Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215
Default Jack Dempsey vs. Jack Johnson

20 rounds. Early 1900's ruleset. Two great and vicious fighters.
What do you say?
Fat Luke Carney stated that Johnson would block Moran's blows with his forearms, gently push him on the shoulders, and then he slashed Frank Moran's face horribly with wrist action out then down punches...In the clinches, he would squeeze Moran's biceps hard...until Moran's arms ached. Moran was covered with welts all over his body and face. "I never saw anyone's face slashed up like Frank's" Carney said. "I've never seen anybody like Johnson."
Jack Dempsey once admitted to Frizie Zivic, that his best punch was a double left hook. One to the groin, then the other to the chin...Who takes this rough contest and why?
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Dempsey vs. Jack Johnson

dempsey would i believe overwelm the slower paced johnson and ko him,he was to aggresive to be calmly held in a clench
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The outcome to this fight would be known in a couple of rounds.

Can Johnson lock up Dempsey? If so he can frustrate him. Johnson can then allow Dempsey to blow himself out trying to get at him, and then take Dempsey down later on.

BUT Dempsey needed such a short space to get in his shots that maybe Johnson can't tie him up. Johnson's slow pace might be quickly overwhelmed by Dempsey's attack.

I think Dempsey's output would see him ahead at 10. Over 15 i think Johnson will have it...
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Johnson is all wrong for Dempsey in my view.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM   #5
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5500

I like Jack Johnson by K.O.
This is a Dreamfight...
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
20 rounds. Early 1900's ruleset. Two great and vicious fighters.
What do you say?
Fat Luke Carney stated that Johnson would block Moran's blows with his forearms, gently push him on the shoulders, and then he slashed Frank Moran's face horribly with wrist action out then down punches...In the clinches, he would squeeze Moran's biceps hard...until Moran's arms ached. Moran was covered with welts all over his body and face. "I never saw anyone's face slashed up like Frank's" Carney said. "I've never seen anybody like Johnson."
Jack Dempsey once admitted to Frizie Zivic, that his best punch was a double left hook. One to the groin, then the other to the chin...Who takes this rough contest and why?
Johnson would smother Dempsey ,tie him up inside and ride out the storm to take a dec.Johnson said Dempsey was "great for 4 rounds after that he is an ordinary fighter",that might be an oversimplification ,but I think he had the style to negate Dempsey's rushes.

Last edited by mcvey; 04-16-2011 at 08:04 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

as stated above dempsey only needed 6 inch to land a devastating uppercut,hook,or a # of many more blows including his devastating groin shot,but in his mid 20,s he would not be as staitionary as he was against tunney ,and johnson wasnt as quick,or as likely to run near as often as tunney.opinions well vary but i believe a younger-maybe24-28 yearold dempsey would be to much for johnson ducking,bobbing,slipping faster than ever attacking unrelentlessly and unless johnson held him constantly threw the biggest part of the match wich even an oldtime ref wouldnt allow,and a younger j.d could go many rounds such as gibbons and could outbox the most tech. boxer such as gibbons dempsey by 4 he would be to much uncontrolled aggression i.m.o.
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Great match. Both had major inconsistencies so it's very difficult to pick.

Ughh... hurts my head even to make a decision on this one.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
papke26
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I believe that at his peak dempsey was the best heavyweight to ever of endadged in the nobel art. Johnson was a defensive genius and possesssed a right upercut that was perhaps the best ever for its aplication in close. However the atribute that would set the mannasa maular apart from johnson would be speed and power. There is a falsehood that johnson had legandry abiltys he was good but not great some jewish guy who corbett beat knocked him out marvin hart beat him and he wouldnt give any blacks a chance against him because ha knew at the time there was one or two who had a chance like langford. The controversy surronding his very public and deplorable public life has made the boxing public think that his skills matched his infamy
papke26 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
marciano1952
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I would Take Dempsey to stop him in the first 6 rounds
marciano1952 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Johnson: wide UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I think a lot of Johnson as a strong counter puncher and defensive wizard, However Dempsey was the best of the Modern era or the 1st Modern HVYWT.....Johnson would try to lure Dempsey into the early RDS and Dempsey would try to damage J.J. Early...who would impose there will, A prime Dempsey was a lot faster and crisp a puncher than Jeffies and Johnson was as good if not better than Tunney...would it be a hug fest, not if Dempsey had a say....I like Dempsey here, providing he could get inside Jacks arms with speed and power, Ketchel did ...Dempsey had that speed but Johnson could lull you into charging and pick you away and that could happen also
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
marciano1952
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The way i see it is that if Johnson waits for Dempsey just take a look at the Willard Fight

remember Johnson was KOed in three by Choynski
marciano1952 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Johnson would smother Dempsey ,tie him up inside and ride out the storm to take a dec.Johnson said Dempsey was "great for 4 rounds after that he is an ordinanry fighter",that might be an oversimplification ,but I think he had the style to negate Dempsey's rushes.
I suggest you watch Dempsey in the clinches and wrestling. He was not a joker. He was a mean sob who threw hard kidney shots. If Johnson tried to make a 3 minute round into 1 minute of boxing by clinching, he would pay.

Johnson would not be able to tie up Dempsey. Dempsey was mover stalker with fast hands and TNT in both mitts. He would not be stationary for Johnson to jab, clinch, then uppercut.

Dempsey wins here, I think via mid round KO.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I suggest you watch Dempsey in the clinches and wrestling. He was not a joker. He was a mean sob who threw hard kidney shots. If Johnson tried to make a 3 minute round into 1 minute of boxing by clinching, he would pay.

Johnson would not be able to tie up Dempsey. Dempsey was mover stalker with fast hands and TNT in both mitts. He would not be stationary for Johnson to jab, clinch, then uppercut.

Dempsey wins here, I think via mid round KO.
Yet he couldnt ko Gibbons ?Is there any part of my post that said Dempsey would be stationary? Don't suggest shit to me Mendoza ,I was watching Dempsey on super8mm 45 years ago. I have every bit of footage of Dempsey that is available.For the record ,I rate him the number 3 heavyweight of all time ,above Joe Louis.I dont require any lessons from you on William Harrison Dempsey.You should change your name from Mendoza to Battery ,you are so full of acid towards Johnson .A mean sob? Carpentier broke a clinch between Johnson and Moran,,Moran dropped his hands Johnson threw a right uppercut and broke his nose,thats mean.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum