Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Top 10 fighters from 1891-1900

10 Pedlar Palmer
9 Jack Dempsey
8 James J Corbett
7 Peter Jackson
6 Young Griffo
5 Terry McGovern
4 James J Jeffries
3 Jack McAuliffe
2 Bob Fitzsimmons
1 George Dixon

Mentions:

Billy Plimmer, , Billy Murphy, Ben Jordan, George Lavigne, Joe Walcott, Tommy Ryan, Mysterious Billy Smith, Kid McCoy and John L Sullivan

Top 10 fighters from 1901 to 1910

10 Tommy Ryan
9 Jim Driscoll
8 James J Jeffries
7 Joe Walcott
6 Stanley Ketchel
5 Terry McGovern
4 Jack Johnson
3 Sammy Langford
2 Abe Attell
1 Joe Gans

Mentions:

Owen Moran, Jimmy Walsh, Ben Jordan, Young CorbettII, Battling Nelson, Jack Sullivan, Billy Papke, Bob Fitzsimmons, Jack O’Brien and Tommy Burns

Top 10 fighters 1911 to 1920

10 Jim Driscoll
9 Harry Wills
8 Jack Johnson
7 Benny Leonard
6 Freddie Welsh
5 Jack Britton
4 Ted Lewis
3 Georges Carpentier
2 Johnny Kilbane
1 Jimmy Wilde

Mentions:

Kid Williams, Pete Herman, Abe Attell, Ad Wolgast, Dixie Kid, Mike Gibbons, Les Darcy, Mike O’Dowd, Sammy Langford, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky, Sam McVey, Joe Jeanette and Jack Dempsey


Top 10 fighters 1921 to 1930

10 Sammy Mandell
9 Harry Wills
8 Jack Dempsey
7 Al Brown
6 Tommy Loughran
5 Gene Tunney
4 Pancho Villa
3 Harry Greb
2 Mickey Walker
1 Benny Leonard

Mentions:

Jimmy Wilde, Fidel la Barba, Johnny Kilbane, Johnny Dundee, Kid Kaplan, Benny Bass, Tony Canzoneri, Bat Battalino, Pinkey Mitchell, Jackie Berg, Jack Britton, Joe Dundee, Jackie Fields, Tiger Flowers, Georges Carpentier, Jack Delaney and Maxie Rosenbloom


Top 10 fighters 1931 to 1940

10 Jimmy McLarnin
9 Jackie Berg
8 Benny Lynch
7 Billy Conn
6 Tony Canzoneri
5 Mickey Walker
4 Barney Ross
3 Maxie Rosenbloom
2 Joe Louis
1 Henry Armstrong

Mentions:

Midget Wolgast, Jackie Brown, Little Dado, Al Brown, Kid Chocolate, Baby Arizmendi, Freddie Miller, Joey Archibald, Jackie Fields, Lou Ambers, Fritzie Zivic, Charley Burley, Gorilla Jones, Marcel Thil, Freddie Steele, John Henry Lewis, Max Schmeling, Max Baer and James J Braddock

Top 10 fighters 1941 to 1950

10 Jake LaMotta
9 Rinty Monaghan
8 Sandy Saddler
7 Manuel Ortiz
6 Joe Louis
5 Ezzard Charles
4 Ike Williams
3 Charley Burley
2 Willie Pep
1 Ray Robinson

Mentions:

Jackie Paterson, Vic Toweel, Sammy Angott, Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery, Tippy Larkin, Fritzie Zivic, Red Cochrane, Tommy Bell, Tony Zale, Rocky Graziano, Marcel Cerdan, Gus Lesnevich, Freddie Mills, Archie Moore and Billy Conn
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Top 10 fighters 1951 to 1960

10 Floyd Patterson
9 Carmen Bassilio
8 Jimmy Curruthers
7 Kid Gavilan
6 Rocky Marciano
5 Pascual Perez
4 Joe Brown
3 Sandy Saddler
2 Archie Moore
1 Ray Robinson

Mentions:

Dado Marino, Alphonse Halimi, Willie Pep, Hogan Kid Bassey, Davey Moore, Carlos Ortiz, Don Jordan, Bobo Olson, Gene Fullmer, Joey Maxim, Harold Johnson, Jersey Joe Walcott and Ingemar Johansson

Top 10 fighters 1961 to 1970

10 Dick Tiger
9 Nicolino Loche
8 Bob Foster
7 Jose Napoles
6 Vincente Saldivar
5 Muhammad Ali
4 Nino Benvenuti
3 Carlos Ortiz
2 Eder Jofre
1 Emile Griffith

Mentions:

Pone Kingpetch, Fighting Harada, Lionel Rose, Ruben Olivares, Davey Moore, Sugar Ramos, Flash Elorde, Ismael Laguna, Duilio Loi, Benny Paret, Luis Rodriguez, Curtis Cokes, Ki-Soo Kim, Joey Giardello, Carlos Monzon, Willie Pastrano, Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston and Joe Frazier

Top 10 fighters 1971 to 1979

10 Eder Jofre
9 Ruben Olivares
8 Alexis Arguello
7 Antonio Cervantes
6 Bob Foster
5 Jose Napoles
4 Carlos Zarate
3 Muhammad Ali
2 Carlos Monzon
1 Roberto Duran


Mentions:

Yuko Gushiken, Alfonso Zamora, Lupe Pintor, Wilfredo Gomez, Ernesto Marcel, Danny Lopez, Ken Buchanan, Esteban DeJesus, Guts Ishimatsu (Suzuki), Nicolino Loche, Wilfred Benitez, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Palomino, Ray Leonard, Rodrigo Valdez, John Conteh, Victor Galindez, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Larry Holmes and Ken Norton


Top 10 fighters 1980 to 1989

10 Roberto Duran
9 Aaron Pryor
8 Eusebio Pedroza
7 Julio Cesar Chavez
6 Larry Holmes
5 Michael Spinks
4 Tommy Hearns
3 Mike Tyson
2 Marvin Hagler
1 Ray Leonard


Mentions:

Alexis Arguello, Hector Camacho, Lupe Pintor, Sot Chitalada, Michael Nunn, Jeff Fenech, Myung Woo Yuh, Jung Koo Chang, Mike McCallum, Evander Holyfield, Pernell Whitaker, Jeff Chandler, Khoasio Galaxy, Salvador Sanchez and Azumah Nelson




Top 10 fighters 1990 to 1999



10 Julio Cesar Chavez
9 James Toney
8 Felix Trinidad
7 Naseem Hamed
6 Terry Norris
5 Pernell Whitaker
4 Evander Holyfield
3 Ricardo Lopez
2 Roy Jones Jr
1 Oscar de la Hoya


Mentions:

Virgil Hill, Nigel Benn, Saman Sorjaturong, Kostya Tszyu, Azumah Nelson, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Marco Antonio Barrera, Bernard Hopkins, Shane Mosley, Riddick Bowe, Brian Mitchell, Dariusz Michalczewski, Kaosai Galaxy, Orlando Canizales and Lennox Lewis

Fire away, there is scope for a lot of improvement pre 1960, I am open to suggestions.



TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

You've got your numbers mixed up; it should be 1960 to 1969, for example, not 1961-1970. It's like when a clock starts, it doesn't start at 'one' but rather 'zero.'
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
You've got your numbers mixed up; it should be 1960 to 1969, for example, not 1961-1970. It's like when a clock starts, it doesn't start at 'one' but rather 'zero.'
The thread asks you to start at 1891 to 1900...

And to be fair as there was never a year zero, it does make sense.

I change it from 1980 because I already had them lists.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The thread asks you to start at 1891 to 1900...

And to be fair as there was never a year zero, it does make sense.

I change it from 1980 because I already had them lists.
I wasn't directing it at you, but anyone who followed the initial incorrect method.

'Year zeros' occur regularly throughout history. 1980, 1990, 2000 etc... As I said, a clock starts at zero, not one (imagine a second - you don't count 'one, two, three', you count '[gap] one, two, three). Just as a decade starts at zero and finishes just before the next zero. By starting the '40s at 1941, you've missed out on the first year of that decade.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #21
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I wasn't directing it at you, but anyone who followed the initial incorrect method.

'Year zeros' occur regularly throughout history. 1980, 1990, 2000 etc... As I said, a clock starts at zero, not one (imagine a second - you don't count 'one, two, three', you count '[gap] one, two, three). Just as a decade starts at zero and finishes just before the next zero. By starting the '40s at 1941, you've missed out on the first year of that decade.
The reason I say this is there was never a year '0' in our Gergorian calender so actually crosstrainer is right a decade is year 1 to year 10 and so on for our calender...
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
The reason I say this is there was never a year '0' in our Gergorian calender so actually crosstrainer is right a decade is year 1 to year 10 for our calender...
Year one isn't called year one. The first year is from zero to the end of the 365th day.

Why do you think they call the 1800s the nineteenth century, and the 1900s the twentieth century? Because the first century started from zero; the second century started from one, and so on.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Year one isn't called year one. The first year is from zero to the end of the 365th day.

Why do you think they call the 1800s the nineteenth century, and the 1900s the twentieth century? Because the first century started from zero; the second century started from one, and so on.
Year one was called year one, there never was a year zero. And people stayed true to this up to the early 20th century, people celebrated the new century on December 31st 1900 not December 31st 1899.

But because we live in a time were people lack knowledge of Gergorian calender (thankfully mainly because people are not so religious) that little fact has been over looked between 1901 and 2000.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Why is Walker above Greb TBooze? For no reason? Thought so.
There was a reason, I knew it would get you stirred up

Actually unlike Greb who was sadly no longer with us after 1926, Walker fought the entire decade and accomplished more in the 20s than Greb did
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Year one was called year one, there never was a year zero. And people stayed true to this up to the early 20th century, people celebrated the new century on December 31st 1900 not December 31st 1899.

But because we live in a time were people lack knowledge of Gergorian calender (thankfully mainly because people are not so religious) that little fact has been over looked between 1901 and 2000.
Sorry, you're wrong.

Whatever you want to call year one or year zero or whatever, the fact remains: time starts at zero, not one. And regarding decades, that means the next decade starts at zero again once the last one reaches the end of the 365th day of its last year. Decades are as so:

1940-49
1950-59
1960-69

... And so on. They do not start at at '41, '51 or '61.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #26
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Forget the details of date--it is distracting us from the task at hand. If you prefer, call it "timeframe 1891 to 1900" or whatever you want. Let's just get the fighters list finished.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #27
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,833
vCash: 0
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Sorry, you're wrong.

Whatever you want to call year one or year zero or whatever, the fact remains: time starts at zero, not one. And regarding decades, that means the next decade starts at zero again once the last one reaches the end of the 365th day of its last year. Decades are as so:

1940-49
1950-59
1960-69

... And so on. They do not start at at '41, '51 or '61.
I think you proved the point my secular friend
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #28
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
I think you proved the point my secular friend
I've proved my own point, yes. Thank you.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #29
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

cross_trainer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #30
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,835
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top 5 pound-for-pound per decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I wasn't directing it at you, but anyone who followed the initial incorrect method.

'Year zeros' occur regularly throughout history. 1980, 1990, 2000 etc... As I said, a clock starts at zero, not one (imagine a second - you don't count 'one, two, three', you count '[gap] one, two, three). Just as a decade starts at zero and finishes just before the next zero. By starting the '40s at 1941, you've missed out on the first year of that decade.
But the first marked year is year 1. The 20th century runs from 1901 to 2000, the 19th from 1801 to 1900. Cross Trainer, as he would be the first to point out, is a man of supreme erudition, and would never make an error on something like this.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013