boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #136
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Greater Resume: Lewis or Holmes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Jesus. That's the most hideous scorecard i've ever seen. 10-5 Holmes would be far more accurate (I had it 9-6 Larry).
Thats how I had it.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #137
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
What are you talking about? He meant that the referee could've waved Holmes-Shavers off because Holmes was hurt badly even after he got up.
Not based on what happened after he was allowed to continue.
Yeah, Larry was badly shaken, but his eyes were clear, not glazed over. Thats what refs look for when they stop fights. Thats why they look them in the eyes. And ask them questions. To see if they are still on ***** street, or if they are just badly shaken.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #138
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
i though spinks clearly outscored holmes first time round.i had witherspoon winning by a round but had larry edging norton by a round.
bill-in all honesty how in the heck do you make larry a winner in the first spinks fight?just cos you love the guy doesn't mean you can't score against him.
No, Ive scored against Larry before. I only had Larry winning by a round, and understand how people think Spinks won it. But the rematch, Larry won clearly.

PS I don't love him and you can go **** your self.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #139
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, get rid of Bill1234.
**** you. Get rid of I Am Legend, the guy has no concept of anything except Tyson. At least I have a concept of multiple fighters and put up a decent argument.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #140
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Guess who's been insulting an opponent many times and concentrating more on his mental qualities than on subject that was being debated?
You?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #141
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
You?
Want to produce some evidence of this?
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #142
UpWithEvil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ladies, ladies, please! You can BOTH marry Lennox Lewis!
UpWithEvil is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #143
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

A book about Ali, published in 1975, "Muhammad Ali - The Holy Warrior" by Don Atyeo and Felix Dennis.

It was left to an unknown fighter whose last match was before an audience of 700 for a $300 purse to shatter Ali's careful plans. Ken Norton was ranked seventh in the heavyweight hierarchy but, as one magazine noted, he seemed to have sneaked into the listings. A former marine built like an hour-glass ("He'll break in half," laughed Dundee), Norton had yet to meet even a reasonably rated heavyweight when he signed with Ali.

"Muhammad Ali, His Life and Times" by Thomas Hauser:
Then, on March 31, 1972, he entered the ring against Ken Norton in San Diego. Norton's most recent bout had been in front of seven hundred spectators for a purse of three hundred dollars. He was so lightly regarded as an opponent that Ali's promoters decided to forgo closed-circuit television and show the fight live on network TV - the first time one of his fights had been televised in that manner in more than six years. Brimming with confidence, Ali trained less than three weeks, and much of that time he was hampered by a sprained ankle.

Howard Cossell: "Losing to Norton was the end of the road, at least as far as I could see. Certainly, it was the worst moment I shared with Ali untill those awful beatings at the end of his career."

The comeback began with a rematch against Norton.
"I took a nobody and created a monster," Ali said of the man who'd defeated him and broken his jaw. "I put him on The Dating Game. I gave him glory. Now I have to punish him bad."

Wali Muhammad: "Also, Norton had a style that was troublesome for us. He was kind of awkward, which made him hard to hit. And after his first fight with Ali, he got brave. Norton was afraid of guys with a big punch. Against Earnie Shavers, George Foreman, Gerry ****ey, he was nothing. If you made Norton step back, he couldn't fight. But Ali always let him come forward. He made Norton look like a better fighter than he was."

Two months after the Coopman bout, Ali fought what was expected to be another "breather" in Landover, Maryland, against Jimmy Young. Young was a journeyman heavyweight, who'd lost to opponents like Clay Hodges, Roy William, and Randy Neumann.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #144
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I don't understand the point of that post. Have I missed something here?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #145
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
A book about Ali, published in 1975, "Muhammad Ali - The Holy Warrior" by Don Atyeo and Felix Dennis.

It was left to an unknown fighter whose last match was before an audience of 700 for a $300 purse to shatter Ali's careful plans. Ken Norton was ranked seventh in the heavyweight hierarchy but, as one magazine noted, he seemed to have sneaked into the listings. A former marine built like an hour-glass ("He'll break in half," laughed Dundee), Norton had yet to meet even a reasonably rated heavyweight when he signed with Ali.

Then, on March 31, 1972, he entered the ring against Ken Norton in San Diego. Norton's most recent bout had been in front of seven hundred spectators for a purse of three hundred dollars. He was so lightly regarded as an opponent that Ali's promoters decided to forgo closed-circuit television and show the fight live on network TV - the first time one of his fights had been televised in that manner in more than six years. Brimming with confidence, Ali trained less than three weeks, and much of that time he was hampered by a sprained ankle.

Howard Cossell: "Losing to Norton was the end of the road, at least as far as I could see. Certainly, it was the worst moment I shared with Ali untill those awful beatings at the end of his career."

"I took a nobody and created a monster," Ali said of the man who'd defeated him and broken his jaw. "I put him on The Dating Game. I gave him glory. Now I have to punish him bad."

Wali Muhammad: "Also, Norton had a style that was troublesome for us. He was kind of awkward, which made him hard to hit. And after his first fight with Ali, he got brave. Norton was afraid of guys with a big punch. Against Earnie Shavers, George Foreman, Gerry ****ey, he was nothing. If you made Norton step back, he couldn't fight. But Ali always let him come forward. He made Norton look like a better fighter than he was."

Two months after the Coopman bout, Ali fought what was expected to be another "breather" in Landover, Maryland, against Jimmy Young. Young was a journeyman heavyweight, who'd lost to opponents like Clay Hodges, Roy William, and Randy Neumann.
Ummm, ok. That proved little-nothing.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #146
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ha ha, Ronny had it a draw.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #147
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

So basically what this said was that Ali, Dundee, and some unamed magazine felt that Norton was nobody before Muhammad's first meeting with him.

Hmmmmm......I wonder how all three entities felt after the match, let alone 2 more fights later, plus maybe half a decade of Kenny tearing up the division....

Funny how a " nobody " can all of a sudden become somebody, when given a chance. Is this not what great fighters are made of?
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #148
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Hmmmmm......I wonder how all three entities felt after the match, let alone 2 more fights later, plus maybe half a decade of Kenny tearing up the division....
Not to take sides but i'd hardly say Kenny tore up the division lol.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #149
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Not to take sides but i'd hardly say Kenny tore up the division lol.
Fair enough mate,

but wouldn't you at least say that he made a substantial presence? Think about it, 3 fights with the greatest including a victory and a controversial loss. Wins over Quarry, Young, Bobick, Kirkman, Zanon, an avenged loss to Garcia. He gained the WBC world title, ( by means of elimination of course,) and probably gave a prime Larry Holmes the fight of his life.

Frankly, I think that there's a very good reason why everytime we hear the names Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, the name Norton is not far behind......
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #150
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Fair enough mate,

but wouldn't you at least say that he made a substantial presence? Think about it, 3 fights with the greatest including a victory and a controversial loss. Wins over Quarry, Young, Bobick, Kirkman, Zanon, an avenged loss to Garcia. He gained the WBC world title, ( by means of elimination of course,) and probably gave a prime Larry Holmes the fight of his life.

Frankly, I think that there's a very good reason why everytime we hear the names Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, the name Norton is not far behind......
He's not far behind because he fought every one of them hahaha. But yes, Norton was a top fighter just short of great status.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum