Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3728
Default Thomas Hearns Vs. Felix Trindad (147)

Speak on it, here is your Fantasy ticket.....
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Hatesrats; 07-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thomas Hearns Vs. Felix Trindad (147)

Seriously, i wanna strike first on thisone, Trinidad wins it imo.

Without a doubt the most underrated fighter on ESB- WITHOUT A DOUBT.

People are gunna talk about his chin and Tommy's power, but you look at it properly, and apart from some early fight that i havent seen, Tito was never hurt at welter, only ever flash KDs. Tito never did learn to cut off the ring at the highest level though, and Hearns could most definitely outbox him, but it would be wishful thinking by 1 to entertaint the thought that this one goes to the cards, it's just not gunna be Tommy's nature, as Trinidad will hit him with something throughout and Tommy will gladly oblige. I dont care how fast you are, how powerful you are, or how ferocious you are, 95% of the time against a prime Tito on his best day, you slug it out with him and there's 1 outcome. The war would hot up, and an overhand right over the top of one of Tommy's sickening bodyshots closes this imo, if he gets up dazed,,,,,, left hook and thats that.

This is no disrespect to the Hitman, more of a respect being payed, and rightly so, to the man i consider one of the top 2 or 3 finiishers ever, when he had you hurt it was over, and i believe Tommy was chinnier than him, and with that power, Tito could hurt Hearns
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

teeto, I respect your analysis and find it very much possible. I do, however, disagree.

Trinidad was powerful puncher at welter, Maurice Blocker can attest to that. I just don't feel he was the puncher he became at junior middle, and middlweight. The way he looked when he blasted Joppy out was something. Joppy has yet to receive that kind of thrashing from anyone else. As I'm typing this about his power being a little less at welter, I' really wondering if it would come into play.

Trinidad, in his fights with Hopkins and Wright, seems to be tamed by a good jab. When fighters stop jabbing, like De la Hoya, we see that he is still ready to come on strong. I just don't see Hearns throwing forgetting to use his against Felix. Felix would not apply the same intensity used by Barkley, or Hagler even. Trinidad fights at a more measured pace.

Hearns by 9 round stoppage.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Hearns KO6. Just plain too good and versatile allround for the overrated Trinidad. Hearns could choose to box behind his jab if he wished but he could also start off in seek and destory mode. I think once Trinidad tastes Tommys power he'd enventually be worn down and stopped
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hearns was never outboxed. At times he was chopped down but Trinidad can't do that here. Felix will have to take some risks to get at him and Hearns will make him pay.

I can honestly see this being another latin blowout (Duran, Cuevas) for Tommy.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzard
Hearns was never outboxed. At times he was chopped down but Trinidad can't do that here. Felix will have to take some risks to get at him and Hearns will make him pay.

Exactly right.

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

I give Trinidad a puncher's chance, but Hearns was too good a boxer, IMO.

Hearns via mid/late stoppage.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Hearns TKO for me mid-to-late rounds.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
teeto, I respect your analysis and find it very much possible. I do, however, disagree.

Trinidad was powerful puncher at welter, Maurice Blocker can attest to that. I just don't feel he was the puncher he became at junior middle, and middlweight. The way he looked when he blasted Joppy out was something. Joppy has yet to receive that kind of thrashing from anyone else. As I'm typing this about his power being a little less at welter, I' really wondering if it would come into play.

Trinidad, in his fights with Hopkins and Wright, seems to be tamed by a good jab. When fighters stop jabbing, like De la Hoya, we see that he is still ready to come on strong. I just don't see Hearns throwing forgetting to use his against Felix. Felix would not apply the same intensity used by Barkley, or Hagler even. Trinidad fights at a more measured pace.

Hearns by 9 round stoppage.
I respect this opinion of yours aswell rekcutnevets, as you have an actual real opinion and have analysed the fight well and come to a conclusion that i do see possible also. You havent just simply went with what is becoming a ludicrous general consensus on ESB and overrated Trinidad.

Very good post!
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzard

There's no way Tommy's doing to Trinidad what he did to Duran or Cuevas.

While I agree that Hearns should be favored here, picking the kind of outcome that occurred to Cuevas and Duran is a stretch. A decision or late stoppage is probably a more practical and likely conclusion. Trinidad was stopped but once in his whole career by TKO in the 12th round against a natural middleweight. He was also fighting out of his natural and best weight class. Duran was easily destroyed, partially because his style was better suited for Hearns along with being past his prime. Cuevas was stopped numerous times in his career, and who's durability is hardly on par with Tito's. If anything, Hearn's chin was more questionable than Trinidad's, but I'll still give Tommy the edge, as I believe he had the overall skills and athleticism to take this fight one way or another..........Just NOT in two rounds............

Last edited by mr. magoo; 07-01-2008 at 12:52 PM.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
There's no way Tommy's doing to Trinidad what he did to Duran or Cuevas.
Why not?

That's exactly what people would have said prior to both fights.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I'm totally shocked anyone would consider picking Trinidad. They both could punch and were vulnerable. However, Trinidad was knocked down around half a dozen times at welterweight against fighters who weren't in the same class as Hearns as fighters or finishers. You just need to look at the how their styles would gel. Trinidad was very static, flat-footed, and wasn't free flowing like Hearns. Trinidad was a slow starter and Hearns was a faster starter. And I'm afraid to say that Hearns would get to Trinidad before vice versa. Not just because Trinidad was a slow starter, but the styles. The jab of Hearns down the middle would land easily on Trinidad, who lacked head movement. Hearns was also quicker with his hands.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Both great punchers, I'd probably give the slight edge power-wise to Hearns. Hearns was chinny, while Tito more or less just had shaky legs, and not a great chin I think we can agree on. Both are capable of hurting the other, both are capable of possibly stopping the other if one is hurt. Then again, if it took Leonard as long as it did to stop Hearns even after hurting him in round 7, I find it hard to believe that Tito(despite being a harder puncher) would do so at any early point, as I think Leonard was a better finisher in that he was much faster and quicker to land his follow up combinations.

What it comes down to is, both are great punchers, both can be hurt, Hearns is the FAR better boxer, is the taller fighter with the better reach, and has the better accuracy, fighting a very hittable fighter. Both are capable of hurting the other when they strike, but I find it hard to believe that Tito lands first given all that I just stated, even if he does just bull in, in which case that right hand that landed on Hagler would take Tito out early. Maybe 1/10 Tito wins.

Teeto, your boy may be underrated by some, but better than Hearns?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Both great punchers, I'd probably give the slight edge power-wise to Hearns. Hearns was chinny, while Tito more or less just had shaky legs, and not a great chin I think we can agree on. Both are capable of hurting the other, both are capable of possibly stopping the other if one is hurt. Then again, if it took Leonard as long as it did to stop Hearns even after hurting him in round 7, I find it hard to believe that Tito(despite being a harder puncher) would do so at any early point, as I think Leonard was a better finisher in that he was much faster and quicker to land his follow up combinations.

What it comes down to is, both are great punchers, both can be hurt, Hearns is the FAR better boxer, is the taller fighter with the better reach, and has the better accuracy, fighting a very hittable fighter. Both are capable of hurting the other when they strike, but I find it hard to believe that Tito lands first given all that I just stated, even if he does just bull in, in which case that right hand that landed on Hagler would take Tito out early. Maybe 1/10 Tito wins.

Teeto, your boy may be underrated by some, but better than Hearns?
Good post Pea, and i really do respect your opinion and post, but one thing i do however disagree with you on is the poiint you made about Hearns being more accurate a hitter than Trinidad. When i watch Leonard and Hearns fighting, in both fights, (and i mean when both are having their respective best spells of the bouts) Leonard's good work imo is much more sharper than that of Hearns', i'm not talking the boxing ability of the two, i mean when they are turning it on. Then look at Tito, the man never wasted a shot, so accurate with all that he threw, if this became a war Trinidad may land the better shots in an exchange, this is possible.

There are points to be made for both guys, and i dont mind that you pick Hearns, as you, like Rekcutnevets have done it with proper analysis and insight to back up your opinion. I dont neccessarily think that Trinidad was better than Hearns, but i consider him more prolific in certain respects.

Also, on the point of Hearns being a fast starter and Trinidad being quite the opposite, maybe this would be a factor only if Hearns came out all guns blazing, like against Duran. Now if Hearns watches some footage of his opponent before the fight, he's gunna know that doing so has spelled suiicide for every1 who has tried this before him, this might make Hearns opt to box, in which case he wouldnt start fast in a brawling sense! Maybe im sounding desperate now! Haha

Anyway, good post Pea, and thanks for acknowledging that Tito is underrated here.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's not fair to use how Hearns faired against Leonard as a benchmark for comparison.

Tito would hardly have looked as accurate against Ray, as he did against Blocker, Campas and so on.
Mantequilla is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum