Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #31
Nobudius
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thomas Hearns Vs. Felix Trindad (147)

The Hitman or The Motor City Cobra....

Regardless of which Hearns we are looking at, one has to withstand punishment to reach Tommy, & be WILLING to do so. Although he couldn't land solidly against SRL, he was also ruining his eye into early retirement. He staggered Marvin for a nano second, getting first blood. He made The Blade almost lose his stool before getting caught with a home run punch.

Tommy is a bad matchup for Tito from 147 to 160.
Nobudius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 AM   #32
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I like Hearns early. Trinidad would actually need to land those bombs and i can't see that happening if Hearns is giving him the lateral movment and using his lethal jab to keep Tito off balance. Oscar was able to out box a peak Tito's socks off when he had the staima to do it. Where Trinidad would run into problems with Hearns is that he is a better boxer than Oscar, pound for pound a far harder puncher with a better offensive arsenal, bigger, and more consistant.in his game plan. His right hand would get there and when it did, i can't see Trinidad being able to take. Even to this day, he has not fought a puncher that hits as hard as Hearns. Trinidad also seemed to have a shaky chin when he was welterweight becuase he had a bunch of flash knock downs. Hearns would hurt Trinidad and he wouldn't let him off the hook. Hearns by early stoppage.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #33
Thinman
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sorry for Trinidad fans, but the only way Tito could win is by KO and only if Hearns behave stupid....other than that is Hearns all the way.

BHop did it, Winky did it, Hearns can do it. Hearns had the tools to do it. When he was at 147 he did perform great.

The Hearns that took care of Duran that night would have taken care of Tito. That Hearns was sharp and ready for the kill.
Thinman is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #34
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hearns was a devastating top 5 all-time welterweight in my opinion. Tito was a great welterweight but a notch below the Hitman. He would have no answer for Hearns jab. Late round stoppage for Hearns.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #35
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

At 147lbs, Hearns stops Trinidad around 10. He was the harder puncher, faster hands, better boxer, advantages in height and reach.

I do feel Tito carried his power up in weight better, and had the better chin (he didn't have a great chin, but the only time he was ever badly hurt was against Hopkins), and Tommy became more of a boxer after Leonard stopped him, so above 147lbs I'd have to go with Trinidad by late stoppage, probably behind on points. Two great punchers with not so great chins, there is no way to clearly predict what would happen.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #36
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
People are gunna talk about his chin and Tommy's power, but you look at it properly, and apart from some early fight that i havent seen, Tito was never hurt at welter, only ever flash KDs.
The early fight you must be referring to is the Alberto Cortes fight. It's been said that Tito was dropped twice by Cortes. That is false. It was only once, but Tito was indeed hurt on that KD. Fortunately for Tito, it was at the end of round 2, and he had a full minute to recover. In typical Trinidad-fashion, he came back strong and stopped his opponent in short time after.

I think Tito might've been a little hurt against Lueshing. Not seriously hurt, but I think it did more damage to him than the KDs he suffered against guys like Carr, Campas, and Reid.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #37
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Trinidad's susceptibilty to the straight right hand is the main reason I pick Tommy to win. I've seen Tito hit with too many straight right hands. He was dropped by it against Reid and Carr, hit repeatedly with it against B-Hop, and hell, the predominantly left-handed Oscar used it to very good effect against Trinidad.

Tommy Hearns is the LAST welterweight or junior middleweight you want to fight if you're a sucker for a straight right hand.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum