Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Did Shavers really hit THAT hard?

I tend to wonder, given his low stoppage record against non-journeyman opposition.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Did Shavers really hit THAT hard?

Yes, I think he did. His punches were usually pretty crude, though. Perhaps that is part of the reason he couldn't knock out the better fighters.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Sakura
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shavers was not technically skilled fighter and his speed was also average. Without those ability it's hard to KO top opponents.
Sakura is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura
Shavers was not technically skilled fighter and his speed was also average. Without those ability it's hard to KO top opponents.
Foreman managed, despite extreme crudeness and none-too-blazing speed. Of course, it is plausible that Shavers hit just as hard but had trouble landing, but there isn't much proof in his record--or at least, proof that a good-but-not-great puncher couldn't also produce against a low level of opposition.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
joe33

vCash:

If he got a chance id say he did yes.I love the fight where jerry quarry jumped all over the guy,never let him really get going,thats how i would have tried to fight him
Old 07-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
I tend to wonder, given his low stoppage record against non-journeyman opposition.
Norton and Ellis thought so,check out Holmes shaking his foot upon rising from that thunderbolt right hand.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Sakura
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Foreman managed, despite extreme crudeness and none-too-blazing speed. Of course, it is plausible that Shavers hit just as hard but had trouble landing, but there isn't much proof in his record--or at least, proof that a good-but-not-great puncher couldn't also produce against a low level of opposition.
If Shavers would own average chin and even little more technical skills he would be one of the top dogs. His technicall skills was same level as journeymans (my opinion). Foreman was quite skilled fighters and he read opponets very well and that gives forgives a lot. He has his own lacks, but his physical strenght and size was to much for most of his opponents.
Sakura is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
LogDog69
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I met Shavers 7 years ago at a Church function in Magnolia, AR. The preacher there was from Shaver's home town in Alabama and he invited him to his church. While we were there one of my friends raised his hand up and asked Ernie to punch his hand as hard as he could, it took a while but he talked Ernie into it and he did it. About 2 minutes later, no bullshit, his hand was solid purple and damn near twice the size of his other hand. Plus if you don't believe that then I have read where Holmes said that Shavers punched like something from another planet and Holmes has been punched by a lot of good punchers like Tyson, Cooney, Holyfield, and Norton.
LogDog69 is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
MrSmall
Journeyman

The only reason Holmes got up apparently was because he hit his head on the canvas and it actually woke him up.
What do you make of that?

Punching is all technique I beleive, and natural aptitude.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Supposedly, no one ever came closer to knocking Ali out. Had Ali out on his feet, but Ali bullshitted his way through it all and Shavers believed it all, holding off on the kill.

Imagine he he'd been more aggressive and beaten Ali via TKO or something similar?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

In a word...YES.

Consider that despite his limitations, and his none-too-stellar handspeed that he was able to score some impressive stoppages against the likes of Young, Ellis, Roy Williams, and Ken Norton. Also, consider that he was in the top 5 for an extended period of time in an era that's considered one of the strongest in history. Hell, even in some of his more high profile losses, he had his opponents in a lot of trouble.

There was a reason for that, and that reason could simply be boiled down to two words..."punching power".
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101
In a word...YES.

Consider that despite his limitations, and his none-too-stellar handspeed that he was able to score some impressive stoppages against the likes of Young, Ellis, Roy Williams, and Ken Norton. Also, consider that he was in the top 5 for an extended period of time in an era that's considered one of the strongest in history. Hell, even in some of his more high profile losses, he had his opponents in a lot of trouble.

There was a reason for that, and that reason could simply be boiled down to two words..."punching power".
Yeah and Roy Williams was a big strong dude.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Supposedly, no one ever came closer to knocking Ali out. Had Ali out on his feet, but Ali bullshitted his way through it all and Shavers believed it all, holding off on the kill.

Imagine he he'd been more aggressive and beaten Ali via TKO or something similar?
I've always believed that Shavers could have stopped him that night but was drawn to the mystique that was Ali. After that mammoth of a right hand all he had to do was pull the trigger and let it all out and Ali would have been legitimately Ko'd.

But he hesitated and let Ali recover.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
Guido
ESB Addict
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Foreman had a much better jab (Liston too, while we're at it), and that let him setup the really bone-crunching punches much better -- Shavers didn't have the jab, or overall skill, to do that against the top competition of his era.

That right hand he landed on Holmes in their second fight though -- DAMN -- all credit to Larry for getting up.
Guido is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

No doubt that he hit hard as hell. The reason he has fewer stoppages against ranked opposition is because he was very limited in all other aspects.

I don't believe that he's in another category than a Tyson or a Marciano, though.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum