Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Sushix
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Bareknuckle vs Gloves

Just wondering is there a big difference between getting punched bareknuckled and boxing gloves? I'm sure you'd get cuts easier bareknuckled, but what about punching power? Would the impact of pure fists be the same as wearing gloves?
Sushix is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
A Rock
SAMUEL ETO'O!!!!!
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Bareknuckle vs Gloves

there would be less straight ahead force but it would hurt a lot more to get punched by bare knuckles. and if ur the one doing the punching, chances are, youll break at least one bone in ur hand
A Rock is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Are you serious? Bare knuckle is hard bone, of course you can knock someone out a lot easier. Why do you think one punch KO's happen all the time in the UFC, but very rarely in boxing?

If you wrapped a baseball bat in a layer of padding and hit someone, what do you think would hurt more... Plain bat, or with the padding??
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

well the punch would hurt more and more likely to cause a ko or the fight to end in some way, whatever a ko or a ko.

i am not sure if the straight ahead force would less or more but the punch would more precise.

as far as injuring the hands, well some guys get injured often and some almost never. aim below the eyebrows and you should be fine.

if your a boxer, aim more carefully then with gloves on, and you should have a quicker and easier fight then one with gloves on.

having boxing for a long while,i also grew in a rough area and did worked in night clubs alot...i have some seen and been in some fights.

also i find that when i hit the heavy bag bare knucle,
my hands don't hurt as much when i get into a fight.

so i do think, you can toughen your hands to a certain point.
dabox is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
batang kanto
ESB ELITE SQUAD
ESB Senior Member

plus wearing gloves makes for slower punches. bareknuckles are fast due to less drag and weight
batang kanto is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
fidds
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Have you never punched anyone or been hit with bare knuckles ??????

When you hit some one with bare knuckles you tend to break things, and also cut them to peices i mean im a 240 ilb rugby player and the diff with gloves and bare knuckles is huge.

Plus your hand swells up, as its not wrapped up and padded and you tennd to break your knuckles

Not that i condone violence
fidds is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1412

Fighting under London prize meant no hooking; Jem Mace (probably the finest London Prize fighter of all-time) had a lot of the tools today, using the jab to cut the eyes of his opponent, but he never developed the hook, even when he started using gloves.

Of course as well wrestling was allowed in London Prize.

To lessen injuries to the hands London prize fighters would dunk their hands in many a ****tail to harden them.

Last edited by TBooze; 07-08-2008 at 04:26 AM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's true, though, that the glove is designed primarily to protect the fighter's hand, not his fist. There's a pretty decent article in Ring this month on this subject.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Viking Worrier
very worried viking

I have done quite a bit of ordinary boxing training,and attended some bareknuckle seminars.

Body shots with bare knuckles are _much_ more effective, as the force is much more consentrated.

We did bareknuckle sparring with barred boxing helmets so I cannot really compare the difference in head shots, though it is obvious cuts, broken noses and smashed teeth would happen much more.

Of the old prizefighters, I have read that they would mostly throw jabs to the face in order to close eyes and so on, full force hooks that hit the cranium is a guaranteed broken hand.
Viking Worrier is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Shifty107
The MARVELOUS ONE!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Fighting under London prize meant no hooking; Jem Mace (probably the finest London Prize fighter of all-time) had a lot of the tools today, using the jab to cut the eyes of his opponent, but he never devolped the hook, even when he started using gloves.

Of course as well wrestling was allowed in London Prize.

To lessen injuries to the hands London prize fighters would dunk their hands in many a ****tail to harden them.
The ****tail was normally brine and horse ****.
Shifty107 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
Shifty107
The MARVELOUS ONE!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Worrier
I have done quite a bit of ordinary boxing training,and attended some bareknuckle seminars.

Body shots with bare knuckles are _much_ more effective, as the force is much more consentrated.

We did bareknuckle sparring with barred boxing helmets so I cannot really compare the difference in head shots, though it is obvious cuts, broken noses and smashed teeth would happen much more.

Of the old prizefighters, I have read that they would mostly throw jabs to the face in order to close eyes and so on, full force hooks that hit the cranium is a guaranteed broken hand.
Hey Viking, is that you in the pic m8? Looks fookin freezin where u r. Where is that? Anyone ever tell you you look a bit like ben stiller?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Viking Worrier
very worried viking

Yup, vain enough to use myself as an avatar, and too lazy to change when I realised very few guys do that round here...

The pic was taken snowboarding close to Tromsų (find it on a map!), its close to the sea though, so temperatures do not really get that low.
Viking Worrier is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
Shifty107
The MARVELOUS ONE!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Worrier
Yup, vain enough to use myself as an avatar, and too lazy to change when I realised very few guys do that round here...

The pic was taken snowboarding close to Tromsų (find it on a map!), its close to the sea though, so temperatures do not really get that low.
Nice. Nothin vain about it m8. Love snowboardin bro. Tried skiing a few times and hated it. Too many things to deal with with the poles and both ski's coming off everytime u fall.

Anyway back to the post at hand, bareknuckles leads to more brocken bones (mainly metacarpal and proximal) in the hand. And as viking said before, in the days of bareknuckle fights, the body punch was the preffered method of attack because I don't care how tough u r, it is very difficult to push through the pain of a brocken hand to keep fighting.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #14
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

what some people forget that ofcourse bare knuckles hit harder that is why most street are usually an exchange of a few punches...and some one is knocked or messed up preety bad...

and if one of them is a boxer he usually ko's the guy with 1-3 punches...

and like i said hit below the eyebrows and your fine...remember bare fists are much more precise then gloves... and it's easy to land clean...

and many people will say hooks are preety safe because the inpact is usually spread through the hand....

and i disagree about bodyblows...remember there are elbows there and its worse to hit them i think then any place in the head....

i am talking from experience with both gloves and no gloves...and i have used the left hook many times in fights...it;s an awesome weapon
dabox is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 AM   #15
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

it would hurt much much more to get hit by a bare knuckle
PH|LLA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum