Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Ray Leonr isn't a true legend

Terry Norris sure let Keith Mullings, Dana Rosenblatt, and Laurent Boudouani get away with kicking his ass.

I wonder why Norris didn't want any more after those drubbings. I can't believe, at the tender age of 29, he'd let Mullings beat his career into submission.

I guess Hagler was getting kind of old when he faced Leonard. He was only about 2 years younger than Leonard was when he faced Norris. I still can't believe Hagler let Leonard beat him into retirement.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5000

Leonard is a legend.
[Some Legend's are Murderer's outside the ring...]
Hatesrats is online now  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
Terry Norris sure let Keith Mullings, Dana Rosenblatt, and Laurent Boudouani get away with kicking his ass.

I wonder why Norris didn't want any more after those drubbings. I can't believe, at the tender age of 29, he'd let Mullings beat his career into submission.

I guess Hagler was getting kind of old when he faced Leonard. He was only about 2 years younger than Leonard was when he faced Norris. I still can't believe Hagler let Leonard beat him into retirement.
Maybe thats because leonard was too chicken for a rematch, the reason being he knew he lost. Like he said at the post fight interview "I'm beat and want to go home"
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
What? Leonard admitted himself he was a coke head....

A nasty, nasty man with very few redeemable qualities. He was the finest fighter of the 80s, but there was a lot more classier fighters around in the era IMO.
Someone claimed he was on the downlow.I hope that's not true.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

And Hopkins was 2 years older than Leonard when his career took off so what's your point?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
My favorite moment at Madison Square Garden was seeing Duran win his third title vs. the favorite Moore. Just when everyone thought Roberto was finished.

My second favorite moment was when Terry Norris set himself apart as a legend in the making and humiliated Sugar Ray Leonard in the process.

The Garden was a great place! Let's hope they never tear it down.

My 3 favorite moment was watching Hagler tear Hamsho into pieces to the approval of all us Hagler fans.
So that's where this comes from Rooster!!! I never knew where all the hatred stemmed from! I'm no Leonard fan either in honesty, dont really disllike him though either.

PS- Your first fave Garden moment, the best part is after it when he's in the ring, he cried, Roberto cried, when the fans went wild for him.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #22
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
So that's where this comes from Rooster!!! I never knew where all the hatred stemmed from! I'm no Leonard fan either in honesty, dont really disllike him though either.

PS- Your first fave Garden moment, the best part is after it when he's in the ring, he cried, Roberto cried, when the fans went wild for him.
I remember sitting up in the cheap seats watching Marvin destroy Mustafa. The place almost came down from the noise. The young Olympians were dull by comparison.

BTW, it's considered to be cool if you're a Hagler fan or a Duran fan.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Sugar Ray Leonard is the truth. He has the best 4 wins in the history of boxing, and his win to overcome Hagler is a remarkable achievement - up there with Ali vs Foreman and Douglas vs Tyson.

Top 3 P4P all time for my money. Not based on longevity, but skillwise, resume, and his ability to overcome all obstacles make him special.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #24
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Sugar Ray Leonard is the truth. He has the best 4 wins in the history of boxing, and his win to overcome Hagler is a remarkable achievement - up there with Ali vs Foreman and Douglas vs Tyson.

Top 3 P4P all time for my money. Not based on longevity, but skillwise, resume, and his ability to overcome all obstacles make him special.
Not to mention the worst loss in history to Norris (3-1 underdog). Not much of an overcomer now is he?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #25
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Norris-Leonard. Can you say "choke"?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #26
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=rekcutnevets]Leonard immediately gave Duran a rematch.quote]

How did Leonard "give" Duran a rematch when he had lost the first fight convincingly?

Leonard received a rematch.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #27
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Norris-Leonard. Can you say "choke"?
Leonard was shot. Ray looked about done when he won the light-heavyweight title from LaLonde, and that was three years earlier.

Mentioning the Norris-Leonard fight is like mentioning Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis, Eric Morales vs David Diaz, Muhammad Ali vs Holmes, Roy Jones Jr vs Glenn Johnson, Duran vs Pazienza, Holmes vs Tyson. They were way past their best, and the loss in no way hurts their overall legacy.

Prime Leonard always defeats prime Norris.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #28
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
Leonard was shot. Ray looked about done when he won the light-heavyweight title from LaLonde, and that was three years earlier.

Mentioning the Norris-Leonard fight is like mentioning Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis, Eric Morales vs David Diaz, Muhammad Ali vs Holmes, Roy Jones Jr vs Glenn Johnson, Duran vs Pazienza, Holmes vs Tyson. They were way past their best, and the loss in no way hurts their overall legacy.

Prime Leonard always defeats prime Norris.
He was doing just fine until Norris put the fear of God in him with that left hook and uppercut. Leonard knew his place-second place.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
How did Leonard "give" Duran a rematch when he had lost the first fight convincingly?

Leonard received a rematch.
Because this is not a normal fighter we're talking about. It's Ray Leonard, quite possibly boxing's biggest star and talent ever. Any time Ray Leonard is in the ring his opponent is sharing the ring with greatness, and should be grateful. Whether he won or lost in his first encounter with Duran is unimportant. Duran was the one receiving the opportunity with a rematch.

Sorry, I was trying to be as silly as you only coming from another angle.

I was stating they fought again shortly after their first encounter. You had suggested that Leonard waited 9 years for a rematch. Leonard waited 9 years for a 3rd fight that was all about a pay day with very little in the way of historical significance.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #30
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Because this is not a normal fighter we're talking about. It's Ray Leonard, quite possibly boxing's biggest star and talent ever. Any time Ray Leonard is in the ring his opponent is sharing the ring with greatness, and should be grateful. Whether he won or lost in his first encounter with Duran is unimportant. Duran was the one receiving the opportunity with a rematch.

Sorry, I was trying to be as silly as you only coming from another angle.

I was stating they fought again shortly after their first encounter. You had suggested that Leonard waited 9 years for a rematch. Leonard waited 9 years for a 3rd fight that was all about a pay day with very little in the way of historical significance.
I wasn't the one who stated that. That quote came from another poster, Radianttwilight although he was 100% correct in what he said.

You however are incorrect. Leonard never waited for anyone. He makes other people wait as befits a pampered son of royalty. Don't think he was too anxious for another go at Norris though after that bruising. Leonard wasn't especially fond of getting hit.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum