Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default If Given 2 Opportunities, Which Boxers Could Beat Anyone In Their Division, Ever?

For which boxers could one argue for within the boundaries of reason--the point being that some here have a stylistic nemisis, but there are fair reasons to believe that they could adjust to split a series or at least pick up a single victory in a series of 3-4 fights (thinking Pep & Saddler here).

Tyson at heavy?
Monzon at 160?
Mayweather at 130lbs?
SRR at welter?

List your top 10, if you would give that a shot.
acb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Default Re: If Given 2 Opportunities, Which Boxers Could Beat Anyone In Their Division, Ever?

I would have to pick Ali at HW, i think Holmes would have the best chance of beating him, but great fighters can find a way to win, regardless of styles imo. And Ali would likely beat any hw ever, especially if given more than 1 chance in his prime.

At 175, some will say Moore on his best day, but not imo, especially as Charles will be operating here, who is likely the safe bet, as he was 1 of the finest p4p when he was at 175. But i'll pick Spinks.

At 160, on his best day at this weight, i'll still pick Robinson, but there are a number of choices here, as the best were so dominant, its hard to pick against them, regardless of styles.

At 147, Robinson imo.

At 135, Duran or Whitaker. Duran has his sceptics in h2h matchups, but he did brilliant in rematches at 135.

At 126, Sanchez imo, would get the better of whoever, given more than one opportunity.

At 118, Jofre i have as the best h2h, but he was given another go at Harada and never done it. Zarate would be my greatest at the weight, but i'll pick Olivares here, could be beaten, but was one of the best and good in rematches.

At 112, not sure, maybe Canto?
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: If Given 2 Opportunities, Which Boxers Could Beat Anyone In Their Division, Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
For which boxers could one argue for within the boundaries of reason--the point being that some here have a stylistic nemisis, but there are fair reasons to believe that they could adjust to split a series or at least pick up a single victory in a series of 3-4 fights (thinking Pep & Saddler here).

Tyson at heavy?
Monzon at 160?
Mayweather at 130lbs?
SRR at welter?

List your top 10, if you would give that a shot.
I think Ray Robinson could have taken two out of three against just about any welterweight in history, but of course, its no guarantee. Floyd Mayweather never lost a match in his career, and at the same time, moved around through multiple divisions, never staying in one place for any great length of time, so he's a bit of a tough one to place. I don't think Monzon would have beaten every middleweight in history, but could have handed a single loss to most of the greatest fighters in that category. Tyson would not have my vote to beat every heavyweight in history. In fact, he lost two in a row to Holyfield. Granted he was past his best, but so was Evander.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I would have to pick Ali at HW, i think Holmes would have the best chance of beating him, but great fighters can find a way to win, regardless of styles imo. And Ali would likely beat any hw ever, especially if given more than 1 chance in his prime.

At 175, some will say Moore on his best day, but not imo, especially as Charles will be operating here, who is likely the safe bet, as he was 1 of the finest p4p when he was at 175. But i'll pick Spinks.

At 160, on his best day at this weight, i'll still pick Robinson, but there are a number of choices here, as the best were so dominant, its hard to pick against them, regardless of styles.

At 147, Robinson imo.

At 135, Duran or Whitaker. Duran has his sceptics in h2h matchups, but he did brilliant in rematches at 135.

At 126, Sanchez imo, would get the better of whoever, given more than one opportunity.

At 118, Jofre i have as the best h2h, but he was given another go at Harada and never done it. Zarate would be my greatest at the weight, but i'll pick Olivares here, could be beaten, but was one of the best and good in rematches.

At 112, not sure, maybe Canto?

Heavyweight: Joe Louis

Light-Heavyweight: Ezzard Charles

Middleweight: Marvin Hagler

Welterweight: Sugar Ray Robinson

Lightweight: Roberto Duran

Featherweight: Willie Pep
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Heavyweight: Joe Louis

Light-Heavyweight: Ezzard Charles

Middleweight: Marvin Hagler

Welterweight: Sugar Ray Robinson

Lightweight: Roberto Duran

Featherweight: Willie Pep
How would you suppose Joe Louis would defeat a prime Ali, Tyson, and Lewis?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

SRR at 147 and Ali.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb

Tyson at heavy?
Monzon at 160?
Mayweather at 130lbs?
SRR at welter?
Except for Tyson those all look very reasonable. Even though I rate Tyson highly h2h, I get the feeling that once you had him you had his ticket. Fighters like Louis, Ali and Lewis was not only more adaptable, but also to a higher degree had the mental strength too bounce back from a defeat IMO.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
How would you suppose Joe Louis would defeat a prime Ali, Tyson, and Lewis?
Ali would not sweep a three or four fight series against Joe Louis. Lewis?? Rahman & Mccall would be lucky to make into the bum of the month club & they both knocked Lewis silly!
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

I feel as though Duran at 135 and RJJ at 168 are both givens.
Lacyace is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyace
I feel as though Duran at 135 and RJJ at 168 are both givens.
168 really doesn't have much of a history. But at 160 Jones would have a world of competition.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

1 - Muhammad Ali
2 - Roberto Duran
3 - Evander Hollyfield @ Cruiser
4 - Roy Jones @ Super Middleweight
5 - Ricardo Lopez
6 - Sandy Saddler?
7 - Wilferdo Gomez @ Super Bantamweight
8 - Harry Greb @ Middleweight
9 - Thomas Hearns @ Light-Middlweight
10-Floyd Mayweather at Super Featherweight

Not all of these are locked, but I think they are all reasonable choices.

Louis - I feel Tunney would get him twice. That's why I left him off. Not sure anyone else would get him twice, but he'd be in two close ones with Ali, Lewis, Johnson, Liston...to hard to be sure.

175 is too tough to pick anyone - Charles, Jones, Langford, Tunney, who's to say any of these boys could beat all of the others twice?

147 is similairly murderous, Robinson, Burley, Walker, Leonard...
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Louis - I feel Tunney would get him twice.
I really dont see how you could say this. Louis was the best rematch fighter ever, and Tunney never fought anyone his size let alone with the punching and technical skills of Louis. Theres simply not enough evidence of Tunney at heavyweight to pick him over louis twice. Not to mention if he keeps his hands by his waist when louis traps him late in the fight he is going to get knocked out. This isnt a past his prime dempsey in there, its a peak joe louis.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Heavyweight- Lewis. He beat everyone he faced, and has a couple of losses.

Cruiserweight- Holyfield, but this is based on his heavyweight Career. He was better against Bowe, Moorer, Lewis the 2nd time around. I am assuming he would learn his lesson after a loss at this weight as well.

Light Heavyweight- I'll go with Tunney as to be original. Has one loss, and it was avenged.

Super Middleweight- Nigel Benn is the only person that comes to mind. He at least received a draw in his rematch with Eubank. That is an improvement from their first fight. Jones never had to avenge a loss at this weight. Calzaghe didn't either. Toney never avenged his. Eubank never avenged his losses.

Middleweight- Ray Robinson, he did it several times

Super Welterweight- Terry Norris did it against Brown.

Welterweight- I'll go with Robinson based on his 160 lb. success.

That's it for now. I'll have to stop drinking, and research to go on.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Azumah Nelson outside of his Sweetness was as good as anyone if given a second chance (when it was needed).
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #15
daredevil1989
Contender
ESB Senior Member

mayweather at super featherweight and lightweight
daredevil1989 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum