Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #16
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Stick a chin on Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwoody
Having seen The Ring's list of The Greatest 80 Fighters of the Last 80 Years, I felt that Thomas "Hitman" Hearns was criminally low at 67 on the list. Considering he knocked out Duran(5), outboxed Leonard(9) twice and went to war with Hagler(17) I feel he should be a lot higher(although I admit I am a fanboy). The only weakness I can see is his chin, so where would he rank and how would his career have been different if God had given him whiskers?
Your thoughts please.
In Tommy's defence, he was knocked out by Hagler, Leonard, and Barkley. They all have pop.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
Nice post.

I think the boxing gods looked at Tommy, thought: "Oh shit, we created a monster here!" and decided to compensate by giving him a crappy chin.

Well, it wasn't THAT crappy but with a really solid beard he'd have been disgustingly powerful.
Beautiful.

I would even say that Hearns wins Hagler-Hearns II. And Hagler knew it because in '85 he all but admitted that he was totally outgunned everywhere except for endurance... so he saw no choice but to put his chin on the line and go right into a threshing machine. It's a helluva statement when the only chance you see against a WW/JMW boxing-bomber is to hope your chin holds up and his doesn't.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89
Beautiful.

I would even say that Hearns wins Hagler-Hearns II. And Hagler knew it because in '85 he all but admitted that he was totally outgunned everywhere except for endurance... so he saw no choice but to put his chin on the line and go right into a threshing machine. It's a helluva statement when the only chance you see against a WW/JMW boxing-bomber is to hope your chin holds up and his doesn't.
How would Hearns do any better in a return bout? He won't be able to keep Hagler off of him, and I don't think he stands up to Hagler's shots for 15 rounds.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Nick Balsamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Like someone said it earlier, Tommy cannot have a chin because of his long and skinny shape. His neck isn't thick, his legs weren't the most solid either. His stamina was average too. With great powers comes great vulnerabilities.
Nick Balsamo is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balsamo
Like someone said it earlier, Tommy cannot have a chin because of his long and skinny shape. His neck isn't thick, his legs weren't the most solid either. His stamina was average too. With great powers comes great vulnerabilities.
While fighters shaped like Hearns normaly lack durability there are notable exceptions.

The most striking example is Panam Al Brown was about as skinny as you can get and he seems to have been verry durable.

There are others.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
While fighters shaped like Hearns normaly lack durability there are notable exceptions.

The most striking example is Panam Al Brown was about as skinny as you can get and he seems to have been verry durable.

There are others.
Agreed. Tommy's body shape didn't necessarily mean he had to have a bad chin.

IMO Tommy's real problem wasn't his chin but his stamina (he had sinus problems) and his legs.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #22
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Even with his glass jaw 67 is way too low. Hearns with a granite chin would of been almost unbeatable, if not completely unbeatable. The guy just couldn't be outboxed and if you couldn't knock him out, how else are you going to win? He had everything bar the ability to take a shot.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
How would Hearns do any better in a return bout? He won't be able to keep Hagler off of him, and I don't think he stands up to Hagler's shots for 15 rounds.
Hearns, with Duran's demolition on his mind, warred with Hagler. He went into Hagler's strength and that was his critical error. Standing off and teeing off on him long range, boxing, and countering off of Hagler's forward motion would be a different fight. I believe that Hearns was at his strongest at JMW or possibly MW. Duran did this with some success. Leonard did this with obvious success. Hearns outboxed Leonard and Benitez --he sure as hell had the capability to deal with Hagler from outside and he had the guns to make Hagler tentative over time... especially if Hagler started to swell (which is not out of the question).
Stonehands89 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum