Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #76
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
I agree with you, IMO itīs out of question that Roldon had one-punch- wise at least twice the power Hopkins had...
Wha? You reckon Roldan had dopuble Hopkins power? I'm starting to think Hopkins has the most underrated power of his era. He's sure as hell no light puncher.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #77
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Wha? You reckon Roldan had dopuble Hopkins power? I'm starting to think Hopkins has the most underrated power of his era. He's sure as hell no light puncher.

No, I wrote one-punch-wise. Roldon was a fighter, when he landed a good shot, the opponent was out cold. He scored all of his KOīs with real KOīs, you canīt go with the KO-% always, Roldon is also very underrated in the area power. Hopkins IMO isnīt underrated, his power is at the world class calibre mediocre or good, nothing more, nothing less...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:22 AM   #78
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
No, I wrote one-punch-wise.
Isn't that the same? So you think Roldan has double the single shot power of Hopkins? (Can't see a difference between my question and this term)

Quote:
Roldon was a fighter, when he landed a good shot, the opponent was out cold. He scored all of his KOīs with real KOīs, you canīt go with the KO-% always
So remind me what notable durable fighters Roldan sparked. My minds pretty blank. He clubbed poor Rooster's Animal Fletcher to death, Frank thought defence was summin built around de house. He was exposed by Roldan. Truth be told i think of Roldan as a clubbing puncher before i think of him as a KO puncher. He hurt Hearns but couldn't finish him where Barkley did. I am truly struggling to remember these big ko's. 2/3 of his career were spent hammering Argentine no names. I would never underrate Jaun as a fighter, i respect him as a tough strong brawler but i would never mistake the man for a sharp puncher or KO artist.

Quote:
Hopkins IMO isnīt underrated, his power is at the world class calibre mediocre or good, nothing more, nothing less...
The difference between mediocre and good is VAST. What is it going to be? Tell me, was he mediocre or good?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #79
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1

The difference between mediocre and good is VAST. What is it going to be? Tell me, was he mediocre or good?


Hard to say, itīs important now where we see and rank Hopkins in view of all times. For a Top 10 MW of all times, where most see him, he has/ had of course mediocre power...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:27 AM   #80
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Hard to say, itīs important now where we see and rank Hopkins in view of all times. For a Top 10 MW of all times, where most see him, he has/ had of course mediocre power...
I strongly disagree. I think you underrate Hopkins as a puncher. Name me your top 10 middleweights, and don't cheat by easing a few bangers in you normally wouldn't rate

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #81
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I strongly disagree. I think you underrate Hopkins as a puncher. Name me your top 10 middleweights, and don't cheat by easing a few bangers in you normally wouldn't rate


I hope I wrote my thinkings insightfully, Roldon was ordinary as a puncher, he just had power. Hopkins, all in all, was a much better puncher. He had/ have combinations, good speed, technique and precision. I only talked about one-punch-power, and there I rank B-Hop not that high, as an overall puncher I rank him much much higher...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #82
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
I hope I wrote my thinkings insightfully, Roldon was ordinary as a puncher, he just had power. Hopkins, all in all, was a much better puncher. He had/ have combinations, good speed, technique and precision. I only talked about one-punch-power, and there I rank B-Hop not that high, as an overall puncher I rank him much much higher...
I knew exactly what you meant, and still disagree somewhat. I could never see Roldan as the KO puncher you say he is. As far as him having double Hopkins power single shot? Proposterous. When Hopkins was much more agressive early career he put the lights out on plenty of victims. Yes, they weren't top shelf, but that's the thing, neither were Roldan's. Roldan was a brawler, continuously looking for stoppages. As i say, when Hopkins was more similar he was dropping plenty of people. I'm not saying Hopkins was a big puncher, a ko artist etc. The man did hit hard however, a lot harder than many credit him for. Single shot power he is behind Roldan, but no-where near as far as you would have me believe.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #83
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I knew exactly what you meant, and still disagree somewhat. I could never see Roldan as the KO puncher you say he is. As far as him having double Hopkins power single shot? Proposterous. When Hopkins was much more agressive early career he put the lights out on plenty of victims. Yes, they weren't top shelf, but that's the thing, neither were Roldan's. Roldan was a brawler, continuously looking for stoppages. As i say, when Hopkins was more similar he was dropping plenty of people. I'm not saying Hopkins was a big puncher, a ko artist etc. The man did hit hard however, a lot harder than many credit him for. Single shot power he is behind Roldan, but no-where near as far as you would have me believe.

Yeah, I agree, the sentence "Twice the power..." was of course hyperbolical, but IMO Roldon had more power. But cool to say that we agree again!
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #84
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Yeah, I agree, the sentence "Twice the power..." was of course hyperbolical, but IMO Roldon had more power. But cool to say that we agree again!
Oh, and one last point, do you want to keep Hopkins on the mediocre power level and do your top 10 for me?

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #85
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Oh, and one last point, do you want to keep Hopkins on the mediocre power level and do your top 10 for me?


Hopkins is even in contrast to the best at 160 lbs. ever a good puncher, but not one-punch-wise for me.


A spontaneous Top 10 at MW in no order:


Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Harry Greb
Emile Griffith
Stanley Ketchel
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Nino Benvenuti
Joey Giardello
Tiger Flowers
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #86
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Hopkins is even in contrast to the best at 160 lbs. ever a good puncher, but not one-punch-wise for me.
Nobody was saying Hopkins was a one punch man. You were saying Hopkins is mediocre as a puncher, and then when questioned expanded it to be mediocre vs his top 10 peers. Hopkins is indeed a good puncher, agreed?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #87
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
A spontaneous Top 10 at MW in no order:

Carlos Monzon
Marvin Hagler
Harry Greb
Emile Griffith
Stanley Ketchel
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Nino Benvenuti
Joey Giardello
Tiger Flowers
Not many "one punch" men in that lot! Hopkins is anything but outclassed power wise against that group as a whole. I won't question how SRR didn't make the cut
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #88
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Nobody was saying Hopkins was a one punch man. You were saying Hopkins is mediocre as a puncher, and then when questioned expanded it to be mediocre vs his top 10 peers. Hopkins is indeed a good puncher, agreed?


Of course is Hopkins a good puncher. Ko- wins over Johnson, Trinidad, DLH, etc., you must be a respectable puncher. Sorry for not writing clearly what I meant...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #89
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Of course is Hopkins a good puncher. Ko- wins over Johnson, Trinidad, DLH, etc., you must be a respectable puncher. Sorry for not writing clearly what I meant...
Hey, it's all good. I enjoyed the banter pre pub
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #90
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Not many "one punch" men in that lot! Hopkins is anything but outclassed power wise against that group as a whole. I won't question how SRR didn't make the cut


I deliberated who would be in a Top 10 and I forgot the best fighter ever...



what a start in the day...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013