Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who were the best 270+ pound fighters of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD1983
I'd seen that before and didnt really take much from it (one round against a limited fighter). Is that the way he fights normally? He was standing very square on and punches were not coming back to his chin. If he fights like that all the time he will get KO'd at some point. If he was just being lazy against poor opposition then fiar enough I suppose
He'll go for an early Ko. Punches don't seem to bother him at the level he's on. Untinov has a stand and trade style. He can box if he has to. He recentely beat an 11-0, 10 KO fighter on points in 8 rounds. I agree he has a lot to work on, but big punchers can get ranked based on power alone.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Ustinov is one of those fighters with a real presense in the ring. He's close to 6'9" tall. He's in there to fight, shows little fear, and has heavy hands. His defense is fair. His hand speed is good, but not great. His skills are above average. But what makes him dangerous is heavy hands, a proven chin in K-1, and a agressive style. In many ways he is a more skilled version of Virchis, though he going to need to prove it on the top level.

Ustinov needs to lose about 30 pounds. He's best at 270, not 300.

Judge for yourself.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
He reminds me a bit of Virchis.

I wonder how well he'll make the transition, though. I like his aggression, don't get me wrong, but it looks a bit asif he's spending energy asif it's a 3 round K1 fight. With his size, that's a concern. You can't tell much about his defence from this one, but like you say, he does have great ring presence. A bit comebacking Foreman-like if you will.

Of course, he knew his opponent wasn't all that, so maybe he went all-out for that reason. At any rate, i'm looking forward to see him progress and step up in class when he's ready.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Any mention of Buster Mathis or son yet?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Danny's fat ass should of stayed from 220-230 though
True. I've actually followed boxing long enough to remember the days when Danny could move his feet faster than a tortoise. That was at about 250 lbs; if he'd been 220-230 lbs in his prime, he'd have been a definite top 5 heavyweight and maybe even a champion.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
True. I've actually followed boxing long enough to remember the days when Danny could move his feet faster than a tortoise. That was at about 250 lbs; if he'd been 220-230 lbs in his prime, he'd have been a definite top 5 heavyweight and maybe even a champion.
That being said, Williams could have had Ali's speed, Foreman's power and Tyson's ferocity and his demons would have still messed it up for him!
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
There is one 270+ pound fighter to keep an eye on. His name is Alexander Ustinov. I think has a chance to be as good or perhaps better than anyone on this list. Ustinov was something like 20-1 in k-1 fighting ( loss was on points ) and is 10-0 8Ko's as a pro boxer. He has some skills, is huge, has no fear, and hits hard. He's well over 270.
Interesting. Worth keeping an eye on, at least; a lot will depend on whether he has the Valuev-like dedication to keep his stamina at a functional level. It takes a lot of determination to have a good workrate at that kind of weight.

Quote:
Antoher guy who was not mentioned is Tye Fields. I think he's a fraud.
Absolutely. While I admire anyone able to throw that many punches at that weight, he is totally dependant on fighting poor quality opponents. Almost any pro-boxer can put up a good workrate in a 3 round fight with a glass-jawed fat opponent who did nothing.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD1983
That being said, Williams could have had Ali's speed, Foreman's power and Tyson's ferocity and his demons would have still messed it up for him!
He'd always been inconsistent, certainly. He's the classic example of a boxer who can be brilliant one fight and totally useless the next, like a lot of British boxers with natural talent who scored big upsets. Remember Kirkland Laing and Lloyd Honeyghan? They could fight like ATGs one fight and amateur teenagers the next.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #23
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy
I genuinely felt embarrassed watching that. How can grown up adults attend that, commentate on it and not walk out immediatly?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I genuinely felt embarrassed watching that. How can grown up adults attend that, commentate on it and not walk out immediatly?
Good question. None of the participants are alive today, so perhaps they died of embarrassment after doing this.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Larry Holmes is probably around 270 pounds now. Maybe he can make a comeback fight and show us all how effective he can be at that weight.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74
I think Larry Holmes is probably around 270 pounds now. Maybe he can make a comeback fight and show us all how effective he can be at that weight.
Bill talks highly of one of Holme's relatives or some such who's 50 something pounds overweight but still casually deals with guys in sparring.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Bill talks highly of one of Holmes' relatives or some such who's 50 something pounds overweight but still casually deals with guys in sparring.
That would be Larry's "little" brother Mark.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #29
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy
Good question. None of the participants are alive today, so perhaps they died of embarrassment after doing this.
I didn't know wrestling had turned into that abortion of a fake "sport" in 1977 already, though.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #30
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I didn't know wrestling had turned into that abortion of a fake "sport" in 1977 already, though.
They threw fewer punches in that boxing match than in their regular "wrestling" matches.

The odd thing is, at a certain level, the late 1970s and early 1980s were the peak of "realism" in British wrestling. Yes, there was Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks doing overweight imitations of US wrestling, but there was also the like of Davey Boy Smith which practiced a style that was at least vaguely believable.

I have some relatives who were involved in the sport during the period and they say that, in many cases, at lot of the painful stuff (stomping on people's hands until they bled, for instance) was real. Then again, "juicing hardstyle" as they called deliberately bleeding, has been common in wrestling for some time.

Personally, I'm not half crazy enough to wrestle, even though I imagine if one had the pain tolerance of a mother of 15 and the neck of a crocodile it could be quite fun.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum