Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #16
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hopkins Wright, where dose the winner stand historicaly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbear
Only names Trinidad, Oscar and Winky all naturally smaller than him.
Duran, Leonard and Hearns were all smaller than Hagler!

Griffth and Napoles were smaller than Monzon!

Winky walks around at a much bigger weight than Hopkins. Plus, he fought at 154, which is only a few pounds south and back in the day would be middleweight. Not to mention the dry out Winky does.

Trinidad was a proven middleweight.

Oscar was a proven light middle and even had the WBO 160 title.

Stop being silly. His record speaks for itself.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
You just can´t give him any credit, can´t you? He really didn´t lose those fights, worst way to look at he´s 1-1.

He lost both. Accept it. And I do give him some credit, I'd probably rank him Top 30 all-time actually. Not ahead of Jones though. Some people would possibly rate Monzon higher if he lost both fights to Valdes then beat, say, Marvin Johnson for the light-heavy title- but I wouldn't be one of them.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 AM   #18
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat

Winky walks around at a much bigger weight than Hopkins. Plus, he fought at 154, which is only a few pounds south and back in the day would be middleweight. Not to mention the dry out Winky does.

Monzon seldom gets any real credit for beating Napoles though actually. It was obvious he was too big and strong.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #19
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He's a great but personally I can't stand watching him.
His fight are dull,he isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eyes,and he was an arsehole to guys like Bouie Fisher and Lou DiBella who worked with him when he was nobody,but he keeps doing the business in the ring where it matters most.
He has to be rated as one of the best ever at 160 and is definately one of the finest fighters of his generation.I rate Jones Jnr higher personally as I think during his peak years(94-2000) he was better than Hops ever was ,but Bernard has sustained his effectiveness with age whereas Jones has declined significently in comparison.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
Stewbear
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat

Oscar and Trinidad had already been exposed while Hopkins started his career at 175.
Winky is also one of the most overrated fighters ever hopkins is not even top ten middleweight and it is criminal to compare him to Monzon and Hagler!
Stewbear is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #21
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins takes care of his body and has not had a lot of fights, so he is not burned out, He has more experience than most fighters today but this would not work for him vs the fighters of the past who also had the experience,or firepower like Lamotta,SSR, Hagler,Monzon,Ketchel but dispite his poor personality he is still a bonifide ATG and proved it with his wins over Tarver(inexperienced) Delahoya(blown up welter and Trinadad ditto) still he does not win like Hagler did Explosively(still Hagler did struggle with Vito in the 1st fight and SSL in his last) Hopkins has more of the slick, trickster,dirty,cagey,smart like Emile Griffith(who gave Monzon trouble), and Hopkins is a better middleweight than Griff...so I rank him top 10, Wright is were he was a top notcher today but short of an ATG
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Safe to say now that Hopkins vs Wright did nothing for either man.

Wright is not great and never will be imo.

Hopkins was great and now is just a spoiler.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #23
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Monzon seldom gets any real credit for beating Napoles though actually. It was obvious he was too big and strong.
Great middleweights set a precedent of fighting smaller guys. Hopkins followed suite BUT also defined himself by fighting at 175.

Hopkins seldom gets any real credit for beating Hopkins despite being old and stopping him.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #24
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbear
Oscar and Trinidad had already been exposed while Hopkins started his career at 175.
Winky is also one of the most overrated fighters ever hopkins is not even top ten middleweight and it is criminal to compare him to Monzon and Hagler!
Oscar and Tito exposed? Don't be silly.

You can't be overrated when you unify/dominate a division and haves names like Mosleyx2, Tito, Quartey and Taylor on your record!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #25
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I've never really done an all-time Top 30 list but I imagine places 27-30 will contain the likes of Napoles, Tiger, Griffith and Hopkins.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #26
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
His two losses to Taylor still look bad.

The rematch stands out more. Hopkins proved he had enough power to trouble Taylor late in their first fight. He should have went about his business with more authority during the rematch, but instead he stalled and never let his punches flow. He just should have gambled more than he did.

The Tarver win was impressive, and stands him in good stead for all-time great status.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

First my card: 115-115: A Draw

Rounds 1,3,5,11 and 12 for Hopkins. Rounds 2,4,6,7 and 9 for Winky. Rounds 8 and 10 even.

Felt it could have gone either way. If you gave my even rounds to either fighter, they win by a couple points. Lot of close rounds I felt, and I think a draw would have been a fair outcome.

Bit surprised that not that many felt Winky Wright won, I definitely think he has a case, as he did in the Taylor fight.

Hopkins was throwing some hard shots, but like always I think Winky did a good defensive job and didn't allow Hopkins to get much through that was meaningful. The cleanest punches Hopkins landed came in shoe-shines which were pretty ineffective on the whole. Winky landed some clean shots, but didn't really affect Hopkins that much with them given his lack of punching power.

Not a bad fight, both didn't look that bad considering, though they are both past their primes (Hopkins moreso than Wright).

Hopkins' age aside, which of course makes it amazing that he can still do what he does, I was actually more impressed with Wright that he could move up outside his comfort zone and match it with Bernard. At 160 Wright would have done a little better I feel, as Hopkins probably wouldn't have been able to tire Wright out as much as he did to vitally grab the last couple rounds.

Prime for prime I think Hopkins beats Wright, as he would be more active and quicker with his punches, though Wright would never make it easy for him.

I'm not sure what this fight does for each fighter's legacy....I'll give it some time to settle, maybe rewatch it two or three times and give it some thought later on.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #28
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

I NEVER thought MDWC would rank X top 30.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #29
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The difference with haglers 'small' opposition leonard,duran and hearns is that all of these were definate p4p atgs and all of them won good titles at middleweight. In fact hearns went to lt heavy/cruiser and ray went to super middle/light heavy...duran won a world title at middle and fought well even at 168.....De la hoya was crap at 160,tito was never the fighter he was and winky will never probably be a force above 160 never mind 175....Also didnt griffith win a middle strap as well? And napoles though small was a true ATG....Hopkins losing to Jt twice and avoiding challenges against toney,jones,benn,eubank,hill and other genuine fighters also blunts his resume....Hoppo is an atg but not in the league of hagler,monzon and co....At lt heavy he is a mirage,just like jones at heavy......Hoppos last few years are like pbfs,pure stage management,safety first money grabbing superficiality and trying to create a fake legacy whilst talking lots of crap and hype......Hes boring to boot.....Overrated though he is an atg....Seems to get props for lasting so long,by the same logic george foreman is the ATG at heavy!!!!!!!
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #30
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

So, how was the fight. Any good?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum