Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
demzor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1363
Default Re: PRIDE's Kyrptonite! UFC's GnP with elbows............

Stats have shown that fights are NOT stopped because of cuts from elbows any more often than from punches or anything else.

I mean.. when was the last UFC fight stopped from an elbow cut? Stevenson on Yves Edwards maybe?
demzor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811

Excellent dialog so far.

I wasn't saying elbows while on the ground should be outlawed only that former PRIDE fighters aren't nec. prepared to defend against them.

Another point is that UFC fighters trying to fight under PRIDE rules might not be prepared for "soccer kicks" to the head if they are down.

Just making a few points here, I'm not trying to be bias toward one org. over the other mind you................

Hopefully a true pro like Fedor has been practicing his "elbow defense" and maybe picking up some pointers in that regard. I'd just hate to see his UFC debut end up like Crocops 2nd UFC fight.
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor
Stats have shown that fights are NOT stopped because of cuts from elbows any more often than from punches or anything else.

I mean.. when was the last UFC fight stopped from an elbow cut? Stevenson on Yves Edwards maybe?
Exactly, even then they did not stop the fight right awy, they checked it, saw it wasn't over the eye, and gave him a good 2-3 minutes to continue. And its not like it was a clipping elbow that did it, Stevenson pounded that, and probably 20 more elbows home hard. My god though, Yves looked like a horror movie victim, the blood almost looked fake, like from Carry or something.

Also, if a cut is truely incapacitating and debilitating like Vitali against Lewis, then the opponent effectively stopped the other guy from being able to fight, and isn't that the idea?
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I have to agree with most here, the stops on the behalf of elbows are exaggerated, infact punches probably create far more stoppages due to cuts.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I don't mind the elbows, its the rubbing of the elbow/forearm on someones face that I hate. If you can do that that why can't you pinch or push an elbow into someones spine?

I also think soccer kicks and kneeing and stomping downed opponents should be legal.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
Exactly, even then they did not stop the fight right awy, they checked it, saw it wasn't over the eye, and gave him a good 2-3 minutes to continue. And its not like it was a clipping elbow that did it, Stevenson pounded that, and probably 20 more elbows home hard. My god though, Yves looked like a horror movie victim, the blood almost looked fake, like from Carry or something.

Also, if a cut is truely incapacitating and debilitating like Vitali against Lewis, then the opponent effectively stopped the other guy from being able to fight, and isn't that the idea?
Excellent post, esp. the part about Edwards, here's a pic from that fight:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I love that pic, it personifies "warrior" to me.
RUSKULL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum