Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Mando Ramos

Rip. chated with him a few times on Cyber boxing. Great champ.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Mando Ramos

........................Ah shit.........really? Damn; he was one of my favorites. He wasn't all that old either.

Thanks for the memories, Mando.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

A very sad day for boxing fans in Los Angeles and around the world, Mando Ramos has passed away. Don't know all the details yet, Rodolfo Gonzalez just called to give me the news, he had just been informed by Carlos Palomino, who had been notified by Mando's wife Sylvia. I was told Mando awoke this morning with breathing problems, the paramedics were called and they could not revive him.

posted by kikibalt from cyber boxing.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..............From what John Garfield has told us here, I guessed his health wasn't all that good.

For all here that haven't seen Mando in action, you've missed out. One exciting battler, and a true staple of the southern California boxing scene in those heady years of the late 60's-early 70's. He was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
..............From what John Garfield has told us here, I guessed his health wasn't all that good.

For all here that haven't seen Mando in action, you've missed out. One exciting battler, and a true staple of the southern California boxing scene in those heady years of the late 60's-early 70's. He was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.
This is sad news.

Go to boxrec.com and look at the quality of fighers he fought over a 4 year period.

He was in the mix for the Lightweight title during the 68-72 period.

I think I only saw him once live on TV,,,,,,but always read about his fights in Ring/ Box Illus. / World Boxing a month later.

Teo Cruz, Laguna, Sugar Ramos, Rojas, Navarro, Carassco (3 times), & Carmano (sp?).

Fighting in LA at the Olumpic, the Sports Auditorium, the Colesium. etc.

Those guys were FIGHTERS.

RIP Mando....my hat is off to you.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Mando has a underrated resume, what Loughhorn mention above, is relly a who's who of that era. He fought the best out there of couse. Also held the record for youngest champ ever. I belive.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Quickhands21
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah i saw that on boxrec..RIP..ill have to try an check his stuff out..not to familliar
Quickhands21 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Boxer Mando Ramos dies at 59
1 hour, 8 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintLOS ANGELES (AP)—Mando Ramos, a two-time lightweight boxing champion beset by drug and alcohol abuse, has died. He was 59.

Ramos died Sunday at his home in San Pedro, according to his wife, Sylvia. She said her husband, a diabetic, went into respiratory arrest and paramedics were unable to revive him.

Ramos turned pro in 1965, three days after his 17th birthday. He retired a decade later with a record of 37-11-1 with 23 knockouts.

“I never really trained, not for a single fight,” he once told the Los Angeles Times. “Oh, I went to the gym every day. But I drank every night. Fighters never beat me. But drugs and alcohol (did).”

Ramos stopped Carlos Teo Cruz in the 11th round in 1969 to win the lightweight title, then lost it in 1970 to Ismael Laguna. He regained the title in 1972 with a split decision over Pedro Carrasco, then lost it later in the year when Chango Carmona stopped him in the eighth round.

“By 1974, I was sleeping in cars,” Ramos told the Times.

He checked into a rehab clinic in the early 1980s and remained sober the rest of his life. When he got out of rehab, he started Boxing Against Alcohol and Drugs, a program aimed at youngsters.

Ramos, born in Long Beach, was inducted into the California Boxing Hall of Fame on June 21.

“He was the complete fighter,” said former champion Carlos Palomino, Ramos’ presenter. “He could box, he could brawl, he could do it all.”

In addition to his wife, Ramos’ survivors include a son, brother and four grandchildren.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum