Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Tiger Ted Lowry gives Moore the nod as the hardest puncher he met

Just ran through an old Ring magazine, inside was an article on Ted Lowry . Lowry who holds the distinction of being the only man to twice go the distance with Marciano ,stated that Archie Moore was the hardest hitter he faced,and that ,in his opinion a prime Moore would have beaten Marciano.The 5 foot 9 in Lowry who never scaled over 185 lbs was very respectful of Marciano,none the less he named Moore as his toughest opponent as well as the hardest hitting.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Tiger Ted Lowry gives Moore the nod as the hardest puncher he met

Right you are sir. I read that article too. Take note lowry faced many 200lb + heavyweight punchers and he named 180lb moore the hardest of them all.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Very interesting.

In my opinion, Moore was in prime or just very slightly past when he fought Rocky. But if he was a few years younger....I think it's reasonable to say his chances would have been better. Stamina is such an issue when you are in with Rocky.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
In my opinion, Moore was in prime or just very slightly past when he fought Rocky
I agree. Moore was at the near end of his prime but still in it nonethless in 1955. he looked spectacular vs bobo olsen that same year/
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
I agree. Moore was at the near end of his prime but still in it nonethless in 1955. he looked spectacular vs bobo olsen that same year/
We have discussed this before Suzie,I dont think any man in in his athletic prime at Moore's age when he fought Marciano ,I just think it illustrates how good he must have been when he was in his prime.I posted the thread ,not to knock Marciano in any way ,but because it allways interests me ,getting the opinion first hand from fighters ,and how strange that they often pick out a fighter you would not expect.If Lowry had said Marciano no one would have remarked on it at all.Moore did look good against Olson ,but he was a middle challenging a Light heavy.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
We have discussed this before Suzie,I dont think any man in in his athletic prime at Moore's age when he fought Marciano ,I just think it illustrates how good he must have been when he was in his prime

I have film of archie moore dating all the way back to 1946. i have clear clean film of him in 1947 vs jimmy bivins, and film of him in 1951, 1952, 1953 1954 and 1955.

Its my opinion archie moores prime was 1947-1955, he looked the same physically to me during these years, maybe just a small tad faster in 1947. but in essense the same fighter physically.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
standing 8countboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I went to school with "Tiger" Ted Lowry's Granddaughter!! There are still people around today that think Lowry should have gotten the nod against a young Marciano in the first fight, the second fight was also close.
standing 8countboxing is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Moore was a late peaker and some say he was not as old as many say, he started boxing young so made him self older instead of younger but either way he was on his best run leading up to the Marciano fight,off the top of my head, I think he lost 1 disputed decision over Johnson that he avenged with a TKO and a DQ loss other than that he was on a large win streak 55 fights..wins over # 1 Heavyweight Contender Bob Baker KO8, and 2 wins over# 1Contender Nino Valdez. 3wins over Harold Johnson ,(last one TKO14) some of the names he beat during this streak..Qakland Billy SmithKO8,Bobo Olson KO,Joey Maxim,Jimmy Bivins(2 timesby KO) Jimy Slade,Tough Clarence Henry 32-3-1,Burt Whitehurt, Phil MuscatoKO6, Albert Lovell KO1 and the 6"4 220 lb Abel Castac who drew with Billy Gilliam who beat Nino Valdez, he also Ko'd Bob Satterfeild in 3....Exclude the DQ and disputed loss to Johnson and Moore was 50-0-2 leading into the Marciano fight...the fight was a brutal beating but Moore was one of the few fighters to come back without being ruined by Marciano and went on to fight to another 38-3-2 Koing a few Decent Heavyweights in the Mix. Archie not only was a Big pinpoint puncher but he could box well. I think that if Marciano was not in the way Archie would have been Heavyweight Champ sometime between 1953 and 1955 but his record with the streak and loss to Marciano was 50-2-2 and 38-3-2 = 88-5-4 and 1 decision was disputed and one a DQ....NEVER SEE another Archie Moore
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

By the way some fighter call fighters they beat the hardest punchers they beat, to Call Archie the hardest puncher is believable but another fighter may have a different oppinion like Ezzard Charles who said Marciano hit harder
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
the second fight was also close

thats just not true
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
thats just not true
Lowry said the first fight could have gone either way but admitted Rocky won the second.Lowry did say he took both fights at short notice and wasnt properly prepared.Lowry said he weighed 174 for Rocky.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Archie Moore's punching power is legendary.
He was a great picker of the kO shot too, great timing, great at drawing his man in, and taking advantage of openings, a real "lights out" finisher.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Moore was a late peaker and some say he was not as old as many say, he started boxing young so made him self older instead of younger but either way he was on his best run leading up to the Marciano fight,off the top of my head, I think he lost 1 disputed decision over Johnson that he avenged with a TKO and a DQ loss other than that he was on a large win streak 55 fights..wins over # 1 Heavyweight Contender Bob Baker KO8, and 2 wins over# 1Contender Nino Valdez. 3wins over Harold Johnson ,(last one TKO14) some of the names he beat during this streak..Qakland Billy SmithKO8,Bobo Olson KO,Joey Maxim,Jimmy Bivins(2 timesby KO) Jimy Slade,Tough Clarence Henry 32-3-1,Burt Whitehurt, Phil MuscatoKO6, Albert Lovell KO1 and the 6"4 220 lb Abel Castac who drew with Billy Gilliam who beat Nino Valdez, he also Ko'd Bob Satterfeild in 3....Exclude the DQ and disputed loss to Johnson and Moore was 50-0-2 leading into the Marciano fight...the fight was a brutal beating but Moore was one of the few fighters to come back without being ruined by Marciano and went on to fight to another 38-3-2 Koing a few Decent Heavyweights in the Mix. Archie not only was a Big pinpoint puncher but he could box well. I think that if Marciano was not in the way Archie would have been Heavyweight Champ sometime between 1953 and 1955 but his record with the streak and loss to Marciano was 50-2-2 and 38-3-2 = 88-5-4 and 1 decision was disputed and one a DQ....NEVER SEE another Archie Moore
Quite staggering statistics when you think about it. Archie truly was one of a kind. And yet, didn't Charlie Burley give him a sound thrashing when they met? God, how good was Burley?

As for Lowry...well, I respect his opinion. After all, he did fight both Moore and Marciano.
Strange cat is Lowry though...he didn't make much of an impact in the division yet gave Marciano two stiff fights, and many, many observers felt he should have won the first fight.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
thats just not true
Why do you say that? Most people are of the opinion that Marciano also made heavy weather of beating Lowry the second time around.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #15
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Why do you say that? Most people are of the opinion that Marciano also made heavy weather of beating Lowry the second time around.
Who are "most people"? I have never read any report that maintains the second fight was anything but a one-sided decision for Marciano. Lowry according to some reports barely survived the last round. Not even Lowry disputes this fight was won easily by Marciano.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum