Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #16
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Given 2 Opportunities, Which Boxers Could Beat Anyone In Their Division, Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil1989
mayweather at super featherweight and lightweight
Mayweather at 130 could sure but at lightweight, jesus i love floyd but lets not go too far, beat whitaker ,duran and leonard, i'd fancy at least one of them 3 too beat him twice, too much competition for floyd who wasn't as good a fighter at 35 as he was 30
stevebhoy87 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230
Default Re: If Given 2 Opportunities, Which Boxers Could Beat Anyone In Their Division, Ever?

At Heavyweight? I've narrowed it down to Tyson, Lewis and Ali

2nd Runner UP:
I would install Tyson as a favorite in any HW match up in history some by large margins some by very small because he has the physicalities to exploit any glaring deficiencies of any opponent. His problem is that if he were to face a stylistic challenge and subsequently lose, his dimensions make it difficult to approach the rematch in any other way inspite of his techinical proficieny and physicalities.

1st Runner up:
Ali, simply because his ability to adapt in fights is second to none. He has always been competitive in all of his fights including his losses when he was a relevant fighter. However the Norton fights showed that Ali is not immune to a stylistic challenge, and if presented by one I'm certain that his ability to overcome that challenge should not be questioned (refer to Fight II and III with Frazier) but I dont believe he would be the best candidate.

Winner
Lennox Lewis because his dimensions, skill and focus in executing a coherent fight plan makes him an uphill battle for any fighter; he is difficult to outbox and his level of confidence that he exudes in rematches which translate into wins makes him tall order for anyone to best him twice.

LHW?

Michael Spinks, Roy Jones and Ezzard Charles.

2nd Runner Up
You may call it "blasphemy" but Ezzard Charles in spite of his technical prowess is the second runner up only because I believe that he is more likely to lose a trilogy to Roy Jones jr and Michael Spinks than the other way around.

1st Runner Up
Roy Jones Jr can break all the rules, defy fundamentals and make it look easy. IMHO there is not a fighter above 160 that can beat Roy Jones Jr to the punch. I dont think his chin is weak, I think he had a solid chin and his drop in weight weakened him. Frankly I used to be weary of that weight loss rhetoric and took it at face value but seeing how Chris Byrd a fighter with a proven chin getting taken apart by a LHW without power its difficult to deny Jones's claim.

Winner
Michael Spinks, emerged as the cream of the crop in a talent laden LHW division clearing it out before making his move up to HW. Has a very awkward style, proven durablity and good power.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Heavyweight: Ali
Light Heavyweight: Charles (who was murder in rematches)
Middleweight: Robinson
Welterweight: Leonard
Lightweight: Duran
Feathweight: Sanchez
Bantamweight: Chandler
Flyweight: Canto
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think there's far too many to name really, given the criteria.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

I rate Holmes and Lewis very higher H2H personally.
TommyV is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum