Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #31
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Hopkins Wright, where dose the winner stand historicaly?

At least Napoles was trying to hit Monzon. And for a while he was doing a good job of it.
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #32
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Interested in your take on the fight Sweetscientist. I rarely try and score fights (just try to enjoy them) but I did have a bit of a go, and after 6 rounds I gave up.

It all looked too close to call for me.

Hopkins did a great job of spoiling when it suited him. I think he controlled the fight.

Winky really struggled to land the southpaw jab. Probably the most I have seen him struggle in this regard.

Neither fighter landed too much clean. It was sort of an ugly fight, but fascinating because they are both so proficient.

I will not be revisiting it though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
First my card: 115-115: A Draw

Rounds 1,3,5,11 and 12 for Hopkins. Rounds 2,4,6,7 and 9 for Winky. Rounds 8 and 10 even.

Felt it could have gone either way. If you gave my even rounds to either fighter, they win by a couple points. Lot of close rounds I felt, and I think a draw would have been a fair outcome.

Bit surprised that not that many felt Winky Wright won, I definitely think he has a case, as he did in the Taylor fight.

Hopkins was throwing some hard shots, but like always I think Winky did a good defensive job and didn't allow Hopkins to get much through that was meaningful. The cleanest punches Hopkins landed came in shoe-shines which were pretty ineffective on the whole. Winky landed some clean shots, but didn't really affect Hopkins that much with them given his lack of punching power.

Not a bad fight, both didn't look that bad considering, though they are both past their primes (Hopkins moreso than Wright).

Hopkins' age aside, which of course makes it amazing that he can still do what he does, I was actually more impressed with Wright that he could move up outside his comfort zone and match it with Bernard. At 160 Wright would have done a little better I feel, as Hopkins probably wouldn't have been able to tire Wright out as much as he did to vitally grab the last couple rounds.

Prime for prime I think Hopkins beats Wright, as he would be more active and quicker with his punches, though Wright would never make it easy for him.

I'm not sure what this fight does for each fighter's legacy....I'll give it some time to settle, maybe rewatch it two or three times and give it some thought later on.
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #33
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHudson
Interested in your take on the fight Sweetscientist. I rarely try and score fights (just try to enjoy them) but I did have a bit of a go, and after 6 rounds I gave up.

It all looked too close to call for me.

Hopkins did a great job of spoiling when it suited him. I think he controlled the fight.

Winky really struggled to land the southpaw jab. Probably the most I have seen him struggle in this regard.

Neither fighter landed too much clean. It was sort of an ugly fight, but fascinating because they are both so proficient.

I will not be revisiting it though...

You're right Nick, Winky did struggle to land the jab, and he also did some wild swinging and missing with hooks which made him look silly, so Hopkins was doing well defensively. He also didn't allow Winky to outwork him by clinching at opportune times when he needed a break and continuing to land a few short sharp shots on the inside which didn't have much on them but got the judges' attention.

However I think Winky pretty much neutralised what Hopkins threw as well. I was watching the English telecast with Jim Watt and the boys on Sky Sports, and they were overflowing in their praise for Hopkins' combinations, but if you look closely, Wright was blocking quite a lot of his combinations. I checked compubox after the fight and Wright was actually more accurate and landed a tad more, which wasn't surprising, becuase he did do a good defensive job as well.

Both men blunted each other which is why I feel a draw or a close win either way would have been fair.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #34
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
To what extent is the winners legacy enhanced?
Not at all ,have you seen the "fight"?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #35
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

[quote=Sweet Pea]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
All 3 way better than Tito, Oscar, and Winky
See above

Winky walks around at a much bigger weight than Hopkins. Plus, he fought at 154, which is only a few pounds south and back in the day would be middleweight. Not to mention the dry out Winky does.

Hearns was a proven Cruiserweight, as were everyone he faced
So what if they are better?

Fighting at a weight and being a champ (like Tito and Oscar) is different. Plus I don't discredit Hagler for fighting Hearns etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum