Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Evander Holyfield .Vs. Floyd Patterson

Good fight but Holyfield was a little better. Way more durable, better technique and defense, maybe better two fisted power. I think he would be able to outwork Patterson and rough him up to win on a close but clear decision.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I like the explosion of interest concerning Floyd Patterson, one of my favorite boxers.

But in a match-up against Holyfield, I think Floyd would have too much to overcome. Holyfield jab's was probably just as good, though Patterson was better at doubling up on it. Patterson's only real advantage here would be his hand-speed and defense. But with Holyfield's experience, grit, and determination, I think Holyfield would be able to break Patterson's guard, take over by the seventh or eighth round, and probably top him around the ninth or tenth round.

It would be a real war, because neither fighter like to back up, but I think Holyfield would find more sucess on the inside, and that would be the key. He was stronger, too.

Holyfield TKO10 Patterson
El Matador is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
Blacc Jesus
ESB Senior Member

Holyfield in 8.
Blacc Jesus is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #19
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= Patterson had a ruptured disk caused by an accident two days before the fight in 1965. Floyd and his brother Ray were fooling around
when Ray fell into Floyd driving his back into the corner of a juke box that was sitting behind Floyd. Floyd went to the floor in pain and the camp went into panic as Floyd was ****ed up. Being two days before the fight it couldn`t be call off and he went ahead it. His back responded to treatment
as they thought it was just a pull or something but it wasn`t as they found
out too late. In the first round Floyd went to duck under a jab and his back locked up on him. Floyd said later that the pain was like someone had stabbed him in the back with a knife and he had Ali standing in front of him ready to knock his head off. IF YOU WATCH THE FIGHT FLOYD`S CORNER
KEEPS LIFTING HIM UNDER THE ARMS AND JERKING HIM TO TRY TO POP HIS BACK INTO PLACE BUT IT WOULDN`T WORK BECAUSE OF THE PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO THE DISK. HOLYFIELD HAS TO GET PATTERSON EARLY OR HE GETS KOed THE **** OUT AS HOLYFIELD LEADS WITH HIS CHIN. IF BURT COOPER COULD KO HIM PATTERSON COULD. I DON`T WANT TO HEAR THAT COOPER DIDN`T KO HOLYFIELD BECAUSE HE DID. MILLS LANE THE STINKING COMPANY MAN DID EVERYTHING IN HIS POWER TO SAVE HOLYFIELD IN HIS HOMETOWN OF ATLANTA. BERT COOPER WAS JOBBED, ROBBED AND SCREWED IN THE ASS BY MILLS LANE. PATTERSON HIT A LOT HARDER THAN BURT COOPER. EVERYBODY WHO COULD PUNCH REMOTELY HARD HURT HOLYFIELD WHILE HOLYFIELD WAS A GOOD BUT NOT OVERLY HARD HITTER
AS HE KOed FEW MEN AFTER HE WENT TO HEAVYWEIGHT.
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DEE
PATTERSON HIT A LOT HARDER THAN BURT COOPER. EVERYBODY WHO COULD PUNCH REMOTELY HARD HURT HOLYFIELD WHILE HOLYFIELD WAS A GOOD BUT NOT OVERLY HARD HITTER
AS HE KOed FEW MEN AFTER HE WENT TO HEAVYWEIGHT.
I was enjoying your post until this bit. Sorry, but I can't agree. Bert could whack and he caught Holyfield with a perfect right hand.
Riddick Bowe, a big hitter, hit Evander at will a few times and in three fights only kept him down once. Tyson hit Holy with some big shots and Evander didn't go down or look like going down. Lewis fought him twice and never looked like knocking him out. Moorer was another big puncher who didn't have Evander in any distress. Mercer was a solid hitter who did nothing against him either. Ditto Foreman.
If you think about it, Evander probably faced more big punchers than anyone in history, even more than Ali did.
I think it's safe to say Evander had an iron chin.

His power is also quite underrated. He didn't have one-punch KO power against the better heavyweights but his punches were crisp and sharp and he punched precisely and in volume.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #21
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Patterson might have some early success and maybe take a few rounds, but will ultimately be worn down and stopped during the mid-later rounds. Holyfield: plain too much workrate down the stretch.

Holyfield TKO11.
Holmes' Jab is online now  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I don't see Patterson being much of a problem for Holyfield, or at least not at HW. Had they fought perhaps at cruiserweight, a more experienced Patterson who was well accustomed to fighting at those weight perameters ( 190ish ), would have given a developing Holyfield some problems. Against the version of Holyfield anytime between 1988-1993 however, I'd take Holy by a convincing KO win. He was just too well developed physically, and had the skills along with the durability to overwhelm Floyd.
This is how I see it. Barring an off night where Holyfield blames a health problem for the loss, its his fight to lose.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #23
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

If the fight were to happen versus a pre-Bowe Holyfield, Patterson wins by decision. Maybe even stoppage. Holyfield was too eager to trade at that stage, and less interested in following a sound fight plan. That fact was evident against Dokes, Bowe, and especially Cooper. If Holyfield fought Patterson the way he fought Cooper, Evander would be in for a long night. Patterson's handspeed would be too much on the inside.

Post Bowe I Holyfield was a smarter fighter, and knew the value of strategy. I can see this Holyfield using his legs a bit more, and stopping Patterson in the mid-later rounds.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #24
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
If the fight were to happen versus a pre-Bowe Holyfield, Patterson wins by decision. Maybe even stoppage. Holyfield was too eager to trade at that stage, and less interested in following a sound fight plan. That fact was evident against Dokes, Bowe, and especially Cooper. If Holyfield fought Patterson the way he fought Cooper, Evander would be in for a long night. Patterson's handspeed would be too much on the inside.

Post Bowe I Holyfield was a smarter fighter, and knew the value of strategy. I can see this Holyfield using his legs a bit more, and stopping Patterson in the mid-later rounds.
Bert Cooper was a last minute resplacement for Francesco Damiani, who in turn was a last minute replacement for Tyson. Holyfield's opponent changed about 3 different times within a 4 week period or something to that effect. Additionally, Cooper was in outstanding physical shape, coming off a good win streak, and cought an unsuspecting Holyfield. If you're going to use single examples of Evander getting rocked or floored, then I encourage you to look at some of patterson's performances. That man spent more time on the deck than a naval officer. He was dropped by a debuting Rademacher in the second round of their match. He was floored by Roy Harris who had all but 9 Ko's in 31 career wins. He was floored some 9 times in three fights with Johanson. He was put on the deck a few times by Quarry . None of these men were terribly big punchers, except for Perhaps Johanson who killed him, and I'm not even sure if he hit as hard as Cooper. Frankly, I don't see how the Bert Cooper fight has any relevance when looking at the other side of the picture.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #25
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Holyfield had been preparing for Tyson for the majority of training camp. Damiani was only his scheduled opponent for about a week or two. His training camp was 12 weeks long. If he wasn't prepared to face a pressure fighter after 10 weeks of training then he would never be prepared for Cooper.

I'm not looking for examples of Evander getting rocked or floored. I'm looking for examples of Evander throwing his fight plan out the window. He did just that in the fights I mentioned. The only time, pre-Bowe, that I can recall his following a plan after being rocked was against Foreman.

I think Patterson had faster hands, and would beat Evander to the punch on the inside at that stage of his career.

Besides, when did Evander ever look good against a smaller opponent at heavyweight?
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #26
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
That man spent more time on the deck than a naval officer.
Clever
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #27
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
Holyfield had been preparing for Tyson for the majority of training camp. Damiani was only his scheduled opponent for about a week or two. His training camp was 12 weeks long. If he wasn't prepared to face a pressure fighter after 10 weeks of training then he would never be prepared for Cooper.

I'm not looking for examples of Evander getting rocked or floored. I'm looking for examples of Evander throwing his fight plan out the window. He did just that in the fights I mentioned. The only time, pre-Bowe, that I can recall his following a plan after being rocked was against Foreman.

I think Patterson had faster hands, and would beat Evander to the punch on the inside at that stage of his career.
He never really fought that many men who were smaller, which is partly the point. He was constantly fighting men who were bigger, stronger, and sometimes even younger. Despite this, he managed to KO quite a few quality heavyweights, and avoided being floored or stopped by a fair few. Patterson was just too vulnerable in my opinion. I could see him beating Evander at cruiserweight, or perhaps even the late version who fought Lewis and Ruiz, but an early 90's rendition would have ****ed Patterson up in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash
Clever
Thanks, I kinda liked it myself..
Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #29
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Patterson was floored by guys like harris, radamacher, mcneeley due to being off balance. he wasnt hurt at all . why do you think harder punchers like moore and hurricane jackson were unable to floor floyd?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #30
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Patterson was floored by guys like harris, radamacher, mcneeley due to being off balance. he wasnt hurt at all . why do you think harder punchers like moore and hurricane jackson were unable to floor floyd?
Uh, maybe because they no longer had the ability to hit him? Do you think Patterson would go 12 or 15 rounds with a boxer like Spinks, who had a fair reach, speed and skill and never get tagged?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum