Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default The Fab Four - Rank Them

If such a thing is possible without being unfair, rank the Fab Four (Hagler, Leonard Hearns and Duran) one to four as you see fit.

Is it unfair to be so broad about it? Do they simply have to be ranked according to their prime weight classes?

Duran as a lightweight.

Leonard as a welter.

Hearn's as a junior middleweight.

Hagler as a middleweight.

It's funny how Hearn's is often perhaps the most unfairly looked at of the Fab Four and yet a case could potentially be made for him being at the top of that group.

An example of what I'm looking for here...

None of the Fab Four moved as far up in weight nor won as many titles as Hearn's would over the course of his career.

Hearn's has the most conclusive, devestating win over another member of the Fab Four in his destruction of Roberto Duran.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: The Fab Four - Rank Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
If such a thing is possible without being unfair, rank the Fab Four (Hagler, Leonard Hearns and Duran) one to four as you see fit.

Is it unfair to be so broad about it? Do they simply have to be ranked according to their prime weight classes?

Duran as a lightweight.

Leonard as a welter.

Hearn's as a junior middleweight.

Hagler as a middleweight.

It's funny how Hearn's is often perhaps the most unfairly looked at of the Fab Four and yet a case could potentially be made for him being at the top of that group.

An example of what I'm looking for here...

None of the Fab Four moved as far up in weight nor won as many titles as Hearn's would over the course of his career.

Hearn's has the most conclusive, devestating win over another member of the Fab Four in his destruction of Roberto Duran.
Sugar Ray Leonard was the most talented and versatile of all of them in my opinion. The only member to defeat all other members of the fab four.

Marvin Hagler is just behind leonard as he had a really long reign at middleweight, and saw off Duran and Hearns, the latter by knockout.

Thomas Hearns is an unfortunate case. He could well have defeated Leonard in their first bout, but he was unable to see it through the end. I only count his loss to Hagler and Leonard, otherwise he won the title in brutal fashion and brutally stopped Duran. The only fighter ever to do so to a Duran that wasn't 100% shot. He also outboxed Benitez.

Duran comes at the bottom of the pile in terms of fab four era. He was beaten by all three, and was never what he was at lightweight. In a P4P sense, Duran tops them all though.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

1. Duran
2. Leonard
3. Hagler
4. Hearns
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

1 Roberto Duran - Dominated lightweight, then went up and was competitive against the bigger greats, and beat some good ones at 154 and 160, years past his prime.

2 Marvin Hagler - Dominated middlewight for years. Beat Duran, beat Hearns, arguably deserved the Win over Leonard. Never knocked out, never knocked down.

3 (tied) Sugar Ray Leonard - Beat all the others on this list, in mega-fights. Never hung around to dominate any division though, and took long breaks and retirements.

3 (tied) Thomas Hearns - lost the two mega-fights against Leonard and Hagler. Crushed Cuevas, outboxed Benitez, destroyed Duran. Never dominated a division, or grabbed the linear or undisputed title in any. A freak of nature, a supreme talent, he was dangerous and special fighter from 147 to 175.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Reall tough pick between Leonard and Duran for number one at their prime weights ...

Duran at lightweight
Leonard at welter
Hagler at middle
Hearns at jr. middle

If Hearns stayed at Jr. Middle for a few more years instead of jumping up to middle and light heavy, he would be rated higher as an all time great ...

Tommy was an exceptionally exciting fighter but the chin could scare you as much as his power ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

If it's between Leonard, Duran, Hagler, hearns then Leonard has to be placed last. Too many negatives and not enough fights, too many cop outs, facing Duran, Hearns, Lalonde instead of Nunn, Jackson, McCallum. Then ther was that disaster with Norris and farce with Hagler.

I was just watching Hagler v. Norberto Cabrera, a vicious bomber, yesterday and it never ceases to amaze me what an outstanding fighter he was as if he were born to fight more than any other man. Cabrera hurt Hagler I believe but Marvin just got himself together and went back on the attack as tho nothing happened.

Hagler and Jones definitely up there with Robinson, Pep, Greb, Ketchel and the like.

Duran would be second, most of his true abilities displayed by the age of 28. Not nearly as effective at higher weights. His lack of discipline and partying often led to many lackluster performances and unnecessary defeats.

Tommy Hearns who had the nerve to step in with a near prime Hagler was a near perfect fighter. Easily outboxed Ray Leonard until his lack of muscle and stamina caught up with him. Much stronger at higher weights and harder hitting. Ask Roberto Duran and James Shuler.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

1. Duran - Lightweight
2. Leonard
3. Hagler - Middleweight
4. Hearns - Welterweight

This is razor thin in my opinion and I couldn't really argue with any order. That's why it's such a legendary series of fights (you could throw in Benitez too, but he'd definitely be 5).
natonic is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash
1. Duran
2. Leonard
3. Hagler
4. Hearns
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Leonard wa sthe most talented of them all but i rate him last because of his inactivity and short prime

Here is my list:

Duran
Hearns
Hagler
Leonard

The reason I rate Hearns above Hagler and leonard is Tommy was a legitimate champion in 5 weight classes and had a strong claim to be the best at all these classes. He was a great force at eevry weight

Duran is number 1 because he was a dominant champion in a greatly strong weight class and proved a force to be reckoned with as high as middleweight. he also beat a prime SRL
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE

The reason I rate Hearns above Hagler and leonard is Tommy was a legitimate champion in 5 weight classes and had a strong claim to be the best at all these classes.
No, he didn't.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
vCash: 223

1.leonard
2.hearns
3.duran
4.hagler
cjgloves is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash
1. Duran
2. Leonard
3. Hagler
4. Hearns
Just my list.
prime is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
No, he didn't.
if you discount the wbo title. i know he wasn't the linear but he was a genuine champ in every division.
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Head to head in their own group

1. SRL
2. Hagler
3. Hearns
4. Duran

Overall P4P

1. Duran
2. SRL
3. Hearns
4. Hagler
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #15
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy Elite
1. Hearns
2. Duran
3. Hagler
4. Leonard
You're going to have to explain that list chief.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum