a chance to be as good or perhaps better than anyone on this list. Ustinov was something like 20-1 in k-1 fighting ( loss was on points ) and is 10-0 8Ko's as a pro boxer. He has some skills, is huge, has no fear, and hits hard. He's well over 270.
I've heard about him as well. Have you ever seen him? How do his defence , speed and skills in general look?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I've heard about him as well. Have you ever seen him? How do his defence , speed and skills in general look?
Ustinov is one of those fighters with a real presense in the ring. He's close to 6'9" tall. He's in there to fight, shows little fear, and has heavy hands. His defense is fair. His hand speed is good, but not great. His skills are above average. But what makes him dangerous is heavy hands, a proven chin in K-1, and a agressive style. In many ways he is a more skilled version of Virchis, though he going to need to prove it on the top level.

Ustinov needs to lose about 30 pounds. He's best at 270, not 300.

Judge for yourself.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza

Judge for yourself.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I'd seen that before and didnt really take much from it (one round against a limited fighter). Is that the way he fights normally? He was standing very square on and punches were not coming back to his chin. If he fights like that all the time he will get KO'd at some point. If he was just being lazy against poor opposition then fiar enough I suppose
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum