Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #136
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sugar Ray Leonard: best P4P since Robinson, best welterweight ever, or neither??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Anyway. Keep up the good work. I do enjoy not just debating, but also agreeing on the same points and expanding them somewhat in return. You have always been in tune with myself on many points in the past. I did enjoy our Whitaker v Duran debate a few months ago. A few pages worth for good measure as well.
That one got a little heated -especially between Sweet Pea and I. You were the mediator if I remember correctly, but jumped on any points I made that you saw as off. And you still do and I appreciate it.

PS/ the pic in your avator is not one I've seen. It's a beauty.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #137
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Default Re: Sugar Ray Leonard: best P4P since Robinson, best welterweight ever, or neither??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
That one got a little heated -especially between Sweet Pea and I. You were the mediator if I remember correctly, but jumped on any points I made that you saw as off. And you still do and I appreciate it.

PS/ the pic in your avator is not one I've seen. It's a beauty.
Stonehands. The Duran v Whitaker discussion at lightweight was myself and you. Pea got involved, although briefly, but it was us with in depth stuff over a few pages. It wasn't really heated. We just bounced off each other throughout our debate.

Yours and Pea's started about Whitaker and Hearns at welterweight. He said he thought Whitaker would last the distance. That was the one got a little heated. Thats the one your thinking about.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #138
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Stonehands. The Duran v Whitaker discussion at lightweight was myself and you. Pea got involved, although briefly, but it was us with in depth stuff over a few pages. It wasn't really heated. We just bounced off each other throughout our debate.

Yours and Pea's started about Whitaker and Hearns at welterweight. He said he thought Whitaker would last the distance. That was the one got a little heated. Thats the one your thinking about.
You probably right- but there was more than one Duran-Whitaker debate (or Whitaker-Duran fight. Haha).
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #139
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Leonard was my hero as a kid, but I couldn't rate him ahead of Ali or Duran P4P. Duran was incredible at Lightweight. I rate Leonard second at Welter (Sugar Ray Robby was best at welter). Great thread discussion.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #140
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

^Sanchez was indeed fighter of 1981 because Gomez was favored in the fight. ANytime a man is a solid favorite and you destroy him, as Sanchez did to Gomez, as Norris did to Leonard, and Ali with Foreman, that makes you the best boxer of your time.

They essentially won their respective fights early on, taking the fight to the other man and putting fierce pressure mixed with speed, daring and intelligence making. I think Gomez came out the worst because of all the facial damage while his eyes became mere slits. Leonard merely came out of his fight humiliated and Foreman came out with mental problems afterwards but now he is a nicer guy.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #141
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

Leonard was really smart.
He won with his brains as much as his physical skills.
The one exception was his first Duran bout - his judgment failed him.
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #142
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorceryatCaesar
Leonard was really smart.
He won with his brains as much as his physical skills.
The one exception was his first Duran bout - his judgment failed him.
Have you read this book yet? If so then what can you say about it?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #143
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
He's the author of the book Rooster.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Click on that link and browse to the bottom of the page.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #144
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

^ What amazingly gifted writer!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #145
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum