Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Roland Lastarza another side to his story?

I been kind of reviewing my opinion of lastarza lately. you see im making a top 10 heavyweight list of marciano era, but im not so sure lastarza makes it anymore. he would probably make it h2h, but accomplishments wise is quite lacking in my opinion to the standards of other contenders of his era." I had a long talk with Chuck Hasson a while back about lastarza, heres what he had to say

"His reputation was built on the first Rocky fight. Although he had a long winning streak at the beginning of his career, there are no tough names on his record. After the first Marciano fight he could have forced the issue by meeting top fighters. He refused fights with Charles, Clarence Henry, Bob Baker etc. Lost and avenged to overstuffed lt.heavy Dan Bucceroni and to lt. heavy Rocky Jones and looked terrible against Jones in the rematch. The Jones win and a victory over the faded Rex Layne gave him the credentials to meet Rocky for the title. A fight I am told Rocky was more intent on giving Roland a beating for all of the talk that he "was afraid" to meet LaStarza again than KOing him early which I believe he could have done easily. Look at LaStarza's record there are no tough names on it except for Marciano.I have the complete film of the Jones rematch and believe me LaStarza looked terrible. Jones was approached at the morning weigh-in by Jimmy White (Amato) a shadowy figure who was a mob contact man and manager and told Rocky "we don't wan't any of that stuff that happened in Akron."Jones had two good rounds then was told to "cool it." LaStarza NEVER fought a danerous opponent except Marciano and thats a fact if you know any of the fighters from his era. I am not saying that LaStarza was a coward but he (or, excuse me, his management) refused matches with Henry, Charles, Baker, and Archie Moore. In an article in RING magazine after his career LaStarza admitted as much, saying he wouldn't take those matches because he "deserved" a rematch with Marciano and thought he was offered the other matches by the IBC only because they were trying to knock him out of "his rightful shot at Marciano." Boo Hoo Hoo. Real, confident fighters go out and prove they deserve their shot by beating dangerous fighters to force a showdown with a champion. Again, let me reinterate-when Marciano fought LaStarza the first time Rocky was boxing for the first time after the Vingo tragedy. Rocky had threatened to quit boxing. Is it any wonder he was not the usual agressive Marciano but an understandably gunshy, tenitive boxer that night ?"- Chuck Hasson Boxing Historian and Philly Boxing Founder

I think this is a very interesting read. viewing things on the other side
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Roland Lastarza another side to his story?

Cool read. Thanks for sharing.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

I agree ,conspicous by their absence,are dangerous guys like Henry,Baker,Satterfield,Gomez,Gilliam,Wallace,I have a 50's Ring magazine that mentions how Roland's manager was keeping him away from ,anyone ,who might sink his reurn bout with Marciano ,but thats what a managers for. Such strategy , puts dough in your pocket ,but certainly damages your legacy.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Nice read. I still think LaStarza looked very good against Marciano. That's the only film of him i've seen, though.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yes agreed chris, I never questioned his talent, only his confidence in his own ability.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Well to be fair, it may not be a confidence problem, but rather it seems he thought he earnt a shot at the champ already and didn't want to risk his meal ticket.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well to be fair, it may not be a confidence problem, but rather it seems he thought he earnt a shot at the champ already and didn't want to risk his meal ticket.

That certainly may be. tell you the truth I don't blame him. I mean If I had a promised title rematch title shot, I wouldnt want to tangle with big killers like louis baker or valdez, or sharpshooters like henry charles and moore and risk losing any chance of that top pay day to a fight a Man i thought i beat the first time around. its a shame for us fans we didnt get to see lastarza take on one of those guys
Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

btw for any big marciano fans out there, i am in the process of ordering film of keene simmons so i will get to see what his style was like. he was a very durable sparring partner who gave marciano difficult time in their fight. Im interested to see his height.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
That certainly may be. tell you the truth I don't blame him. I mean If I had a promised title rematch title shot, I wouldnt want to tangle with big killers like louis baker or valdez, or sharpshooters like henry charles and moore and risk losing any chance of that top pay day to a fight a Man i thought i beat the first time around. its a shame for us fans we didnt get to see lastarza take on one of those guys
Yep, same thing with Povetkin now. He earnt a shot at Klitschko after beating Chambers in an eliminator. Fighting for instance Valuev now would be brave but also an unnecessary risk. That said, if i were him i'd forget about Klitschko now and fight a few other (fringe) contenders just to gain experience. Two or three years from now, Povetkin will be better and Wlad may lose a step.. if he's not beaten already then, of course. But that's not his problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
btw for any big marciano fans out there, i am in the process of ordering film of keene simmons so i will get to see what his style was like. he was a very durable sparring partner who gave marciano difficult time in their fight. Im interested to see his height.
What film of Simmons exists?
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yep, same thing with Povetkin now. He earnt a shot at Klitschko after beating Chambers in an eliminator. Fighting for instance Valuev now would be brave but also an unnecessary risk. That said, if i were him i'd forget about Klitschko now and fight a few other (fringe) contenders just to gain experience. Two or three years from now, Povetkin will be better and Wlad may lose a step.. if he's not beaten already then, of course. But that's not his problem.
Solid Points. I think potvekin is going to be very good, and has a good chance vs wlad but needs more seasoning. Off topic, I think much more highly of nino valuev. he has built up a decent resume, and was very active as champion. if u watch his last fight vs a good boxer in sergei, you would see his boxing skill/fundamentals and jab have improved TREMENDOUSLY since 2005. I think valuev is a threat to wlad, and if valuev beats chagaev this time around I think wlad should take on valuev in a unification. valuev would be a legacy booster win for wlad.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
What film of Simmons exists?

Ha, I knew the old fogster would be the first to reply. His fight with charley norkus, a collector has it. Also clarence henry vs bob satterfield, and many other rare 1950s heavyweight fights he has.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
SAY WHAT!!! If this a Simmons in the gym, or Marciano vs Simmons for real?

Marciano vs Simmons from what I read was a tough match. Marciano was badly cut, and according to the book Italian Stallions, the match might have been stopped if Rocky was not the local undefeated fighter.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Simmons gave Marciano a good scrap Simmons could hit and was durable,Rocky was badly cut over the left eye inhte 2nd rd,and the figth was indanger of being stopped ,the doctor examined Marciano 's eye between the 7th and 8th rd. At the start of the 8th Marciano came out winging ,he missed a lot but kept throwing at the end of the round Simmons was taking huge punishment ,but still on his feet ,just as the round was ending Marciano caught him with his SQ,Simmons sagged ,and the Ref stepped in and stopped it.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
SAY WHAT!!! If this a Simmons in the gym, or Marciano vs Simmons for real?

Marciano vs Simmons from what I read was a tough match. Marciano was badly cut, and according to the book Italian Stallions, the match might have been stopped if Rocky was not the local undefeated fighter.

Marciano weighed in at 194lb for the simmons fight, a career high, yet his workrate never stopped. he knocked out the durable simmons in the 8th round after a roundhouse right landed that put simmons out on his feet. big cat williams and nino valdez could not accomplish this feat.

The fight I am ordering is keene simmons vs Charlie Norkus

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum