boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,346
vCash: 1000
Default "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Shane Mosley is a brawler, not a slick boxer.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: INGLEWOOD CA
Posts: 11,426
vCash: 740
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
Shane Mosley is a brawler, not a slick boxer.
And he beat him by atleast 8 points in the rematch.

The first fight was a very close clear win for Mosley. But if you dissect the fight, you can see DLH chose the wrong type of fight against Mosley. Instead of boxing him, he stood toe to toe, won the first half of teh fight, lost the second half of the fight.

7-5 for Mosley.
IsaL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UliUli
And he beat him by atleast 8 points in the rematch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UliUli
The first fight was a very close clear win for Mosley. But if you dissect the fight, you can see DLH chose the wrong type of fight against Mosley. Instead of boxing him, he stood toe to toe, won the first half of teh fight, lost the second half of the fight.
Agreed. De La Hoya was maybe stung by the criticism of the Trinidad fight, or thought he could overpower Mosley who was less experienced at the weight, but it was a poor game plan.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Mosley isn't exactly a "brawler"
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 289
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
Shane Mosley is a brawler, not a slick boxer.
He's a slick brawler and one of those losses is debatable. Who are you quoting anyway?
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg
Mosley isn't exactly a "brawler"
He's more brawler than boxer. He's like a "speedy slugger".
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
He's a slick brawler and one of those losses is debatable. Who are you quoting anyway?
I've heard lots of people say this about DLH.

The rematch was debatable indeed, but a close fight which the majority of the ringside media scored for Balco Mosley.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 289
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
I've heard lots of people say this about DLH.

The rematch was debatable indeed, but a close fight which the majority of the ringside media scored for Balco Mosley.
The majority of fans and Merchant saw it the other way.
Anyway, yeah, Hoya ****ed up the first one because he thought he lost the Trinidad fight because he didn't brawl. Other than this he had trouble with Whitaker as would anyone else, Hopkins was slick but didn't beat him in a slick way but by sheer violence, had the same trouble with Mayweather anyone else would have however I see this as a silly fight plan more than anything else, and its this fight that everyone keeps referencing to show he is slow and shot forgetting he was implementing Roach's fightplan which was silly. His fight against Forbes shows he is still plenty fast, his combinations are still great, and he can be conditioned properly by the right trainer.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: INGLEWOOD CA
Posts: 11,426
vCash: 740
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
I've heard lots of people say this about DLH.

The rematch was debatable indeed, but a close fight which the majority of the ringside media scored for Balco Mosley.
It's true, DLH shines against brawler, sluggers, pressure fighters.

DLH struggles against elusive fighters.
IsaL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Jack Presscot
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

DLH ran from a brawler (Trinidad) which ruined his reputation as a Mexican Warrior. He did much better against fellow Mexican Americans, than he did against slicker "brothas" and a lot of folks have heartburn with that. I was sent on a Mission From God, like the Blues Brothers to remind all of his fans of this sad fact.
Jack Presscot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
The majority of fans and Merchant saw it the other way.
Well yeah, the opinions varied, because the fight was close with a lot of close rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
Anyway, yeah, Hoya ****ed up the first one because he thought he lost the Trinidad fight because he didn't brawl. Other than this he had trouble with Whitaker as would anyone else, Hopkins was slick but didn't beat him in a slick way but by sheer violence, had the same trouble with Mayweather anyone else would have however I see this as a silly fight plan more than anything else, and its this fight that everyone keeps referencing to show he is slow and shot forgetting his was implementing Roach's fightplan which was silly.
De La Hoya had a lot of trouble with Quartey. I'm not really sure how to define Quartey's style though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
His fight against Forbes shows he is still plenty fast, his combinations are still great, and he can be conditioned properly by the right trainer.
The conditioning/fading in fights has always been on and off. But it's easier to relax when you're against someone like Forbes whom you're winning easily against than it is against guys like Mayweather and Mosley.

I think DLH usually trains hard (Sturm fight aside which despite getting tired he did throw a lot of punches), it just depends on the fight and opponent on whether or not he finishes strong or fatigues.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: INGLEWOOD CA
Posts: 11,426
vCash: 740
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
DLH ran from a brawler (Trinidad) which ruined his reputation as a Mexican Warrior. He did much better against fellow Mexican Americans, than he did against slicker "brothas" and a lot of folks have heartburn with that. I was sent on a Mission From God, like the Blues Brothers to remind all of his fans of this sad fact.
You feast on DLH's sack.
IsaL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 289
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
DLH ran from a brawler (Trinidad) which ruined his reputation as a Mexican Warrior. He did much better against fellow Mexican Americans, than he did against slicker "brothas" and a lot of folks have heartburn with that. I was sent on a Mission From God, like the Blues Brothers to remind all of his fans of this sad fact.
The first Mosley fight he failed at but he did succeed in warring and getting his reputation back. Hoya fights a mean fight in that one and overrides the Trinidad fight by miles.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 36,590
vCash: 75
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presscot
DLH ran from a brawler (Trinidad) which ruined his reputation as a Mexican Warrior. He did much better against fellow Mexican Americans, than he did against slicker "brothas" and a lot of folks have heartburn with that. I was sent on a Mission From God, like the Blues Brothers to remind all of his fans of this sad fact.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
He's more brawler than boxer. He's like a "speedy slugger".
Yeah I kinda agree, he's got his own style.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015