Lewis, by KO 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #46
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Larry Holmes -vs- Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm Broughton
Tough fight to call but I'd go with Lewis in this one. Larry had his toughest fights against tall fighters who could jab back at him(Witherspoon,Williams,Norton,Cooney) and Lewis was bigger and more powerful than all of them. Lewis was technically sound and very intelligent and would'nt take Holmes lightly. If Renaldo Snipes could drop Larry and hurt him badly then a bigger more complete boxer like Lewis could too. And if Lennox hurts Holmes like Snipes did then he finishes him plain and simple. For Larry to win he has to utilize his faster jab and avoid trading right hands with Lennox like he did against Witherspoon and Williams when he got hurt by them. If he does then he stands a good chance to win by decision. If he doesn't then Lennox catches him mid fight and finishes him. 50/50.

Pretty good analysis.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #47
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
He used his right hook effectively. Larry had decent body shots when he used them, and yes, he would try them on Lewis if Lewis got on the inside.
Holmes didn't use his body punches often and when he did it was against human punching bags. What makes you think that Lewis would go in like Frazier and fight on the inside as well getting tagged by bodyshots
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 AM   #48
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Lewis had trouble vs good jabbers. Mercer, Holyfield and Klitschko. I think Holmes jab was a bit better than the above fighters were, and he his speed and conditioning was better.

Hard fight to call. I go with Holmes via close decision.
Holmes never really liked a fighter who jabbed well either. Williams and Witherspoon took HOlmes' jab away, and even though Larry was in the latter stages of his reign, Williams and Witherspoon were the best jabbers that Holmes had ever faced. And Lennox Lewis was bigger, had a longer reach, and was more powerful than those guys.

Tough fight to call, but it would be a tough fight either way!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #49
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

One of the most dangerous right hands ever would spell trouble for someone who always had trouble with right hands. If Holmes gets tagged by the right hands Norton tagged him with, it's all over.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #50
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

I like Holmes by decision or late stoppage.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #51
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74
Holmes never really liked a fighter who jabbed well either. Williams and Witherspoon took HOlmes' jab away, and even though Larry was in the latter stages of his reign, Williams and Witherspoon were the best jabbers that Holmes had ever faced. And Lennox Lewis was bigger, had a longer reach, and was more powerful than those guys.
Great points, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #52
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Lewis is this fight but it's a close call. The main difference for me is that Lewis is the best I've seen at dictating distance. If he has a tough fighter ala Tua he can fight from the outside. If he feels he can overwhelm an opponent, ie Grant, Tyson etc, he fights on the inside. So I don't think Holmes is going to be in a situation where he can simply outbox Lewis, I don't envision that being a option, not throughout the fight at any rate. So I see it more like a Holyfield type of fight, where Lewis gets inside and does enough damage to win. But if anyone can outbox Lewis, no easy task, I might add, it's Holmes. Hard fight to call because they're both so good at what they do best.

Last edited by Vanboxingfan; 07-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #53
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Larry Holmes by 3 point decision. I think this could be a closer fight than most would expect and Lennox most certainly could put Holmes on the canvas.

If it turns into a brawl, Lennox could probably stop Holmes late or win a unanimous decision. If Lennox doesn't put pressure on Holmes, Larry out-boxes him cleanly.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #54
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I like Holmes ... much faster, better stamina, would hit hard enough to get Lennox's attention and would not get hit by the right .. don't judge by the Carl Williams fight when Holmes was old ... watch young Holmes dice up Roy Williams or the title defense against Leroy Jones ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #55
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant
I like Holmes ... much faster, better stamina, would hit hard enough to get Lennox's attention and would not get hit by the right .. don't judge by the Carl Williams fight when Holmes was old ... watch young Holmes dice up Roy Williams or the title defense against Leroy Jones ...
Fat lazy Leroy Jones and Roy Tiger Williams aren't anywhere near Lennox Lewis, in any category except Leroy Jones boobs were bigger.

Basing Holmes beating Lewis off of those fights is idiotic and downright stupid. Young Holmes barely got by Ken Norton and was dropped by the right hand of Renaldo Snipes. Lewis would have a serious shot at drilling Holmes with a right so hard it finishes him.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #56
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
I think Liverpool are the most supported team on this site.
Com'on the 'pool!!

Anyway, I actually like Lennox in this one; if he comes in his aggressive 'destroyer' mode I think he has a serious shot at stopping Holmes. Holmes had excellent recuperative powers but the thing about Lewis is that he throws power combinations and if he can land his uppercut Holmes will be in serious trouble. Lewis is a puncher in the league of Shavers and Tyson and IMO will be able to land more often. I really can't see how Holmes will stand up to that offensive over 15 rounds.

Lennox must put the pressure on though - if he's tentative or gun shy I think Larry wins.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #57
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

MM: The examples were give to show how Holmes had no problem reaching tall men. Sorry if you are fascinated by (attrarcted to?) men's chests. I prefer womens, as recently as last night as a matter of fact... To each their own ...

Please list for me the one lighting fast boxer with a killer jab, exceptional stamina, great overall skills and a tremendous chin and heart that Lewis defeated? Answer, none.

Lennox Lewis could not soildly tag Evander Holyfield in 24 rounds with his vaunted but telegraphed rights. If you think he was going to tee off on Larry Holmes like he did against slow and limited fighters like Ruddick, Golota or Grant you are wrong... A perfect example is how a limited Bruno was able to outbox Lewis for over eight rounds with a stiff jab and a decent defense till his limited stamina gave in and he folded up.

Holmes would dance circles around Lewis, firing that killer jab, mixing up stiff right hands and chop him up. Holmes had a Bernard Hopkins type hardness about him that Lewis, who I happen to like, could not touch. Holmes easy.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #58
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:

Please list for me the one lighting fast boxer with a killer jab, exceptional stamina, great overall skills and a tremendous chin and heart that Lewis defeated? Answer, none.
Haha! Are you trying to stirr the pot here?

Please list for me the one lightning fast boxer with a killer jab, exceptional stamina, great overall skills and a tremendous chin and heart that Holmes defeated? Answer, none. How many of does did Ali defeat? Answer, none. How many of those did Louis defeat? Answer, none.

To say that Holmes (or anyone, for that matter) beats Lewis easily is just plain stupid. Holmes at his peak barely got by an old, glass chinned Norton and basically struggled with every good opponent he had while declining to give well-earned rematches (Norton, Witherspoon, Weaver & Williams).
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #59
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
MM: The examples were give to show how Holmes had no problem reaching tall men. Sorry if you are fascinated by (attrarcted to?) men's chests. I prefer womens, as recently as last night as a matter of fact... To each their own ...

Lennox Lewis could not soildly tag Evander Holyfield in 24 rounds with his vaunted but telegraphed rights. If you think he was going to tee off on Larry Holmes like he did against slow and limited fighters like Ruddick, Golota or Grant you are wrong... A perfect example is how a limited Bruno was able to outbox Lewis for over eight rounds with a stiff jab and a decent defense till his limited stamina gave in and he folded up.

Holmes would dance circles around Lewis, firing that killer jab, mixing up stiff right hands and chop him up. Holmes had a Bernard Hopkins type hardness about him that Lewis, who I happen to like, could not touch. Holmes easy.
Jones and Williams were human punching bags and nothing like Lewis, that was my point.
Please list for me a big strong 6'5 fighter with a long hard jab, crushing power in his right hand, a brutal uppercut on the inside, skills, and speed that Holmes defeated.

Larry struggled badly against all of the best fighters he fought that had defense for the jab, Norton, Witherspoon, and Carl Williams when he was past his best. Near prime Holmes fought an even fight with Terrible Tim Witherspoon, Lennox was bigger, stronger, hit harder, better in almost way than Tim.
Holyfield had an ATG chin, and Lewis elected to outbox him from the outside, not turning it into a brawl. Not to mention, Holyfield didn't have the massive weakness to right hands that Holmes had...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #60
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Haha! Are you trying to stirr the pot here?

Please list for me the one lightning fast boxer with a killer jab, exceptional stamina, great overall skills and a tremendous chin and heart that Holmes defeated? Answer, none. How many of does did Ali defeat? Answer, none. How many of those did Louis defeat? Answer, none.

To say that Holmes (or anyone, for that matter) beats Lewis easily is just plain stupid. Holmes at his peak barely got by an old, glass chinned Norton and basically struggled with every good opponent he had while declining to give well-earned rematches (Norton, Witherspoon, Weaver & Williams).

I can't even think of more than one or two fighters that fit that bill anyway.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum