Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #121
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mavin Hagler Eats Bernard Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
I haven't had this much fun since I squeezed SRL off the forum.
Hahahaha, i have wondered what happened to him actually. He just disappeared. Hope things are ok for him. Don't take offense at my exposing of you and your methods, no hard feelings. You're a necessary evil around here

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #122
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo479
Now I want to make this perfectly clear.
The Bernard Hopkins that we see today, would not have beaten the Marvin Hagler that we all know of.

When I'm looking at this, I'm talking of the Bernard Hopkins that dismantled Tito Trinidad. That Bernard Hopkins was one of the best middleweights in the history of the game.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins are very much alike, they're hard men.. inside and outside of the squared circle. They both brought a very intimidating presence into the ring, and they both could fight to back up that presence.

But there is one major difference in styles that differentiates them... versatility.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler was a great fighter, but a fighter that relied on 3 things, conditioning, will, and physical strength. It was his goal to press a fight for 15 full rounds until whoever it was that was in front of him was gone. He carried this throughout his career, and he was absolutely brillaint in his work.

However, what would he do when a guy refused to stand with him, a guy that knows how to win, and that wouldn't buy into Hagler's game? Well, we all saw what he'd do, he'd keep trying. Hagler's fight with Sugar Ray Leonard set the blueprint and is the fight that I believe accurately depicts how Bernard Hopkins would have "Executed" Hagler, except in far more emphatic fashion then the much smaller Ray Leonard.

Hopkins is also, like Hagler, a HUGE middleweight. Physically powerful, and bruising. In a matchup of pure strength, this one is about as even as it gets. Many may think Hagler was stronger, but in terms of size and boxing functional strength, he was NOT.

The Hopkins at the time of the Trinidad fight would NOT have thrown a shot here and there, jumping in and out with a shot and looking to grab. He was a guy who put together punches, and found beautiful angles to land crushing shots. (His power was much more devestating a few years back, it has deteriorated with age, even Hopkins himself has admitted this) Lets not disregard the fact that Hopkins, just as Hagler was, has ALWAYS been in absolutely flawless condition.
Being as strong as Hopkins is, he would not have catered to Haglers style. He would have stuck him with a jab from the get go, letting Hagler start to bring the fight to him, and dissecting him with his overrall BETTER SKILLS and well roundedness.

Hagler was tremendous, but Hopkins just has more to work with. Hagler would be chasing Hopkins all night, but unlike the Hopkins we saw vs Eastman (a Hopkins that I like to refer to as slowing down, losing punching power, and the overall tenacity), the prime Bernard Hopkins was an absolutely murderous fighter. He would have shucked in and out (Hopkins is such a quicker fighter then the somewhat methodical Hagler) landing many series of devestating shots and leaving when any resistance was offered up from Hagler.

Certainly Hopkins would take a few shots in the bout, but with Hopkins's jaw of CAST IRON, there is absolutely no way that Hagler would have gotten to him enough to force a stoppage or even to significantly hurt Hopkins in my opinion. He would have chased him hard, he would have pressed the issue, but once Hopkins started Banging him and getting inside and mauling him, not giving Hagler any room, tapping him on the thighs, tangling him up, freeing up an arm and ripping a few uppercuts and short hooks (Hopkins is a perfectionist at this craft), he would gain control of Hagler.

Hopkins was too fast, equally strong, and had MANY MANY more options then Hagler. When Option 1 would fail for Hagler, he would have nothing else to resort to, of course The Marvelous one would try in vein, but it would be futile. Even when he beat Hearns, he had one option, go through all that punishment and do what he does best. Strength, will, and conditioning. Hopkins would NEVER get into that kind of fight with Hagler, and the result would be a hard fought Hopkins decision, potentially even stopping him late. Sugar Ray Leonard pulled it off, and he was nowhere near as strong as Hopkins, Hopkins is catlike quick, and there's no doubt in my mind he could pull off the same gimmick to perfection, except better. Just like he pulled off the gameplan set forth by Oscar De La Hoya on Felix Trinidad better.
WOW...that is a good post.

sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 AM   #123
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd

It was a great post, but i can't agree with the stopping him late possibility. Even tho i favour Hopkins Hagler ain't getting stopped in this one. Cuts would be the only way.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #124
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This post needs to end .
There is no way in hell Hopkins beats Hagler. NO WAY IN HELL!
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #125
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd

You mean it's a good work of fiction
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #126
buzzsaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hopkins recently added to his resume the Light Heavyweight title. Not bad for somebody who can only throw arm punches. I don’t see Hagler being able to do that in his era. Hopkins is a very versatile and adaptable fighter, he would frustrate Hagler and Marvin would keep plugging away as the rds slipped away.
buzzsaw is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #127
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Hopkins recently added to his resume the Light Heavyweight title. Not bad for somebody who can only throw arm punches. I donít see Hagler being able to do that in his era. Hopkins is a very versatile and adaptable fighter, he would frustrate Hagler and Marvin would keep plugging away as the rds slipped away.
Versatile yes. But up to a point. Why wasn't he versatile enough to win more than 3 rounds from Roy Jones jr? Maybe a good punch would have helped him out.

He certainly didn't get anywhere against an acid test like Jones jr. All other foes were just so-so but the second title at an old age helps his rep that much more so that he seems more than what he really is.

That's what people here love about me-my brutal honesty.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #128
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hopkins fought in a much weaker era of lt heavies than marvin....Can you imagine hop taking a lt heavy strap with spinks and the quality that was around in spinks' reign?
Taking a weak lt heavy champ does not necessarily improve your status as a middle,is nigel benn an atg middle because he also won a super middle title? Hopkins has a style to beat many guys but his resume is lacking and he did not fight the best...The man should have bust a gut to rematch jones,and fight toney,calzaghe,g-man,eubank,jackson or some decent prime lt heavies...He benefited from a relatively poor middleweight scene...At least marvin took on all comers...
And losing twice or being run close by taylor doesnt speak a lot for hoppo does it......? Anybody see even the 1987 marvin losing to taylor twice in a row?
Marvins opposition is also better,nobody on hopkins record would trouble marvin at all except for possibly jones.....You think hoppo easily beats hearns,leonard,duran etc....?
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #129
buzzsaw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

.....You think hoppo easily beats hearns,leonard,duran etc....?
No maybe not easily but then again Hagler struggled with each of these.
buzzsaw is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #130
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes hagler struggled with each of these but he beat two of them and had a competitive fight with leonard...Im not sure if hoppo could beat any of them decisively,and my point was more that marvin would beat all of hops opponents easily with the exception of possibly jones....Hagler would not struggle with bernards middle challengers,wheras i think bernard would definately struggle with haglers,even those challengers outside of marvins big three atg opponents....
enquirer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum