Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who will win this November?
Wlad by stoppage 75 63.03%
Wlad on points 26 21.85%
Povetkin by stoppage 12 10.08%
Povetkin on points 6 5.04%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #31
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sizing up Wladimir Klitschko-Alexander Povetkin

Chambers has faster hands than Vlad but unless Alex can get through a early beating Vlad should handle him pretty easy...Alex management is in a rush to get to the title but they are not smart because he is not ready to keep it even if he gets lucky...but in this fight if Alex weathers early storm and keeps the pressure on he can land that hook and work Vlad over on the inside but getting through the Jab and right hand is not an easy task and quite dangerous
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #32
Rudolph
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeIsGod
How will Povetkin defend against the jab, right-cross?
Almost every Klitschko opponent who was noted for carrying his hands low prior to fighting Wlad came into the bout with their guards very hight. Sam Peter and Tony Thompson are two examples.
Rudolph is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #33
Artani
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree with some here who saying that Povetkin is not ready for Wlad. Povetkin first will be good to fight for EBU title with Sinan Samil Sam and to learn to fight in more rounds or Dimitrenko will be good test for him to see with long size how he fighting. Wlad is still better than Povetkin and I will say that Wlad will TKO Povetkin in early rounds.
Artani is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #34
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

that fight against vlad is way too early.

povetkin needs to prove his skills vs. highly ranked boxers. having over 20 fights on his account, he can then try it against vlad. anything else before will lead into a desaster
boxexpert is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #35
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent retard
Povetkin has much better ring walk music!
agreed. im not Russian but even i get a feeling of nationalistic pride listening to his intro

i've been watching a lot of povetkin's fights lately and noticed a couple more things.

his punches are quicker and sharper than i intially thought. very impressive handspeed inside. i would say his power is better than average but not very good.

fights harder when hit or tired. If gets tagged, he immediately tries to come back. Doesn't really no how to hold.

he is a great worker inside but loses effectiveness as he moves to mid-range then to long-range.

he likes to stand/rest a lot at mid-range. He likes to fire off his quick combinations, then take a step or two back. He has a decent mid-range offense but he will get bombed out by Wlad at that distance.

he tends to keep his hands at high chest level. He doesn't have a high guard like Tony Thompson. He squares himself up too much.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #36
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph
Almost every Klitschko opponent who was noted for carrying his hands low prior to fighting Wlad came into the bout with their guards very hight. Sam Peter and Tony Thompson are two examples.
I don't think so my friend. Peter was getting blasted all night long. His defense consists of blocking punches with his face

Povetkin's guard is not much better. Thompson utilized the high guard before the Wlad fight so he didn't adjust his hands.

Here is Sam Peter's high guard defense. Notice the Tysonesque head movement

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

...unless u call a headshake a defensive tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent retard
Interesting observations KOBE! However all fighters who face Wlad adjust to a high guard, just as Thompson did. It is also quite speculative that Wlad will bomb him out at mid range.

I obviously favor Wlad but the more tjme passes the bigger chance I give Povetkin. Regardless; I feel this will be a very competitive fight. And quite frankly, do not know who I will root for.
i will be rooting for wlad and expecting a dominating performance. the key imo is for wlad to keep busy with the jab therby keeping the fight at mid and long-range.

where are Cardstars and Huki, the 2 biggest Povetkin cheerleaders alive on here?!?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #37
Muchmoore

vCash:

I've been watching a lot of Povetkin lately, trying to gauge just how good he is.

His hand speed is under rated. While not the fastest in the world, his handspeed is very deceptive. His chin appears to be at least solid. He hasn't been dropped yet as a pro and I don't think he was ever stopped as an amateur. His power isn't great, but he hits hard enough that his oppontents have to respect it, he isn't a featherfist. But what makes Povetkin so good is three things, his stamina, his workrate, and his toughness. He can fight hard for the entire 12 rounds, something that few HWs can do, especially in todays era of giants. His workrate is also special for a HW and he can simply overwhelm some fighters by volume. His toughness also is impressive, he's the sort of fighter that you're going to have to KEEP down. His overall technique is also near the top of the world from his vast amateur experience. Povetkin can outhustle and outwork MANY of todays top guys.

BUT, he also has weaknesses. His defense is somewhat leaky, Chambers was able to tag him with some big right hands that had Wlad been throwing them would of put Povetkin in serious trouble. He definently needs to tighten up his defenses if he wants to beat Wladimir. His lack of serious power could also hurt him if he's fighting someone else who can fight 12 rounds at a fast pace.

Overall, Povetkin is a legitimate top 3, arguably top 2 in front of Valuev in the world today. I think he is being rushed into a fight with Klitschko though, he should try to gun for the WBC or WBA and gain more experience against elite fighters, before taking on the top dog. I favor Klitschko by mid round KO by hitting Povetkin by big right hands throughout the fight, but Povetkin has the potential to grind Wlad down as well and that's what makes it interesting.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #38
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Vlad by TKO or KO.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #39
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeIsGod
I don't think so my friend. Peter was getting blasted all night long. His defense consists of blocking punches with his face

Povetkin's guard is not much better. Thompson utilized the high guard before the Wlad fight so he didn't adjust his hands.

Here is Sam Peter's high guard defense. Notice the Tysonesque head movement

...unless u call a headshake a defensive tactic

i will be rooting for wlad and expecting a dominating performance. the key imo is for wlad to keep busy with the jab therby keeping the fight at mid and long-range.

where are Cardstars and Huki, the 2 biggest Povetkin cheerleaders alive on here?!?
I can't believe you didn't mention me as a Povetkin cheerleader.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #40
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
I can't believe you didn't mention me as a Povetkin cheerleader.
dont worry u certainly have enough time before the fight to work your way up the list of Povetkin nuthuggers
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #41
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This one should be the best HW fight of this year.
11player is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #42
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Vlad should have finished Peter in the 12th round while he had Peter drunk as Hell.

I hope Povetkin does not get seriously hurt. I would like to see him fight long into the future.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #43
headers14
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

It wont even be close
headers14 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #44
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

I'm a Povetkin nuthugger as well. I think you people are underating him...
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #45
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47
I'm a Povetkin nuthugger as well. I think you people are underating him...
i think povetkin is the 3rd or 4th best hw out there right now. he is very good but wlad is just way above the rest right now. id only favor wlad and peter over him right now.

i dont think it will be a blowout. povetkin will hang in there for the first 6 rounds and land some good shots but wlad's size and power will start to wear him down with the end coming in round 9 via a right-cross. povetkin is just too susceptible to punches right now and u can't let wlad put his hands on u like that for too long. win or lose, povetkin is gonna get busted up pretty badly.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum