Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
shommel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jake LaMotta vs. Roberto Duran

i am a huge lamotta fan but i wouldnt say lamotta by a comfortable margin it would be a real fight.
shommel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #32
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
I don't feel like rereading the thread, but I remember that it was I who made the comparison between Jake and Iran -but it was not in terms of anything except for an asset or 2 that they share -physical strength/presence and applied pressure. It was a retort to a few posts that asserted that "Duran couldn't handle the strength and the pressure that Jake would bring."

I brought out Iran because he formed his whole plan around pressure and body punching and aggression against a 37 year old Duran and it wasn't enough. It's something tangible to think about.

Lamotta is leagues above Barkley!
Cheers SH

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #33
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzard
In many ways I agree but Duran fed off offensive fighters. La Motta was a great. He has strength but I've neevr seen anyone really use it effectively against Duran and he fought a lot of men naturally bigger than stronger than him.

Both men have undervalued defences... Duran will want Jake to lead and Jake will oblige, that's the only way he ever fought. I also think Jake handled the big occassion better than Hagler and will not stand off.

Again though, Hagler's performance against Duran was Roberto's plan. He got Hagler to lead and marvin was unsure of himself once this happened. Leonard got him to do the exact same thing.

Anyway, at first glance I thought la Motta wins, mismatch, but Duran has a lot of skill and style advantages here
No worries Ez, it'd sure be an intriguing fight.

Cheers
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #34
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

some good reads. when it comes down too it, duran with his advanced age and lower workrate, i dont think he could handle the youthness workrate of jake lamotta, and duran at 160 does not have the punch to hurt lamotta. I like lamotta by close but clear decision.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #35
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
some good reads. when it comes down too it, duran with his advanced age and lower workrate, i dont think he could handle the youthness workrate of jake lamotta, and duran at 160 does not have the punch to hurt lamotta. I like lamotta by close but clear decision.
This answer's my Q..
So it is a Prime Jake Vs. an Older Duran.
In that case, I'd prob favor LaMotta in 12.

Even tho, I do belive Duran has the Skill level to outbox circles on LaMotta. This version of Roberto can't do that, and his punching power at MW prob would not effect the Iron jawed "Ragging Bull"
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lamotta said in his book that his best fighting weight was around 170. So, you're talking about a natural Super Middleweight vs. a natural Lightweight. Having said that, the last thing you'd want to fight Duran is swarm him. Lamotta would eat a lot of right hands on the way in but he'd be too strong and busy for Duran and win a decision.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #37
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

If a prime Duran of the mid-late 70's moved up to 160, I could see him having the speed and skill to outbox LaMotta, but Jake's immeasurably superior strength and his own skill would most likely prove to much for Duran to overcome. It's a tough call, but I'll go with LaMotta by UD. Just way to much of an advantage in size and strength. It really is a marvel that nearly everyone on this thread is giving a lightweight a serious shot at possibly defeating a top 10 middleweight of all-time, but that's just how good Duran was.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #38
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jake would win a strong UD in a good fight.Roberto not on Jake's level in this one.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #39
smitty78
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
Do you remember the scene in "Raging Bull" where Jake's wife Vicki remarked in passing that she thought Tony Janiro was 'good looking'? After hearing that, LaMotta raged after Janiro in their fight, and wanted to make him ugly...by literally trying to beat his face in.

" Jake is some kind of animal."
- Ray Robinson

During the Roberto Duran/Davey Moore fight at MSG in New York, Jake and Vicki provided color commentary for the fight. Vicki marveled at the atmosphere of the arena, Duran's skill, and his age (32) at that time...Jake commented,"I was done at 32"...

What would the dynamic have been for a LaMotta/Duran fight? Can you imagine it? In the lead up to his fight with Leonard in Montreal, Duran went into a tirade spewing obsenities towards Leonard and his wife, calling her a 'whore' among other things and insinuating that Ray wasn't a real man...Duran wanted to get inside Leonard's head...He wanted to make him berserk with rage...and he did. He made Leonard... 'blink'.

What would happen if Duran tried to make a jealous psychopath 'blink'?

The **** is this shit?????
Are you retarded????
Lamotta would push Duran round like a rag doll. Massive mismatch Jake would stop him in 7 or 8 rounds. Be like a man against a child.
smitty78 is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #40
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jake wins this one...
RockyJim is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum