Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Who are they, starting in 1891-1900?
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Who are they, starting in 1891-1900?
1891-1900
1. Bob Fitzsimmons
2. George Dixon
3. Tommy Ryan
4. Kid McCoy
5. Joe Choynski

1901-1910
1. Joe Gans
2. Terry McGovern
3. Barbados Joe Walcott
4. Jack Johnson
5. Stanley Ketchel

1911-1920
1. Sam Langford
2. Jimmy Wilde
3. Benny Leonard
4. Jack Dillon
5. Jack Dempsey/Harry Wills

1921-1930
1. Harry Greb
2. Mickey Walker
3. Gene Tunney
4. Kid Norfolk
5. Tommy Loughran/Tommy Gibbons

1931-1940
1. Henry Armstrong
2. Joe Louis
3. Barney Ross
4. Jimmy McLarnin
5. Tony Canzoneri

1941-1950
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Ezzard Charles
3. Willie Pep
4. Sandy Saddler
5. Ike Williams

1951-1960
1. Archie Moore
2. Rocky Marciano
3. Duilio Loi
4. Pascual Perez
5. Carmen Basilio

1961-1970
1. Eder Jofre
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Emile Griffith
4. Carlos Ortiz
5. Fighting Harada

1971-1980
1. Roberto Duran
2. Carlos Monzon
3. Jose Napoles
4. Bob Foster
5. Joe Frazier

1981-1990
1. Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Aaron Pryor
4. Salvador Sanchez
5. Alexis Arguello

I did a century off the top of my head--just to give you guys something to criticize and put forth your own thoughts. I only rated a fighter in one decade.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

You guys know more about the 1990's than I do, but here goes, just to start a discussion, cause I would like to see some opinions on this\
1. Pernell Whitaker
2. Roy Jones
3. Julio Ceasar Chavez
4. Evander Holyfield
5. Ricardo Lopez

Okay critics--fire away.

Last edited by OLD FOGEY; 07-25-2007 at 12:13 AM.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

i can't go back a century. I'll try later

70's

Monzon
Duran
Arguello
Napoles
Ali

80's

Hagler
Spinks
Sanchez
Hearns
Camacho

90's

Jones
Bowe
DLH
Hopkins
Barerra
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
1891-1900
1. Bob Fitzsimmons
2. George Dixon
3. Tommy Ryan
4. Kid McCoy
5. Joe Choynski

1901-1910
1. Joe Gans
2. Terry McGovern
3. Barbados Joe Walcott
4. Jack Johnson
5. Stanley Ketchel

1911-1920
1. Sam Langford
2. Jimmy Wilde
3. Benny Leonard
4. Jack Dillon
5. Jack Dempsey/Harry Wills

1921-1930
1. Harry Greb
2. Mickey Walker
3. Gene Tunney
4. Kid Norfolk
5. Tommy Loughran/Tommy Gibbons

1931-1940
1. Henry Armstrong
2. Joe Louis
3. Barney Ross
4. Jimmy McLarnin
5. Tony Canzoneri

1941-1950
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Ezzard Charles
3. Willie Pep
4. Sandy Saddler
5. Ike Williams

1951-1960
1. Archie Moore
2. Rocky Marciano
3. Duilio Loi
4. Pascual Perez
5. Carmen Basilio

1961-1970
1. Eder Jofre
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Emile Griffith
4. Carlos Ortiz
5. Fighting Harada

1971-1980
1. Roberto Duran
2. Carlos Monzon
3. Jose Napoles
4. Bob Foster
5. Joe Frazier

1981-1990
1. Sugar Ray Leonard
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Aaron Pryor
4. Salvador Sanchez
5. Alexis Arguello

I did a century off the top of my head--just to give you guys something to criticize and put forth your own thoughts. I only rated a fighter in one decade.
Some posters may debate some placements, but if that's off the top of your head, it's an awesome effort.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Sorry.

Jones
Whitaker
Bowe
DLH
Barrera

For some reason I forgot to put him in.
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,342
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Not just that, but Bowe and no Lewis? No Holyfield? Barrera?
Bowe was a lot of things but high on a p4p list isn't one of them. And even though I'm a huge Lewis fan (face it you either love him or you hate him) I don't think he belongs on a p4p list either. Holyfield's a different story. At the very least he's a candidate.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manchester England
Posts: 558
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY

1961-1970
1. Eder Jofre
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Emile Griffith
4. Carlos Ortiz
5. Fighting Harada
Ali during the decade of his prime was clearly the bestp4p fighter of the 60's even taking in to account the enforced lay off.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

excellent lists old fogey
dmt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
Ali during the decade of his prime was clearly the bestp4p fighter of the 60's even taking in to account the enforced lay off.
No, actually, Jofre was considered the best.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Nick Balsamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alma Beach
Posts: 167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
i can't go back a century. I'll try later

70's

Monzon
Duran
Arguello
Napoles
Ali

80's

Hagler
Spinks
Sanchez
Hearns
Camacho

90's

Jones
Bowe
DLH
Hopkins
Barerra

Your 90's list is absolutely Riddick-ulous !

Barrera and the fat man doesn't belong in the top 5.

Where's Pernell Whitaker ?
Nick Balsamo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balsamo

Where's Pernell Whitaker ?
You kidding? Do you really think Rednut is going to mention Whitaker after his legendary ass whupping of peak Camacho in the gym?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

I already have Pernell in as you can see. I was never that crazy about him and forgot but until Sweet Pea reminded me of his credentials.

Barerra was edged out by Hopkins with his 20 defenses. Holyfield was whipped twice by my man. I was going to put in Lewis but then I remembered his crappy chin.
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

No way is Pryor top 5 p4p in the 1980s. Spinks has a shout at number 1 for that decade.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:36 PM   #15
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzard
No way is Pryor top 5 p4p in the 1980s. Spinks has a shout at number 1 for that decade.
You put your finger on my biggest oversight. Spinks should have been third in the 1980's--he just slipped my mind. Sorry. I do think Pryor deserves to rank #4.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013