Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #16
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

Quartey is a boxer puncher like Trinidad and Hoya. But I think Quartey was a lot more mature in that fight. Hoya was just learning how to not steamroll his way to a knockout. Hoya was good until he thought he could finish Quartey off in the sixth after knocking him down. He learned to have patience and not bumrush an opponent for a ko just cuz you think you got him hurt. He ended up getting hurt because he was young and dumb.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "De La Hoya feasts on brawlers and only struggles with slick boxers"

I agree wholeheartily. Shane was never a boxer in the pure sense. Why people think he is on this forum is beyond me. He clearly was considered a swarmer in his lightweight days where he'd get on top of his opponent with combinations. He was alot like what Berto is now, only with a better chin.

DLH is considered better against brawlers because he beat alot of them in his early days, SMALL brawlers. He would be demolished by one his own size or bigger. And please no washed up beaten Mayorga comments. The man was finished before DLH even got in the ring with him. Nowadays Mayorga is the girl in the middle of a GBP train. Shane is next up for that freebie.
Ambition_Def is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition_Def

DLH is considered better against brawlers because he beat alot of them in his early days, SMALL brawlers. He would be demolished by one his own size or bigger. And please no washed up beaten Mayorga comments. The man was finished before DLH even got in the ring with him. Nowadays Mayorga is the girl in the middle of a GBP train. Shane is next up for that freebie.
Like Tito? Arguably the best "brawler" of our generation who Oscar fought in his prime and schooled for the first 10 rounds? Or did you mean he would be slaughtered by any brawler his own size AFTER 10 rounds??? You're unbelievable sometimes. What about Vargas? And don't even give me the shit about him being shot because the Vargas that entered that ring that night was just as strong, conditioned, quick and ferocious as any....maybe due to the steroids.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Paulie Walnuts
Eastside Capo

It was me who TS quoted. It's true. Maybe Mosley isn't a pure boxer per-se but what the other posters said was right, his style would be best described as a hybrid.
Paulie Walnuts is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I agree wholeheartily. Shane was never a boxer in the pure sense. Why people think he is on this forum is beyond me. He clearly was considered a swarmer in his lightweight days where he'd get on top of his opponent with combinations. He was alot like what Berto is now, only with a better chin.

After Mosley is done beating up Mayorga, then maybe they can feed Mayorga to Winky. Then finally, Hopkins goes back to his roots of beating up blown-up welterweights, and they feed Mayorga to Hopkins.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg
Like Tito? Arguably the best "brawler" of our generation who Oscar fought in his prime and schooled for the first 10 rounds? Or did you mean he would be slaughtered by any brawler his own size AFTER 10 rounds??? You're unbelievable sometimes. What about Vargas? And don't even give me the shit about him being shot because the Vargas that entered that ring that night was just as strong, conditioned, quick and ferocious as any....maybe due to the steroids.
Trinidad was a stalker not a brawler. His attack was very controlled. He knew how to wait for his time and even when he had a man in the corner you can see him patiently taking the guy apart. Hoya is closer to a guy like Tito than most other boxers except Hoya scores while he stalks whereas Tito just stalks. Hoya also gets excited when he gets a guy hurt and looses a bit of control.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
Trinidad was a stalker not a brawler. His attack was very controlled. He knew how to wait for his time and even when he had a man in the corner you can see him patiently taking the guy apart. Hoya is closer to a guy like Tito than most other boxers except Hoya scores while he stalks whereas Tito just stalks. Hoya also gets excited when he gets a guy hurt and looses a bit of control.
Regardless. What he posted is still absolutely bullshit. I could give a shit about the difference betweeen brawlers, stalkers, "boxer-punchers" whatever else.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
Quartey is a boxer puncher like Trinidad and Hoya. But I think Quartey was a lot more mature in that fight. Hoya was just learning how to not steamroll his way to a knockout. Hoya was good until he thought he could finish Quartey off in the sixth after knocking him down. He learned to have patience and not bumrush an opponent for a ko just cuz you think you got him hurt. He ended up getting hurt because he was young and dumb.
I don't agree.

The fight was close going into the 6th with Quartey.

De La Hoya also had been the full 12 in fights with guys like Molina and Gonzalez, who both took bombs from DLH. DLH also went 12 with Whitaker, and Camacho who took a lot of good shots (and ran like Carl Lewis and held like Ruiz). DLH most likely already knew you couldn't take everyone out.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Regardless. What he posted is still absolutely bullshit. I could give a shit about the difference betweeen brawlers, stalkers, "boxer-punchers" whatever else.
Because you have about as much knowledge as my nephew 15 years your junior, you dumb twat.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Because you have about as much knowledge as my nephew 15 years your junior, you dumb twat.
Ok then. Educate me. What "Brawlers" from WW and Lt Middle would DEMOLISH Oscar in the past 20 years to present??????
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
Ambition_Def
**** the people.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ok then. Educate me. What "Brawlers" from WW and Lt Middle would DEMOLISH Oscar in the past 20 years to present??????
Margarito would finish him inside of 10 rounds. Little Shane pushed that prancer around the ring all night and had him gasping for air. Imagine what a guy his own size would do.

And yea he beat Vargas, who was never considered a brawler. Vargas always fought at a measured pace. Was he stronger than DLH? Probably. But he never really jumped on DLH long enough to beat him. Although he did knock the taste out of his mouth in one round. I enjoyed that.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #27
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Margarito would finish him inside of 10 rounds. Little Shane pushed that prancer around the ring all night and had him gasping for air. Imagine what a guy his own size would do.

And yea he beat Vargas, who was never considered a brawler. Vargas always fought at a measured pace. Was he stronger than DLH? Probably. But he never really jumped on DLH long enough to beat him. Although he did knock the taste out of his mouth in one round. I enjoyed that.

Relentless is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #28
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Nowadays, Margarito probably beats De La Hoya.

The DLH of 8-10 years ago? I don't see Tony beating him.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #29
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:

Margarito would finish Delahoya inside 10 rounds??
You've gone too far with this one!

Not that it matters, but out of curiosity are you referring to a PRIME Oscar?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #30
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

I do think Oscar style is suited to guys who come to him though. If that's what this thread's about. He is a good counterpuncher that hits very hard and if he catches you coming in on him the power of your weight and a well placed left hook leaves another ko on his resume.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum