boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #31
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes Latest Remarks, ALI, Lewis,Frazier..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
I don't know how this became a "which is the better person of Holmes and Ali" - thread...
Right, good point. Anybody wanna claim, all things considered, that Holmes was a better fighter than Ali?
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #32
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'm agreeing with CHin on this one. If I had as many beautiful women on me as muhammad ali I'd probably be a man ***** too. On a sidenote Larry Holmes is a **** and he looked like a ****ing gecko when Tyson knocked him out. And by his own logic there should be no excuses for that since according to Holmes Ali should have been able to fight him just fine at 38 years old.
werety is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holmes said in his book that he knew that Ali wasn't a very good gym fighter. He also said that he got his ass kicked all through out 1971, and by 1972 it was getting a little closer, and by the end of 73 he was giving Muhammad a run for his money. He said he felt by 1975 he could take Ali in a real fight, and felt he couldn't learn much more so he left. In my opinion Holmes could have beaten Ali in a real fight from about the Roy Williams fight on. So about 1976 or so. It's odd, he give Norton a ton of respect and such. I think he's the type of fighter where if you're in a war with him, you earn a ton of respect from him. Hagler was the same way in that manner.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #34
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by werety
I'm agreeing with CHin on this one. If I had as many beautiful women on me as muhammad ali I'd probably be a man ***** too. On a sidenote Larry Holmes is a **** and he looked like a ****ing gecko when Tyson knocked him out. And by his own logic there should be no excuses for that since according to Holmes Ali should have been able to fight him just fine at 38 years old.
He looked like a gecko? But you're right Larry was definately holding a double standard there. Larry is truly a different guy in person, it seems he just acts up and mouths off when the media is around. Him and Joe Frazier are really best buddies and him and Muhammad are still pals.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #35
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
What I've noticed is, he's an ass when the media is around, but when they're not he's a very nice guy and very mellow and down to Earth. Funny how the reporters or cameras can change a person.
Lot's of people say this about him, to be fair. They say he has a stupid man's paranoia without being stupid. Regardless I'd like to see a bit more respect for these great fighters.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #36
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Lot's of people say this about him, to be fair. They say he has a stupid man's paranoia without being stupid. Regardless I'd like to see a bit more respect for these great fighters.
He gives plenty of it out in the gym and in his resturant.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #37
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

People seem to understand Frazier's irritation with Ali more than Holmes.

At least Frazier didn't have to work in Ali's shadow for years and be directly compared to him for even longer.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #38
tomasi80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
In Hauser's biography on Ali there's a story on how Holmes bragged to a paper that he was in fact the better fighter. Ali heard about it and gave Holmes a solid spanking when they sparred the next time.

ali gave him black eye one time, which holmes was very proud of and in that famous sparring, after every round where ali spanks him, he said... o larry, you're so gooood... sooooo fast... you shoulda been a champion, not me... and then another round and another spanking.... nice story!
tomasi80 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #39
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Poor Larry. He was only one of the greatest heavyweights of all time.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #40
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its not larry's fault that Foreman didnt want to fight him, dominating someone like him would have really sealed his legacy.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #41
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 590

Larry Holmes is the Greatest Heavyweight Champion they never want to acknowledge.
Boxing History can't hold his Jock strap.

H2H Vs. Anyone, Gimme Holmes.
[52 year old Homes still was kicking ass...]
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 02:55 AM   #42
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Greater than Ali, Liston, Marciano, Frazier, etc. or just the greatest that nobody wants to acknowledge?
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #43
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 590

Greatest that nobody wants to acknowledge?
But at the same time, besides Louis & Ali...Who else can beat him?
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #44
spion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Looking back over Larry's career I understand his anger. First of all he was not as verbally gifted as say Ali, having dropped out of school in seventh grade to help out his family. Holmes never had the Olympic credentials that offer exposure and the ability to generate decent cash when beginning a pro career. Larry began on undercards for little cash and usually held a full time job on the side. After toiling away in the division he becomes HW champion at the end of the Ali era and people are searching for another likeable, talkative champ to fill the void left my Muhammad. Larry was not that guy, instead the people took to Ray Leonard and others. Larry didn't do himself any favors by beating "The Greatest" in a one sided affair either, though Holmes himself did not want that match. Holmes defended his title for seven and a half years and at nearly every fight people rooted for his opponent. Norton(for the title), Shavers, ****ey, etc.. Often times Holmes, enraged by the lack of respect and attention he was given would erupt. People would be outraged and the press would eat it up and label Larry a poor sport. Holmes had no way to win in his position as he saw it. He was the Rodney Dangerfiled of the champions. He had great talent, courage and championship heart but he never captivated the media which manipulates the audiences feelings about individuals. To this day headlines scream "Holmes kicked out of Hall of Fame" and such. They still love to justify their stories that Holmes is a jerk, he is bitter. The reality is much different though and those who actually know Larry know the REAL story. Aside from being married to the same woman for nearly thirty years and a family man one never heard of Holmes in trouble with the law for drugs, DUI, assault or womanizing etc.. He donates his time and money to charities and is generous with friends and family. He worked hard at his job and held the title for seven and one half years and then came out of retirement to fight till age 52 and still could have beaten top ten fighters even at that age!

From a personal point of view I know Larry to be one of the funniest, most sincere and generous men I have met. Always willing to help out without asking for anything in return. Sure he may pop off once in a while and the press might point to his statements and shout to us "hey look what an ass this guy is" but MUCH is taken out of context. Larry does say what he is feeling and he is always telling things as he honestly sees it. Some things Larry says we don't want to accept and it is easy to just call Holmes an ass or a jerk as has been promoted by the media which is a shame because listening to Larry you find out a lot of truth in his words.
spion is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #45
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

Spion - good post. Absolutely right.

I loved, and still love, "The Easton Assassin". He was a brave, though provoking man, who was unfortunately the victim of being Ali's following act, but without the Olympic credentials/management. He was a fine boxer, no, a great one, with one of the most reverred jabs of all the weight divisions.

I remember in ad back in 1984 that was running in the sports magazines - it said, "If you ask the average man on the street who's the Heavyweight Champion of the World, he's not going to say 'well you see, there are three ...'. No, he's going to say 'Larry Holmes'.

That's how I felt about it. He was a true Champion.
El Matador is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum