Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Holmes or Lewis?
Holmes, by decision 47 49.47%
Holmes, by KO 6 6.32%
Lewis, by decision 28 29.47%
Lewis, by KO 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #31
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Whichever one wins, the other will be an absolute handful for them. Of this i have no doubt whatsoever. Lewis would easily be the most dangerous and difficult customer prime Holmes ever fought, and Holmes is a touch above Holyfield and co as well. A different style to Lewis other opponents.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
How is Larry "a level above" Lennox? Seriously, though they're both amongst the top 10 heavyweights of all-time, well up it in most peoples opinion. It's a very close call regarding their fundementals: Lewis' jab is almost as good, he's arguably a better inside fighter, equally as versitile and carries more concussive power. Holmes meanwhile has better durability and maybe moves slightly better, but there ain't much in it.

Mark my words this outcome would be close.
Exactly, there's only a bee's dick in this. If Lewis hurts Holmes like others have he may well finish him, but Holmes will be boxing at 100% efficiency against such a great opponent too.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
What fight would you point me to where Holmes lands hard body shots in his peak?
He landed some good ones against LeRoy Jones, Ali, and not in his prime, but he landed hard body shots against Williams and Spinks.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #34
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
He landed some good ones against LeRoy Jones, Ali, and not in his prime, but he landed hard body shots against Williams and Spinks.
Well he added a bit of body attack late career, but if we put that Holmes against Lewis it's an easy Lewis win. Holmes at his greatest didn't attack the body barely at all, and didn't throw left hooks barely ever either. Ali was a corpse and Jones was easy - he'd almost certainly wrap the hook and body attack in cotton wool vs such a dangerous foe as Lewis.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #35
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 6,277
vCash: 1887
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
I'd say you're maybe right, but they have an equal number of detractors too.
Your sins came home to roost back there mate. I had to laugh at the irony of it all.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #36
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
Well, did you see the uppercuts Tyson and Vitali were getting hit by Lewis? I donīt think Holmes could take them long enough to not getting koed. And iīm sure he would get hit with them because i donīt buy that Lewis would fight Holmesī fight.
Yes, and they went through my mind a little after I posted that. That I forgot about those. I think Larry could take them when he needed to. I'm not saying that he could take the type of uppercut that Lennox hit Vitali with all night, but I think his chin was good enough to withstand Lewis's bombs long enough to get out of there or fire shots back.

I think Lewis would try to keep Larry on the end of his slightly longer reach and keep him at bay. But I think that would give Larry an advantage due to his faster hands and better jab.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #37
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Well he added a bit of body attack late career, but if we put that Holmes against Lewis it's an easy Lewis win. Holmes at his greatest didn't attack the body barely at all, and didn't throw left hooks barely ever either. Ali was a corpse and Jones was easy - he'd almost certainly wrap the hook and body attack in cotton wool vs such a dangerous foe as Lewis.
Larry would throw hard jabs to the solar plexus. Those can take the wind right out of you. He wouldn't throw his left hook as much as Frazier or Holyfield, but he would throw it. He used it against Leon Spinks, Ali, Cooney, and he threw his right hook against Evangelista.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #38
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,983
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Holmes' jab was slightly better, and he was probably a little faster. Overall, I feel Larry was a little better technically, more consistant, and he had the better chin. A close fight no matter who wins, but I feel Holmes could win a pretty clear decision over Lewis, if not stop him late in a 15 round fight.
the cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #39
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
What fight would you point me to where Holmes lands hard body shots in his peak?


I'll go with Lennox, but it's a close fight. Holmes had the better jab, but people are overlooking Lewis' height and size. He wouldn't simply stand there getting hit in the head with jabs all night, I think Holmes would of been dropped and maybe stopped by a big right hand about midway through, and loses a close but clear decision.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Larry would throw hard jabs to the solar plexus. Those can take the wind right out of you. He wouldn't throw his left hook as much as Frazier or Holyfield, but he would throw it. He used it against Leon Spinks, Ali, Cooney, and he threw his right hook against Evangelista.
Spinks was terrible, Ali was a punching bag, Cooney was alright but wasn't Lewis by any stretch of the imagination, and Evangelista was a bum.

When Larry was against good fighters, his left hook, body attack etc. wasn't hardly used because they weren't that good. He only used his jab, big uppercut if it was there, and right hand.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Spinks was terrible, Ali was a punching bag, Cooney was alright but wasn't Lewis by any stretch of the imagination, and Evangelista was a bum.

When Larry was against good fighters, his left hook, body attack etc. wasn't hardly used because they weren't that good. He only used his jab, big uppercut if it was there, and right hand.
He used his right hook effectively. Larry had decent body shots when he used them, and yes, he would try them on Lewis if Lewis got on the inside.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #42
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
Sure. I´m a supporter of the greatest football club in the world: TSV 1860 München (Munich). I´m original from a small village near Munich and live only for 4 years in Berlin, so i grew up with the "Lions" - actually my nick here means lion in German.
And then i have a secret love for the celtic fc since i saw the UEFA-cup final of 2003 and i´m looking really forward to the 2.14.09 when i´m going Glasgow to see the old firm.

btw. is nobody here who thinka Lewis would beat Holmes other than me?
Old firm, gunna be a great atmosphere for sure!
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #43
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in exile
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Yes, and they went through my mind a little after I posted that. That I forgot about those. I think Larry could take them when he needed to. I'm not saying that he could take the type of uppercut that Lennox hit Vitali with all night, but I think his chin was good enough to withstand Lewis's bombs long enough to get out of there or fire shots back.

I think Lewis would try to keep Larry on the end of his slightly longer reach and keep him at bay. But I think that would give Larry an advantage due to his faster hands and better jab.
Well, there are two things our views differ quite a bit. Firstly, i donīt think Holmes jab is enough to control Lewis, Lennox will change his strategy when he realises that he canīt win on the outside and Holmes jab isnīt enough to keep him there. Lewis will get to him and he will hurt him and heīs a good enough finisher to take a hurt Holmes out. Secondly, i donīt think Holmes can take many of those uppercuts, not if he has to eat them over 4-5 rounds again and again. Holmes has a shot at beating Lewis, donīt get me wrong, but i think Lewis has the bigger chances and just some assets more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
Old firm, gunna be a great atmosphere for sure!
Yeah, iīm pretty hyped for that one but itīs such a long time till then.
Loewe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South-East/Greater London.
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 1987
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

I'll take Holmes by a close UD.
TommyV is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #45
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 386
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Tough fight to call but I'd go with Lewis in this one. Larry had his toughest fights against tall fighters who could jab back at him(Witherspoon,Williams,Norton,Cooney) and Lewis was bigger and more powerful than all of them. Lewis was technically sound and very intelligent and would'nt take Holmes lightly. If Renaldo Snipes could drop Larry and hurt him badly then a bigger more complete boxer like Lewis could too. And if Lennox hurts Holmes like Snipes did then he finishes him plain and simple. For Larry to win he has to utilize his faster jab and avoid trading right hands with Lennox like he did against Witherspoon and Williams when he got hurt by them. If he does then he stands a good chance to win by decision. If he doesn't then Lennox catches him mid fight and finishes him. 50/50.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013