Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Lifting

What kind of weight lifting is good for a boxing workout? Being that I never have used weights before I would like to know what exercises work well. I heard that certain ones slow you down. thanks in advance.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
yung-gun1

Default Re: Lifting

You wanna work for strength and power. I'd suggest Rippetoes since this would be your first time.

Workout 1-
Squat - 3X5
Bench - 3X5
Deadlift - 1X5

Workout 2-
Squat - 3X5
Military Press - 3X5
Power clean or row - 3X5

These two workouts are alternated in 3 consecutive week days, M/W/F, Tues/Thurs/Sat, W/F/Sun
yung-gun1 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

if u wanna gain weight do heavy weight low reps. to gain endurance, do more reps of a lower weight. i do both...but i also don't care if i gain some weight
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
Sagefrancis
Journeyman

Location: I dont know where I am, but I know how fast im going

if you want to gain weight eat alot more, if you dont eat what you do and you probly wont gain any weight at all even if you lift alot.
Sagefrancis is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Leon20

imo the key to not gaining weight is doing low reps with long rests between sets and watching what you eat, strength has more to do with your nervous system than the size of your muscles.
Leon20 is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

Fellas - you only GAIN WEIGHT if you EAT.
If you don't eat larger amounts than normal, you will not GAIN WEIGHT, only strength.

Now, if it's maximal strength, power, endurance, that depends on the reps.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 AM   #7
Sagefrancis
Journeyman

Location: I dont know where I am, but I know how fast im going

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
Fellas - you only GAIN WEIGHT if you EAT.
If you don't eat larger amounts than normal, you will not GAIN WEIGHT, only strength.

Now, if it's maximal strength, power, endurance, that depends on the reps.
good to see someone knows what he's talking about.
Sagefrancis is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

If you're new to lifting... then start off with the basic lifts:

Squats - works the Glutes and Quads
Stiff-legged Deadlifts - for your hamstrings
Rows/Pulldowns (palms in) - works the Lats and Biceps
Bench - for the Pecs
Shoulder Press - Deltoids
Calf-raises - Soleus and Gastrocnimeus

Work your way up to 3 sets of each using the basic 8-12 reps to failure. Then go and study weight-lifting for athletics/strength (not bodybuilding) and add to your repertoire.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

OK i think i need to give my situation- i'm 5'9" 135-140 lbs and I eat pretty healthy (no fast food, pop, candy etc). i don't have a very high body fat percentage. I'd like to be able to throw more punches without getting as tired. What can i do for that?

Also, i'm not trying to come off like a smartass or anything, but what good does benchpressing do? It seems like a big waste of time because you don't really use your pecs much in boxing. Or do you and i'm just an idiot? i'm just wondering, someone enlighten me please. thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
yung-gun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mac
OK i think i need to give my situation- i'm 5'9" 135-140 lbs and I eat pretty healthy (no fast food, pop, candy etc). i don't have a very high body fat percentage. I'd like to be able to throw more punches without getting as tired. What can i do for that?

Also, i'm not trying to come off like a smartass or anything, but what good does benchpressing do? It seems like a big waste of time because you don't really use your pecs much in boxing. Or do you and i'm just an idiot? i'm just wondering, someone enlighten me please. thanks
For throwing punches without getting tired keep shadowboxing and working the speedbag and heavy bag. Could try benchpressing for endurance on your shoulders...

And the way I see it, throw a punch and stop at contraction and keep all muscle's used contracted, or try. Then feel what muscles are flexed. If you punch you do feel you pec contracted alittle.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbible
Squats - works the Glutes and Quads
Stiff-legged Deadlifts - for your hamstrings
Rows/Pulldowns (palms in) - works the Lats and Biceps
Bench - for the Pecs
Shoulder Press - Deltoids
Calf-raises - Soleus and Gastrocnimeus
deadlifts also work lower back, bench also works anterior delts and triceps
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
deadlifts also work lower back, bench also works anterior delts and triceps
Oh ok thanks! I guess I would also like to strengthen/condition my legs for dipping down for body shots and defending hooks etc because that seems to make me tired faster as well. Should I do alot of squats for that? Or something else?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
yung-gun1

Quote:
Oh ok thanks! I guess I would also like to strengthen/condition my legs for dipping down for body shots and defending hooks etc because that seems to make me tired faster as well. Should I do alot of squats for that? Or something else?
Do heavy squats. I think it'll make your bodyweight feel less. Along with running to up your endurance. Also pratice dipping.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
boxerpuncher069

Quote:
What kind of weight lifting is good for a boxing workout? Being that I never have used weights before I would like to know what exercises work well. I heard that certain ones slow you down. thanks in advance.
I lift sparingly, my routine is pull downs, 3 sets 12 reps,
military press(overhead shoulder press) 3 sets 12 reps
bench 3 sets 12 reps
dips 3 sets 12 reps
bicep curls 3 sets 12 reps
sit ups 2 sets 60 reps each.

i have a nasty physique weighing in at 215 lbs at 6'1" and am pretty damn lean. I find that i hit harder than ever after all the lifting i do.

generally i box 4 rounds on the heavy bag every other day, lift on the same day as the heavy bag, and i do cardio for an hour on the day i don't box.

I have seen marked improvement all together in all areas, from power to speed to stamina. I'm a better athlete period.
boxerpuncher069 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerpuncher069
I lift sparingly, my routine is pull downs, 3 sets 12 reps,
military press(overhead shoulder press) 3 sets 12 reps
bench 3 sets 12 reps
dips 3 sets 12 reps
bicep curls 3 sets 12 reps
sit ups 2 sets 60 reps each.

i have a nasty physique weighing in at 215 lbs at 6'1" and am pretty damn lean. I find that i hit harder than ever after all the lifting i do.

generally i box 4 rounds on the heavy bag every other day, lift on the same day as the heavy bag, and i do cardio for an hour on the day i don't box.

I have seen marked improvement all together in all areas, from power to speed to stamina. I'm a better athlete period.
that workout sux balls. thats a body builder workout. also 4 rounds on the heavy bag????? comeon. if you want to be good do atleast 12 rds heavy bag and 12 rds shadow box everyday with sunday off. cardio everyday and dont do 1 hour cardio do HIIT. this is what i do for wresstling and i dont get tired in wrestling and boxing is a breeze. take a stopwatch and 40 yards. put the stop watch on and you sprint the 40 yards then rest until 20 second mark and sprint again then rest till the 40 second mark go up and up until 5 minutes is up. then 1 min rest repeat for a total of 3x work up to 15 rds.

this is a good workout

Mon: 3x5 squats, 3x5 benchpress(or shoulder press alt every day), 3xmax pullups if you can do 15 or more than add weight so that you can only do 15.
Weds: 3x5 squat, 3x5 bench or (shoulderpress alt every day), 1x5 deadlift
Fri: 3x5 squat, 3x5 bench or (shoulderpress alt every day), 3x max chinups if you do 15 or more than add weight so you can only do 15

if your a begginer you shouldmake gains ez add 5-10 pds to each lift everytime you lift. once you cant add weight anymore then you want to drop the wight. if your squatting 250 consisitently with no gains then drop it to 230 and make 5 pd increases each week and you should make gains again. do cardio and boxing everyday except sundays. i also like to crosstrain with wrestling and kickboxing.
younghypnotiq is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing