SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harold Johnson vs Gene Tunney

This is a tough one. Harold Johnson is highly underrated - a real smooth operator.

I'll go with Tunney in a razor-thin decision. 8-7 or 9-6.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Who do you like?
Tunney much too , for quick for the countering Johnson.This fight would be a stinker,Johnson never made took the initiative,he was a superlative defensive boxer,but lacked charisma, what today ,would be termed "being audience friendly".Tunney would be my pick as the best LH ,along with Charles,he was fast afoot and with his hands ,too fast for the cautious,Johnson,Harold was out boxed by Pastrano,who jabbed and ran,no one ,among the big men did it better than Tunney,except Ali.Johnson has the ability to go even with any LH ,but he did not have serious power despite his very muscular physique,Tunney wins a dec that enthralls only the boxing purists.[despite those low hands Suzie].
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Very good, as mcvey put it 'boxing match', imo Tunney takes a very close one here
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm gonna go with Harold Johnson I feel he was the supeior boxer and Tunney had a real tough time with a green Tommy Loughran. Johnson SD 15.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro
I'm gonna go with Harold Johnson I feel he was the supeior boxer and Tunney had a real tough time with a green Tommy Loughran. Johnson SD 15.
Good point, i feel that loughran was better than Johnson though, ever so slightly however.

This is a very hard one to pick though. Ive always thought Tunney was much tougher than what he gets credit for, not a brawler obviously, a boxer first and foremost, but certainly held his own in the trenches and showed a lot of ruggedness imo
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Good point, i feel that loughran was better than Johnson though, ever so slightly however.
How so? Harold has the better jab, high gaurd better fundamentals, better blocking skills better headmovement and two hands.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
How so? Harold has the better jab, high gaurd better fundamentals, better blocking skills better headmovement and two hands.
I dont mean who did things better, maybe i phrased it wrong, i meant i feel that Loughran was a GREATER LHW then Johnson, i really rate Johnson, but i have Loughran top 6 at the weight, just my opinion.

Even though Johnson was close to a perfect technical boxer, i believe that Loughran was stil a better boxer, he was very good technically also, but i think he was one of the best ring generals ever. Ring generalship, in terms of that, one of the best imo
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Tunney much too , for quick for the countering Johnson.This fight would be a stinker,Johnson never made took the initiative,he was a superlative defensive boxer,but lacked charisma, what today ,would be termed "being audience friendly".Tunney would be my pick as the best LH ,along with Charles,he was fast afoot and with his hands ,too fast for the cautious,Johnson,Harold was out boxed by Pastrano,who jabbed and ran,no one ,among the big men did it better than Tunney,except Ali.Johnson has the ability to go even with any LH ,but he did not have serious power despite his very muscular physique,Tunney wins a dec that enthralls only the boxing purists.[despite those low hands Suzie].
Whether you think he won it or not, the strategy that Willie Pastrano used to win the title from Johnson was to backpedal and counter exclusively. Willie made Harold do all the leading and kept on the move throughout. A brilliant strategy made for Pastrano's best career performance.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

As you say Pastrano won by making Johnson lead ,Harold was never happy as the aggressor,he fed off you ,as Archie Moore said"Harold makes you do all the work",Wille used his legs and jab,Tunney was as fast as Pastrano ,but stronger and a far better hitter,plus he had two hands Willie relied on his jab,Tunney had a fne jab,and a quick accurate short right that he fired in to the heart or head,he would be the hitter in this fight,and his feet would keep him out of harms way he beats Johnson.Imo.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

harold johnson was 34 and clearly past his prime when he fought pastrano, not to mention 90% of boxing fans including myself think harold won the fight. I could use ur logic mcvey and say a Teenage Tommy Loughran fought a dead even fight with harold, harold had a better jab and was a better boxer than loughran so he would beat tunney.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I dont mean who did things better, maybe i phrased it wrong, i meant i feel that Loughran was a GREATER LHW then Johnson, i really rate Johnson, but i have Loughran top 6 at the weight, just my opinion.

Ya thats cool. I rate harold # 5 light-H of all time, Loughran # 10.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I feel Johnson would beat him with his more standup technique, jab, and overall style. I think a good, modern jabber could beat Tunney, and Johnson had a few more dimensions to his game.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
harold johnson was 34 and clearly past his prime when he fought pastrano, not to mention 90% of boxing fans including myself think harold won the fight. I could use ur logic mcvey and say a Teenage Tommy Loughran fought a dead even fight with harold, harold had a better jab and was a better boxer than loughran so he would beat tunney.
Johnson was aging ,but he would have his hands full with Loughran ,in fact a prime Loughran beats him imo.Loughran is in the top 4 at LH I think Johnson makes the top 10 .I dont accept that Johnson had a better jab than Loughran.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Interesting fact Suzie, Johnson and Loughran had a common opponent!

Arturo Godoy! Loughran won ,drew and lost to him,a 39 year old Godoy lost to Johnson.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum