Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default A remake of the Great White Hope?

If they shot this film again,I would have Kevin Mcbride for the Willard role,but who plays Johnson and Jeffries? Actors or boxers take your pick.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

Default Re: A remake of the Great White Hope?

GOLBERG with a toopa would make an awsome jeffries-ha ha,lou gosset jr played a good role as a boxer in diggstown,have u seen it-but his age and size would also be factors.I know what JEFFRIES said but do u think johnson could have lasted againt a prime JEFFRIES instead of the weak,recently starved JEFFRIES
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilist_boyd
GOLBERG with a toopa would make an awsome jeffries-ha ha,lou gosset jr played a good role as a boxer in diggstown,have u seen it-but his age and size would also be factors.I know what JEFFRIES said but do u think johnson could have lasted againt a prime JEFFRIES instead of the weak,recently starved JEFFRIES
I think prime for prime Johnson beats Jeffries by dec,it wouldnt be the one sided blow out their fight was, Jeffries wasn't in Johnsons class as a boxer ,but he was very durable,brave and strong .
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Kevin Mcbride would make a poor Willard imo. He is not as big as Jess Willard was. He be too short for the role. I think we need a strong tall actor for the part. A Ivan Drago type of thing I suppose.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hard to beat Jame Earl Jones, and that movie at all in my opinion. They'd have to find an unknown actor who could look believable with his mitts. Rather that than a boxer who can't act.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Kevin Mcbride would make a poor Willard imo. He is not as big as Jess Willard was. He be too short for the role. I think we need a strong tall actor for the part. A Ivan Drago type of thing I suppose.
Kevin Mcbride is 6 6 ,a 1/4 of an inch shorter than Willard and when he fought Tyson he weighed 270lbs,44 lbs more than Willard when he beat Johnson.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This movie remake should have been done a few years back with guys like Mario Van Peebles, Omar Epps, Cuba Gooding Jr and Ving Rhames playing significant roles. Patrcia Arquette or Charlize Theron or both could have played the parts of Etta Dureyea and Lucille Cameron, wives of Jack Johnson. Characters for Sam Langford, Blackburn, Harry Wills, McVey, Joe Louis and even Jack Dempsey could have been incorporated into the storyline as well. As for who plays Willard, Jeffries, Ketchel and Corbett, I'm sure there would have been enough enthusiasts of the sport from Hollywood to give the parts a try. This is one movie that could be justified for a three hour duration if the script is solid and historically accurate.

The Ali movie directed by Michael Mann was by far the worst piece of boxing junk on film that I've ever seen. Just like the TV networks who repeatedly deny the FOTC any air time, the event itself was ridiculously made out as practically a non-event in the movie. Manilla was ignored in the movie as was the Norton trilogy.
round15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum