Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the body... there's organs in there
Posts: 938
vCash: 1000
Default the mysterious traits of the south paws

two things i notice about south paws that are pretty interesting from what i know,

1. in comparsion to pac and hamed, southpaws at the world class level are dominantly slick jabbing fighters who most often are hard to hit.

cory spinks
zab judah
paul spadaforda
pernell whitaker
michael nunn
chris byrd
joel casamayor
hector comacho
sharmba mitchell
derrick gainer
winky wright (was a slick southpaw untill utalizing a good shell defense)
ivan colderan

2. alot of southpaws are really right handed

hector comacho
michael moorer
paul spadaforda
winky wright
marvin hagler

and it is rumored that pernell whitaker is abidextious


is there any reason to these traits such as "south paw fighters are naturally akward" or "the balance is more stable when you lead with you favored foot"

or is this all just coincedence
good right hand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,121
vCash: 1493
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Well the jab comes from two things, the most obvious being its not what a fighter is most used to seeing as it comes from a different angle, the first hand to drop is usually the lead hand, which is what would be used to block or parry a southpaws jab, and its more natural to parry or block punches with the right hand for most orthodox fightes

the second being when it comes to fighting south paws orthodox fighters are usually almost single mindedly concerned with the left hand, as there are very few southpaws with power in both hands, so the jab is almost conceded in a way. A sort of combination of the two is that orthodox fighters usually circle to their left against a southpaw to avoid the power of left hand, which creates a short distance and good angle for the southpaw to jab.
Beebs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Sai
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 110
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

I think its basically just due to the fact that the guy you are facing is more used to an orthodox opponent rather than anything physical. If you think about it, 2 orthodox fighters are used to fighting orthodox guys wheras a southpaw vs orthdox, the southpaw is used to fighting orthodox guys and the orthodox guy isnt used to fighting southpaws so thats where the confusion comes in.

If you can add to it by fighting in an even more "unorthodox" way then it makes it even harder for the orthdox fighter to prepare and adjust for the fight. See one Mr Joe Calzaghe for a southpaw who fights in a really bizzare way with great success.
Sai is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the body... there's organs in there
Posts: 938
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

good points
good right hand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
liljp361
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

well i mean to be honest both stances give completely different angles...different ways to move out of the way which may be seem easier for certain fighters...many different things
liljp361 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YUL
Posts: 38,158
vCash: 5685
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by good right hand
1. in comparsion to pac and hamed, southpaws at the world class level are dominantly slick jabbing fighters who most often are hard to hit.
are you saying that Pac is NOT a world class level southpaw?
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 563
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by good right hand


is there any reason to these traits such as "south paw fighters are naturally akward" or "the balance is more stable when you lead with you favored foot"

or is this all just coincedence
It largely has to be because most boxers aren't properly taught to fight south paws. They don't look so awkward against a Hopkins.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 704
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Depends how well trained the boxer is .... being a southpaw isn't much of a advantage when you fight a B-Hop.
Daruf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
are you saying that Pac is NOT a world class level southpaw?
He's saying that Pac and Hamed are exceptions to the rule.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #10
kirk
C1
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ill swallow my Blood before i swallow my Pride
Posts: 25,149
vCash: 1001
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

i am a southpaw, but im right handed... honestly, i cant fight the other way, i can hit mitts, bag, ect, orthodox... but when it comes to FIGHTING... i just... cant do it. its just so uncomfortable, having my main leg and my main arm forward, i just dont understand how people do it otherwise.
kirk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "Just fucken jabbem heaps Choc!"
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 1325
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

the thing that I've noticed about southpaws...and correct me if I'm imagining things here guys...is that they jab with their RIGHT and cross with their LEFT

Spooky mother****ing shit man, get Mulder and Scully onto this right away
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
good right hand
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the body... there's organs in there
Posts: 938
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
He's saying that Pac and Hamed are exceptions to the rule.
exactly, sorry for a not being clear.
good right hand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
i am a southpaw, but im right handed... honestly, i cant fight the other way, i can hit mitts, bag, ect, orthodox... but when it comes to FIGHTING... i just... cant do it. its just so uncomfortable, having my main leg and my main arm forward, i just dont understand how people do it otherwise.
exactly if you had a sword you would put it in your front hand not the backhand



im naturally left handed but im stronger with my right hand becuase i jab, hook ,muscle out with it. but yea i feel you shouold have your stronger hand infront.

but the point is that the left hand is not used as much we wont use it becuase most of are tools are in the other hand.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
CASH_718
"You ****ed Healy?"
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 1644
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by good right hand
two things i notice about south paws that are pretty interesting from what i know,

1. in comparsion to pac and hamed, southpaws at the world class level are dominantly slick jabbing fighters who most often are hard to hit.

cory spinks
zab judah
paul spadaforda
pernell whitaker
michael nunn
chris byrd
joel casamayor
hector comacho
sharmba mitchell
derrick gainer
winky wright (was a slick southpaw untill utalizing a good shell defense)
ivan colderan

2. alot of southpaws are really right handed

hector comacho
michael moorer
paul spadaforda
winky wright
marvin hagler

and it is rumored that pernell whitaker is abidextious


is there any reason to these traits such as "south paw fighters are naturally akward" or "the balance is more stable when you lead with you favored foot"

or is this all just coincedence
Hamad was never slick in his younger day.
CASH_718 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the mysterious traits of the south paws

i feel the best southpaws are guys who are very well schooled have a jab and a left hand readily available and are very orthodox in the aproach that they take. but with a very awkward twist becuase they are lefty's everything is coming in the wrong direction but boxed that any boxer in a righty stance would do.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013