Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
boxing4life
Now or Never
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75
Default good gym bad area

ok guys i told you in my other post that im probebly going to switch gyms to a good gym with pros that train there such as: k-9(the guy from the contender),steve forbes,ronald hearns(thomas hearns son), and a few others. this gym also has a few of the best amateur fighters in the state. anyway everything is good about this gym besides the area it is in. it is in a sorda bad area. my mom supports me going there but she is affraid something will happen to me or her car might get jacked. please help me out here guys i need some suggestions because id love to go to this gym and train with some good people but at the same time i dont need my moms car getting stolen
boxing4life is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Zhaakal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1285
Default Re: good gym bad area

Quote:
i dont need my moms car getting stolen
Use a bus then.
Zhaakal is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
boxing4life
Now or Never
ESB Jr Member

i kinda thought about it but id have to get dropped off at the bus stop and the closest the bus can drop me off is a mile away from the gym which if you thought about it would kinda be a little dangerous walking a mile in a place in that area
Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
The_Hammer

vCash: 1000

Well, the fact is that most really good gyms with the more competitive members are going to be in bad areas. Competitive boxing, let's be real here, is a pretty blue-collar sport. So that's that.

As for the car getting stolen, that's a tough one. If you could find a nearby garage or pay parking lot, that would be good. It might be expensive that way, but if you were going to be doing serious training in the area, you might be able to negotiate a permanent space arrangement (which in addition to being useful would be pretty cool). Alternatively you could look at the bus routes in the area.
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
boxing4life
Now or Never
ESB Jr Member

ya good thinking the hammer! im going to check out this gym again today becasue today is there busiest day.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Motor City Sam
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4life
ok guys i told you in my other post that im probebly going to switch gyms to a good gym with pros that train there such as: k-9(the guy from the contender),steve forbes,ronald hearns(thomas hearns son), and a few others. this gym also has a few of the best amateur fighters in the state. anyway everything is good about this gym besides the area it is in. it is in a sorda bad area. my mom supports me going there but she is affraid something will happen to me or her car might get jacked. please help me out here guys i need some suggestions because id love to go to this gym and train with some good people but at the same time i dont need my moms car getting stolen
Boxing4Life, is this gym in Detroit? What area is it in? I might be able to give you some parking suggestions where your car would be okay. Also, think about getting a "Club" anti - theft device if you don't have one already.

As The Hammer said, most boxing gyms are in bad neighborhoods. When I was traveling a lot for my job, I would always try to find a local boxing gym to work out in while I was in town. I have been in gyms from Rhode Island to Cali, and more often than not they have been in tough neighborhoods.
Motor City Sam is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

man don't worry about it...unless u do something retarded or really have no respect, nobody will really do much to ur mom's car. now if u try stuntin on em, bumpin ur radio mean muggin em n throwin up some gang signs or something THEN u will get ****ed up lol...but other than that. don't worry about it. plus make some friends there.
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

even if u gotta walk, treat everybody w/ respect and not act like ur better than them or something, feel me? i highly doubt if u don't start nething they won't do nething back...keep us in touch
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #9
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Harden' the **** up
Smith is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing4life
its not the gym that makes the fighter remember that!
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
haggler2167
BLUE MOON!!
ESB Jr Member

just walk from the bus stop dont take any valubles with u fag what the worst that could happen walkin a mile no 1 would shoot u for no reason and they cant mug u if u have no valuble u fag grow a pairs of testies
haggler2167 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Just be careful.These other people talking shit are idiots.I live right next to a major city and you don't have to be doing anything for someone to come after you.It could be a case of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time.Could you take a taxi there?
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
itliangladiator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka_X3
its not the gym that makes the fighter remember that!
No, but a better gym can help a fighter. If this place is what he makes it out to be...then there should be better sparring and teaching than the other gym.
itliangladiator is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itliangladiator
No, but a better gym can help a fighter. If this place is what he makes it out to be...then there should be better sparring and teaching than the other gym.
Exactly and I agree with this, but I also agree that while he is just starting out, its not so bad to find a gym that is low key so he can get the attention needed to learn the basics, you go to a Gym like Kronk or Wildcard sure you get the training needed, but your on the back burner until you get yourself somewhere.
atleast with a low key Gym he can take what he gets from there and bring it with him when its time to move to the next level.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
itliangladiator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka_X3
Exactly and I agree with this, but I also agree that while he is just starting out, its not so bad to find a gym that is low key so he can get the attention needed to learn the basics, you go to a Gym like Kronk or Wildcard sure you get the training needed, but your on the back burner until you get yourself somewhere.
atleast with a low key Gym he can take what he gets from there and bring it with him when its time to move to the next level.
And I agree with you too. I didn't know he was just starting out.
itliangladiator is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing