boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Westhoughton, Lancashire
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 1000
Default Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Sorry if this has been done before (it probably has).

How does everyone think the following fights would play out?

Wilfredo Gomez v Marco Antonio Barrera
v Erik Morales
v Manny Pacquaio

At Super Bantamweight
KCD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD
Sorry if this has been done before (it probably has).


How does everyone think the following fights would play out?

Wilfredo Gomez v Marco Antonio Barrera
v Erik Morales
v Manny Pacquaio


At Super Bantamweight
From the fights I saw of Gomez, he always seem stronger and more powerful than his opponents...and just ran over them.

I am going out on the limb and say that Pacman might have the best chance to win because of his southpaw stance and powerful left hand from a strange angle might swell up Wilfredo's eyes for a late TKO stoppage.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

I'd favor him over the lot of them, and maybe everyone who fought at the weight, with the tougher challenges coming from guys like Olivares and Jofre up from Bantam.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Morales may have the best chance against him because of his range of engagement - the way he darted in and out with straight punches and altered to make clever angles whilst in mid-combination - he is harder to read than both Barrera and Pacquaio, which would serve him well here.

Morales, a high volume puncher would bother and probably cut the prone face of Gomez and be able to take away much of his power with his leaning back, but that still might not be enough for Gomez's relentless power and hunting.

Either way, great fights, but Morales would be fair game to upset Gomez - he has the chin and cleverness.
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 261
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

BIG DEE HERE= They all have a chance with Gomez as he was in a good weight class at the time. When he tried to move up he had his ass handed to him by Sanchez. All of these guys have an excellent chance at a win with him. One the other hand all three could get their ass`s knocked out.
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South-East/Greater London.
Posts: 16,249
vCash: 1987
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Gomez TKO Barrera
Gomez TKO Pacman
Gomez TKO Morales
TommyV is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyVercettiX
Gomez TKO Barrera
Gomez TKO Pacman
Gomez TKO Morales
Big predictions.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,647
vCash: 590
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Barrera UD Gomez
Juan Manuel Marquez UD Gomez
Gomez SD Morales
Gomez K.O. J. Jones
Gomez K.O. Pacquiao
Gomez K.O. Hamed
Gomez K.O. Kelly
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats
Barrera UD Gomez
Juan Manuel Marquez UD Gomez
Gomez SD Morales
Gomez K.O. Pacquiao
Gomez K.O. Hamed
Marquez would UD him at 122? I think not, considering he never even fought there. I'd give Morales a better chance at 122 than Barrera.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,647
vCash: 590
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Marquez would UD him at 122? I think not, considering he never even fought there. I'd give Morales a better chance at 122 than Barrera.
In all honesty, I don't think Gomez handled punishment well whatsoever..
I could honestly see him T.K.O.'d. in those fights.
but out of respect for Gomez I put decision victory's.
(+ I really think Morales also blasts him out..)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats
In all honesty, I don't think Gomez handled punishment well whatsoever..
I could honestly see him T.K.O.'d. in those fights.
but out of respect for Gomez I put decision victory's.
(+ I really think Morales also blasts him out..)
I'd say the guys you chose to beat him were the worst choices for possible stoppages though, considering both were boxers/counter-punchers, though Barrera was more of a banger at lower weights.

Someone like Pacquiao then, would have the best chance of stopping him, based on your ****ysis of Gomez. I think Gomez's movement and footwork at 122 were fantastic, more than able to deal with pressure, and kept him out of punishment.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,647
vCash: 590
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
I'd say the guys you chose to beat him were the worst choices for possible stoppages though, considering both were boxers/counter-punchers, though Barrera was more of a banger at lower weights.

Someone like Pacquiao then, would have the best chance of stopping him, based on your ****ysis of Gomez. I think Gomez's movement and footwork at 122 were fantastic, more than able to deal with pressure, and kept him out of punishment.
Come Foward fighter's are made for Gomez "Punching power"
Wilfredo thrives on those who bring it to him.

Counter Punchers are his downfall, Marquez would have the easiest time with him, as would Barrera.
(Just follow the Sanchez Blueprint, Marquez style is as close as it get's to Chava)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats
Come Foward fighter's are made for Gomez "Punching power"
Wilfredo thrives on those who bring it to him.

Counter Punchers are his downfall, Marquez would have the easiest time with him, as would Barrera.
(Just follow the Sanchez Blueprint, Marquez style is as close as it get's to Chava)
Sanchez didn't use the counter-punching style he used against someone like Lopez to beat Gomez, he used his punching power and size to hurt him. He boxed well, but he was also bigger than Gomez, and better than any of the others, and it took 8 rounds for him to get Gomez out of there. Also, Marquez didn't have the defense of Sanchez.

Gomez was much better at 122 than he was at 126 anyways, pre-Sanchez. Marquez never fought there even, so how can you choose him over Gomez there? I don't think counter-punchers were his downfall at all, I think those were the fighters who played his game, making it easier for him. Those who could hang with him in the trenches and blast him back were the toughest challenges. Morales would be a decent bet, but Gomez was just a better mover and a bit slicker at 122 than someone like Barrera.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,647
vCash: 590
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Some Current 122lbs that would also put some hurt on him...
Israel Vazquez K.O. Gomez
Rafael Marquez K.O. Gomez

Gomez can't win a WAR!
+ still All the other guys I picked over him.
(Fantasy bro, No one is right)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez v the modern greats at 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats
Some Current 122lbs that would also put some hurt on him...
Israel Vazquez K.O. Gomez
Rafael Marquez K.O. Gomez

Gomez can't win a WAR!
+ still All the other guys I picked over him.
(Fantasy bro, No one is right)
You really dislike Gomez don't you?

He can't win a war? Perhaps you missed one of the best wars of all time that he won by late stoppage post-Sanchez against the extremely tough Lupe Pintor. I'd take Pintor over both of the fighters you just mentioned as a matter of fact.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015