Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 330
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Completely changed my attitude to fantasy fights lately due to sugar ray leonard and something he said.

A week ago i'd have picked tyson. Today I pick douglas, he battered tyson silly and i've no reason to suspect the same outcome wouldn't be repeated.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

It seems like a bit of an unknown fact that Douglas mother passed away less than a month before the fit. If you ask me that was the undoing of Tyson more than anything. Douglas just too motivated that night and even if the Tyson of 88 86 85, or whenever people say he was at his best, was fighting that night, I'd still struggle not to pick Douglas after seeing what happened in Tokyo 1990
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Tyson beats Douglas.

Douglas more than likely would turn up in the same shape he did against evander confident, knowing hes beaten tyson before etc etc

Tyson turns up in the shape he did for the ruddock fights, knowing hes got a tough fight on his hands.

Tyson hands Douglas his ass
Azzer - say this rematch fight happens, cos King outbids Evander,,,,,,,,,

OG Holyfield offered Bummy Douglas $28mill (like $60mill today!!!).

WHAT IF Dung King offers Douglas $30mill, But says he can have $35mill if he comes in below 235LBS?? Douglas considers starving his ass/drying out in saunas, then decides "**** it" - if i can train hard like Godzilla in Tokyo, i can do teh same spartan-thang in Vegas.

Who would you pick then m8?? Tinkerbell Tyson in teh suspiciously shredded shape (paid Ruddock $50k to avoid steroid-test) he was for Razza Ruddock fights VS Bummy Douglas in legendary Tokyo shape?? Read my post on teh previous page for my opinion.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Completely changed my attitude to fantasy fights lately due to sugar ray leonard and something he said.

A week ago i'd have picked tyson. Today I pick douglas, he battered tyson silly and i've no reason to suspect the same outcome wouldn't be repeated.
What was it he said? And yer Id favour Douglas on that night over any version of Tyson
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Azzer - say this rematch fight happens, cos King outbids Evander,,,,,,,,,

OG Holyfield offered Bummy Douglas $28mill (like $60mill today!!!).

WHAT IF Dung King offers Douglas $30mill, But says he can have $35mill if he comes in below 235LBS?? Douglas considers starving his ass/drying out in saunas, then decides "**** it" - if i can train hard like Godzilla in Tokyo, i can do teh same in Vegas.

Who would you pick then?? Tinkerbell Tyson in teh shredded shape he was for Razza Ruddock VS Bummy Douglas in legendary Tokyo shape?? Read my post on teh previous page for my opinion.
I see what you mean but I still think it was Douglas mothers's passing that was the reason he was motivated so much. I myself lost my mum when I was just 12 and when doing something with that kind of motivation behind you makes a lot of difference
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Tyson after the fight didnt believe Douglas beat him at his best. I dont think Tyson would approach the fight the same way. He would come prepared and confident he could win.

Douglas was never mentally the toughest and I dont think he would have the same inspiration to win the rematch. Look at how he completely fell apart as a fighter leading up to the Holyfield fight. He was content with what he accomplished and would have probably been knocked out just as quickly in a rematch against Tyson as he did against Holyfield who didnt hit nearly as hard. Tyson KO3.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #37
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
I see what you mean but I still think it was Douglas mothers's passing that was the reason he was motivated so much. I myself lost my mum when I was just 12 and when doing something with that kind of motivation behind you makes a lot of difference
Sorry for your loss, i understand it must be a v.powerful motivation, But please imagine Douglas got teh same meteoric-motivation again. Maybe it would be more realistic if Douglas did get KO'd by Holyfield in 1990 like in real life - then was motivated by teh sheer embarrassment/humiliation of quitting from a round 3 knockdown,, so that drives him to train like Godzilla once again, to prove pulverizing Midget Lisp was no fluke, And be a American-hero once more!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #38
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: England
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Sorry for your loss, i understand it must be a v.powerful motivation, But please imagine Douglas got teh same meteoric-motivation again. Maybe it would be more realistic if Douglas did get KO'd by Holyfield in 1990 like in real life - then was motivated by teh sheer embarrassment/humiliation of quitting from a round 3 knockdown,, so that drives him to train like Godzilla once again, to prove pulverizing Midget Lisp was no fluke, And be a American-hero once more!
Cheers bro . I strongly believe Tokyo Douglas would beat any version of Tyson. People don't think about styles enough in fantasy fights and base it too much on power speed and punch resistance. If Doiglas was motivated as he was in Tokyo he'd beat Tyson again in the rematch fo suree
Webbiano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #39
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 3600
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman Hook View Post
Azzer - say this rematch fight happens, cos King outbids Evander,,,,,,,,,

OG Holyfield offered Bummy Douglas $28mill (like $60mill today!!!).

WHAT IF Dung King offers Douglas $30mill, But says he can have $35mill if he comes in below 235LBS?? Douglas considers starving his ass/drying out in saunas, then decides "**** it" - if i can train hard like Godzilla in Tokyo, i can do teh same spartan-thang in Vegas.

Who would you pick then m8?? Tinkerbell Tyson in teh suspiciously shredded shape (paid Ruddock $50k to avoid steroid-test) he was for Razza Ruddock fights VS Bummy Douglas in legendary Tokyo shape?? Read my post on teh previous page for my opinion.
very nice piece of info
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Completely changed my attitude to fantasy fights lately due to sugar ray leonard and something he said.

A week ago i'd have picked tyson. Today I pick douglas, he battered tyson silly and i've no reason to suspect the same outcome wouldn't be repeated.
The Douglas of fight 1 may well win, but we're talking about the fat unprepared version who faced Holyfield. Tyson would be better, Douglas would be significantly worse
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #41
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 330
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
What was it he said? And yer Id favour Douglas on that night over any version of Tyson
It was about how he weren't the most skilled in his era, he won a lot of fights on heart, will and discipline.

He said benitez was more skilled but he had more heart. He said he knew duran and hagler weren't training like a champion and he had more discipline. He said once dundee told him he was blowing it something clicked and he went out and found the opening he required.

There's a lot of intangibles in boxing that are hard to predict.

When picking fights between fighters, providing they met in each other's prime, i'm just gonna go with reality.

The fight between douglas and tyson wasn't even close. I pick douglas to beat him any time during douglas's own prime.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #42
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
It was about how he weren't the most skilled in his era, he won a lot of fights on heart, will and discipline.

He said benitez was more skilled but he had more heart. He said he knew duran and hagler weren't training like a champion and he had more discipline. He said once dundee told him he was blowing it something clicked and he went out and found the opening he required.

There's a lot of intangibles in boxing that are hard to predict.

When picking fights between fighters, providing they met in each other's prime, i'm just gonna go with reality.

The fight between douglas and tyson wasn't even close. I pick douglas to beat him any time during douglas's own prime.
When was Bummy Douglas's "own prime" - 11th Feb 1990 to 11th Feb 1990 for 10 Rounds???

Basically less than 1hour!!





Foreman Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook!
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Thugz Mansion
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 600
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Cheers bro . I strongly believe Tokyo Douglas would beat any version of Tyson. People don't think about styles enough in fantasy fights and base it too much on power speed and punch resistance. If Doiglas was motivated as he was in Tokyo he'd beat Tyson again in the rematch fo suree
Styles make fights.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #44
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71 View Post
Has Tyson ever defeated in a rematch anyone he ever lost to
previously?

If Douglas shows up in maximim shape, and with an "unbeatable" attitude, then the old axiom "Once you knock someone out, you knock them out faster the second time around" will probably prevail.

Douglas by TKO in 8 over a fragile psych Tyson.
I agree with this scenario. However,if Douglas shows up like he did in the Holyfield fight,Tyson regains the title.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #45
A.J.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Default Re: Fantasy: Mike Tyson Vs. Douglas II [1990-10-25]

Big Douglas fan here. But, based on his very spotted career before and after Tyson, not picking Tyson in a rematch seems almost foolish.

Yes, I'd have picked Douglas back in 1990 right after their fight, to do it again . . . but not now, after seeing how both of them turned out after their 1990 bout. Buster cannot be taken seriously. That he beat Iron Mike is likely attributable to the conflagration of elements in his personal life at the time, where he must have thought that Mike Tyson wasn't going to bother him more than the terrible things that had just occurred (losing his mother, his girlfriend being diagnosed with a deadly disease). And, maybe Tyson showed up a bit ****y. He was undefeated and Buster was a several-times-defeated journeyman.

Somehow, a Buster who never came close to this level again, will do it again? I'd HOPE so, but I'd bet heavily against it.
A.J. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013