Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Hatton to get $10,000,000 new 3 fight HBO deal if he beats Castillo

Now please tell me how he deserves this kind of deal if he beats Castillo.
The way I look at it is Hattons best win was against an old inactive Tszyu, & since then hes won unremarkable fights against the likes of Maussa & Urango, & was arguably beaten by Collazo.

Now many many people think Castillo is 'shot' & there for the taking kinda like Tszyu was, so does Hatton deserve a megabucks deal for winning this fight? I really dont think so. Fair play to Ricky if he wins, however I am perplexed at this massive financial carrot on offer for what many people would see as a good win, but not a great one.

So where do the rest of you stand on this one, do you think Ricky Hatton deserves to be given such a massive contract by HBO for beating Castillo?

Last edited by Dunky McCafferty; 06-17-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
IronBull
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Hatton to get $10,000,000 new 3 fight HBO deal if he beats Castillo

I think Hatton got an offer from BBC.. but he reject it!!
IronBull is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Hitman_Hatton
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hes an undefeated world class fighter, has a likeable personality with an all action style and one of the biggest fan bases in boxing along with Oscar and Cotto (although i doubt 10,000 Oscar or Cotto fans would travel across the distance Hattons fans would to see them fight). If he gets by Castillo he will have his name on his resume along with Tszyu aswell as some other very respectable solid B level fighters. He has potential fights down the line with Cotto, Mayweather, Diaz, Malignaggi, Witter. So yes i can see why HBO are keen on getting rights to his next few fights. They are probably expecting him in even more demand after the Castillo fight as it has all the makings of a classic.
Hitman_Hatton is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Now many many people think Castillo is 'shot' & there for the taking kinda like Tszyu was
That's complete bollocks. if it was anything close to being true, hatton would have been the favourite to win. He wasn't. Experts picked Tszyu, bookies favoured Tszyu and most fans gave him the edge too. It's not like this is Duran against Joppy. Tszyu was an elite fighter, ranked #3 by The Ring at the time and coming off a 13 fight winning streak over 8 years. not to mention his complete dominance of the division.

And Castillo isn't shot either. Two bad performances, but the last time he was beaten was against Corrales, which was disputed. He destroyed him in the rematch. Prior to that, 5 years ago against Mayweather. Hardly 'Bum of the month', is it?

Anyway, it's simple. Hatton is a draw and all his next fights will be big.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

If he beats Castillo then yes he does deserve something of this ilk.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman_Hatton
Hes an undefeated world class fighter, has a likeable personality with an all action style and one of the biggest fan bases in boxing along with Oscar and Cotto (although i doubt 10,000 Oscar or Cotto fans would travel across the distance Hattons fans would to see them fight). If he gets by Castillo he will have his name on his resume along with Tszyu aswell as some other very respectable solid B level fighters. He has potential fights down the line with Cotto, Mayweather, Diaz, Malignaggi, Witter. So yes i can see why HBO are keen on getting rights to his next few fights. They are probably expecting him in even more demand after the Castillo fight as it has all the makings of a classic.
Fair enough HH, you mke a good argument for your boy & it aint my intentions to take this down the usual hatton thread route that turns into a slanging match. So you think hatton WILL fight against some of the names you mentioned if he beats Castillo? Thats the bit I worry about, going by Hattons past record I could see him if he defeats Castillo taking 3 unremarkable fights, picking up ten million & retiring.

Thats how I dont like the sound of this deal, it sounds like easy money for Hatton to me. Your a man in the know about Hatton, so do you know if theres a 'superfight' clause written into this latest deal that Hatton hs to fight a big name & not just belt holders? Honest question.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
That's complete bollocks. if it was anything close to being true, hatton would have been the favourite to win. He wasn't. Experts picked Tszyu, bookies favoured Tszyu and most fans gave him the edge too. It's not like this is Duran against Joppy. Tszyu was an elite fighter, ranked #3 by The Ring at the time and coming off a 13 fight winning streak over 8 years. not to mention his complete dominance of the division.

And Castillo isn't shot either. Two bad performances, but the last time he was beaten was against Corrales, which was disputed. He destroyed him in the rematch. Prior to that, 5 years ago against Mayweather. Hardly 'Bum of the month', is it?

Anyway, it's simple. Hatton is a draw and all his next fights will be big.
Jack, I have never said Castillo was shot. Im unsure, cos I havent seen his last two fights. I just read the posters on the forums, & most overseas posters think Castillo is shot, or has seen better days. As for Tszyu? I was just using his name as a comparison, rightly or wrongly.
As I asked HH though, do you think Hatton will feature in a megafight if he beats Castillo? Cos I think he may take 3 low risk fghts, pick up 10million quid & pack it in. Im going on past form.

Anyway Im not trying to pick a fight, just asking some searching questions
Old 06-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Hitman_Hatton
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Well if he gets by Castillo and its a convincing performance i believe any of those fights could happen. If he is tied up to HBO they will obviously looking for the biggest fights which out of the names i mentioned are clearly Cotto and Floyd. With HBO calling the shots i see the Malignaggi and Witter fights becoming less likely as they are big risk fights with awkward style clashes aswell as Paulie and Junior not being household names. So yes i could see at least 1 of those 3 fights being against either Cotto or Mayweather i can't see HBO giving Rick $10 million dollars to be fighting fringe contenders they will be wanting some serious $$$ back from his fights and that means big buyrates which in turn means big names.
Hitman_Hatton is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman_Hatton
Well if he gets by Castillo and its a convincing performance i believe any of those fights could happen. If he is tied up to HBO they will obviously looking for the biggest fights which out of the names i mentioned are clearly Cotto and Floyd. With HBO calling the shots i see the Malignaggi and Witter fights becoming less likely as they are big risk fights with awkward style clashes aswell as Paulie and Junior not being household names. So yes i could see at least 1 of those 3 fights being against either Cotto or Mayweather i can't see HBO giving Rick $10 million dollars to be fighting fringe contenders they will be wanting some serious $$$ back from his fights and that means big buyrates which in turn means big names.
I hope you are right HH, I just want to see Hatton in with the best, so we can find out once & for all just how good Hatton is Its been a long time coming, but a fight with Castillo is a step in the right direction at last.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Now please tell me how he deserves this kind of deal if he beats Castillo.
The way I look at it is Hattons best win was against an old inactive Tszyu, & since then hes won unremarkable fights against the likes of Maussa & Urango, & was arguably beaten by Collazo.

Now many many people think Castillo is 'shot' & there for the taking kinda like Tszyu was, so does Hatton deserve a megabucks deal for winning this fight? I really dont think so. Fair play to Ricky if he wins, however I am perplexed at this massive financial carrot on offer for what many people would see as a good win, but not a great one.

So where do the rest of you stand on this one, do you think Ricky Hatton deserves to be given such a massive contract by HBO for beating Castillo?
Very profound post. I take exception to nothing written in there. I have a hard time understanding this as well, especially since nobody cares about him in the States. On top of all that he's not very good or even marketable with a mug only a mother could love. I suppose I've seen HBO make worse deals. I guess this is the kind of thing you resort to when you've got MMA closing in in your rearview mirror.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Some Hatton quotes on the proposed HBO deal-

"I need a stonking performance to make the next deal better. A big show will open so many doors. My ideal scenario is to look terrific & get another 3 fight agreement.
"For any fighter to land a contract with HBO is fanstastic. For an english boxer to do it is something extra. If I produce a mediocre win, my hands are going to be tied when we sit down at the negotiating table. So this is a big fight for me in more ways than one"
"The future is packed with opportunities. I hope to have a homecoming and fight again in England.
"we are speaking to bosses of the new Wembley & Man city stadiums & I would like to come bck for the fans who helped me get where I am"
---------------------------

Its those quotes that had me asking questions, cos he didnt talk of any megafights, just getting his new deal & coming back home.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Fighter
Very profound post. I take exception to nothing written in there. I have a hard time understanding this as well, especially since nobody cares about him in the States. On top of all that he's not very good or even marketable with a mug only a mother could love. I suppose I've seen HBO make worse deals. I guess this is the kind of thing you resort to when you've got MMA closing in in your rearview mirror.
Thank you CF my man
Old 06-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

The most annoying thing is how everyone now says Tszyu was shot or on the way down as if it is a fact. The only fact is that in his previous fight he destroyed Mitchell and proclaimed himself to be in peak shape for the Hatton fight. EVERYONE bar a handful of Hatton fanatics picked Tszyu to win by KO and yet as soon as Hatton won the bullshit comes out.

There was no evidence he was on the slide and he has never said anything akin to such himself. In fact he fought how he has always fought, methodical, quite flat footed, but very accurate and very focused.

Now the haters are already getting the excuse in early, they are calling Castillo shot of the back of one bad performance in his last bout at a new weight. Just like Calzaghe was shot after his fight with Bika. Well in that case Hatton is shot too, so we have two shot fighters facing each other.

If Castillo wins you will never hear the end of it and Hatton was a "fraud". If Hatton wins "Castillo was shot".
Funny because Judah had lost to Baldomir and then again in his next fight (albeit to PBF) and yet Cotto beating him is hailed as world class and incredible.

Only a year ago Castillo starched Coralles and making weight was his main problem, once settled at 140 he should be stronger.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronBull
I think Hatton got an offer from BBC.. but he reject it!!
Should Khan get a 10,000,000$ deal? Do you want to make a case for that?
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
sandwichsurgeon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Should Khan get a 10,000,000$ deal? Do you want to make a case for that?
OI!!!!

Don't you think there are enough car crashes in this country without him being able to buy supercars for him and his friends?
sandwichsurgeon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum