Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jeffries v Dempsey

The California Grizzly Bear,v The Manassa Mauler,who takes it?
mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jeffries v Dempsey

I don't like to think about it. What's the distance?

Probably Dempsey just inflicts to much damage early to lose late. I'll pick Dempsey by decision over 12...and 15...after that....
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Dempsey KO - it just depends what the rules for a KO are here
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Hard one to call because there is little useful or watchable footage on Jeffries.. a lot depends on how he deals with the early Dempsey onslaught. One thing that goes in his favor is that his wrestling/bareknuckle style background would probably lead to him tying Dempsey up when he they are in close, instead of standing there and taking punishment like for instance Willard and Firpo did.

However, he did seem to get tagged an awful lot by smaller and old fighters; he didn't go down, but taking punches from a peak, combinations throwing Dempsey would be a different story. I wouldn't make a bet on it either way, but if he survives the first 5 rounds without too much damage, his superior stamina, strength and experience in wars might see him through to a late, 18th or so round TKO. If it goes over 12 or 15 rounds, i doubt Jeffries wins.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I only saw flashes of Jeffries vs Johnson and Jeffries was 36 and had just lost 100lbs without a tune up and was off for 6 yrs.. I can imagine that Jeffries was a bull of a man and would have done much better had he been 6 yrs younger and active. However to me Dempsey was the 1st modern Heavyweight and the 1st million dollar gate,Dempsey was peoccupied as a major star and he was not as active as he could have been as Champion but to his defense but he did has speed and power and grit and killer instinct, Jeffries had strength and Stamina. I think Dempsey was the better of the 2 based on what film I have seen. I think a lot of Dempsey, top 5, remember he did not have an example before him like a Joe Louis who defended often and he was extremly popular but his times were" HARD TIMES" and the movie starring Charles Broson reminded me of Dempsey's early years. I read a book many years ago written by Jack and it was autographed, I lent it to someone and that was the end of it. The book impressed upon me the era and how tough and determined Jack was to become champion. He used to soak his hands and face in Brine from the time he was 8 yrs old. He already had a dream to become Heavyweight Champ.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Dempsey said Jeffries would have beaten him for what its worth.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
pugilist_boyd
BUSTED UP PUG
ESB Full Member

dempsey said alot being very modest i think it would be a blood bath but give the edge to dempsey after he tires he would use his underrated boxing skills to cut the brave grizzly to pieces but i keep wonderin ----very close fight these fellows are in my top 5 wich flip flops every day between the same 5
pugilist_boyd is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Dempsey said Jeffries would have beaten him for what its worth.
He also said he'd never have been able to beat Johnson. I beat you don't buy that one!
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

You can put your house on it!
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
He also said he'd never have been able to beat Johnson. I beat you don't buy that one!
Which quote can I use? Jeffries said the fight would have been different if he was in his prime. He also said he was poisoned when he lost and could not understand why he was DOA after round five. Fighters sometimes say things to get the press of their backs or to avoid re-matches. That has not changed in 150 years; I doubt it will change in your lifetime.

Regarding the subject material, Dempsey's quote was if we meet in our primes, I'd get my chin knocked off.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Jeffries: UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Which quote can I use? Jeffries said the fight would have been different if he was in his prime. He also said he was poisoned when he lost and could not understand why he was DOA after round five. Fighters sometimes say things to get the press of their backs or to avoid re-matches. That has not changed in 150 years; I doubt it will change in your lifetime.

Regarding the subject material, Dempsey's quote was if we meet in our primes, I'd get my chin knocked off.
Dempsey was a big fan of Jeffries,and Jeffries of Dempsey,and Louis ,he was less enthralled with Tunney feeling that Corbett and Fitz would beat him.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum