Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Who Beats Langford At 160?

Its hard knowing where to place Sam Langford he fought all shapes and sizes,and weights,possessing the shoulders and reach of a heavyweight and the height of a welterweight ,taking him at middle weight who would you make favourite to beat him Monzon,Hagler,Robinson,Greb?Opinions please.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Who Beats Langford At 160?

What a great question.

I'm not sure anyone could beat him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Good question.

The sub 160 lb Langford beat Joe Jeanette and fought Jack Johnson.

Although Johnson beat him he beleived that Langford was the best he ever fought and was suficiently impressed by the 160 lb version that he did not wish to fight the 185 lb version.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Good question.

The sub 160 lb Langford beat Joe Jeanette and fought Jack Johnson.

Although Johnson beat him he beleived that Langford was the best he ever fought and was suficiently impressed by the 160 lb version that he did not wish to fight the 185 lb version.
Denzil Batchelor wrote a book on Johnson ,in it he quotes Jack as saying that Mcvey was his toughest opponent ,Batchelor expressed doubt about this putting forward the argument that jack was excusing himself for avoiding a rematch against the more matured physically stronger Langford ,though it s true to say Johnson gave Langford quite a going over he had a substantial weight advantage ,plus there would have been no question of taking it easy as Johnson and jeanette did on several occassions putting on glorified sparring sessions,as Johnson and Langford hated one another Jack knew he would have to be in top shape to beat Sam,and the financial rewards didnt really justify the risk,when he could get well paid for turning up in so so shape and outpointing some "white hope".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

After Jeffries Johnson apparently expressed a sum of money that Langford would need to find before a fight could be made...of course, how much is in that is impossible to say...it's Johnson.

I'd pick Langford to beat Dick Tiger and Bob Fitzimmons for sure...also i'd pick him to beat Greb I think.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Some say Stanley Ketchel beat him, some say it was a draw and others see it the other way but they all agree the fight was close
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Some say Stanley Ketchel beat him, some say it was a draw and others see it the other way but they all agree the fight was close
Some also say it was a barney with either a pre arranged take it easy plan or Langford fighting under wraps to get a title chance later through not showing his true ability,I think its strange that two such lethal punchers fought a decision fight myself.I,d like to have the real info on this "fight".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Some also say it was a barney with either a pre arranged take it easy plan or Langford fighting under wraps to get a title chance later through not showing his true ability,I think its strange that two such lethal punchers fought a decision fight myself.I,d like to have the real info on this "fight".
When Langford heard news of Ketchel's death he said-

"Poor Stan. He went to his grave thinking he could beat ole Sam".

I suspect that they went easy on one another to build up interst in a real fight scheduled for the following summer. A jealous farm hand however had other ideas.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

I also often read Ketchel should have got the decision. IMO in a rematch he would have KOŽd Langford, so my pick is Stanley...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Denzil Batchelor wrote a book on Johnson ,in it he quotes Jack as saying that Mcvey was his toughest opponent
Johnson did name Langford as his best oponent in a public interview after he retired. ,Batchelor expressed doubt about this putting forward the argument that jack was excusing himself for avoiding a rematch against the more matured physically stronger Langford

He could of course have been telling the crowd what he thought they wanted to hear.

Quote:
,though it s true to say Johnson gave Langford quite a going over he had a substantial weight advantage ,plus there would have been no question of taking it easy as Johnson and jeanette did on several occassions putting on glorified sparring sessions,as Johnson and Langford hated one another
Johnson threatened Langford with a revolver on one ocasion when Langford ofered to fight him then and there.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
When Langford heard news of Ketchel's death he said-

"Poor Stan. He went to his grave thinking he could beat ole Sam".

I suspect that they went easy on one another to build up interst in a real fight scheduled for the following summer. A jealous farm hand however had other ideas.
Ive no evidence but I tend to beleive Langford may have been "fighting "with an eye on a potential title fight at a later date,
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

Johnson did name Langford as his best oponent in a public interview after he retired. ,Batchelor expressed doubt about this putting forward the argument that jack was excusing himself for avoiding a rematch against the more matured physically stronger Langford

He could of course have been telling the crowd what he thought they wanted to hear.

Johnson threatened Langford with a revolver on one ocasion when Langford ofered to fight him then and there.
Yes I read an article in the Ring ,years ago,some writer stumbled across Johnson spieling in a flea circus,he interviewed him and said ,though he admired Jack as a fighter he couldnt take to him as a man,he found himstrutting and inclined to blow his own trumpet ,he also said you couldnt beleive a word he said,as he changed it to suit his present company as you implied,its a shame such a fighter and he must have been a brave man to to carry on as he did,even giving a lecture at aKKK meeting ,should end up in such lowly circumstances,reduced to peddling half truths to curious gawkers,I liked the comment one of the interns is supposed to have said on his death in hospital from an auto crash ,the doctor said his injuries and shock had killed Jack,the intern said "injuries yeah,I can beleive that but shock ,no way!you couldnt shock that cat!"
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
its a shame such a fighter should end up in such lowly circumstances,reduced to peddling half truths to curious gawkers,
Having said that Johnson had a better lifestyle later in life than a lot of great champions. As you say he had to virtualy exhibit himself but he managed to bring in enough money to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle from that and his patents.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

< This guy would have taken him on pts.
robert ungurean is online now  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Hagler, Greb, Robinson, Hopkins, Monzon etc could beat him.

Langford was an immense physical specimen. The sort of strength, power and chin that was unstoppable. However he was rough round the edges. Greb matches him at what he does best and Monzon, Hagler, Robinson and Monzon are the more polished fighters.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum