Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Clay-Jones

What's your scorecard for this fight? I watched it on ESPN Classic today and it was the first time I actually scored the fight and I had it 6-4 Clay. But there were several rounds which were about dead even and could of gone either way..

I always hear people say things like "Jones deserved the W" or "Jones was robbed." It was a good fight that could of gone either way and probably should of been a draw.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Clay-Jones

Bump
Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

I havent watched it in quite a while but I remember having a similar score & thinking `what was all the fuss about ?`it was a decent competitive fight, but robbery ?.... No.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Whenever an ATG has a tough or close fight early in their career, it tends to evolve from tough to tougher than it should have been to controversial to a robbery. Eventually it get used as proof that they're not all that great afterall. That's my experience with fans, at least.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
What's your scorecard for this fight? I watched it on ESPN Classic today and it was the first time I actually scored the fight and I had it 6-4 Clay. But there were several rounds which were about dead even and could of gone either way..

I always hear people say things like "Jones deserved the W" or "Jones was robbed." It was a good fight that could of gone either way and probably should of been a draw.
I was ringside for this fight in the old Garden, Mm. Had Jones earnin' a narrow nod. Fundamentals over flurries. Jones consistantly beat Clay (who he was at that time) to the punch with straight-as-string lead rights, a piston jab and foot pressure. Workman-like, at best, but affective.

Kinda reminded me of Maxim's paint job on Patterson, but the judges had it right that night, over the cries for the house fighter.

Jones was s'posed ta be a piece-a-cake, just one more W in Clay's march to the crown. Journeyman or not, Jones didn't rollover; and it wouldn't have been a travesty if he got the decision.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #6
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

How can anyone say a case can't be made for Jones not winning this fight? He forced the action, landed the more significant blows and generally gave Clay kittens. I had Clay 6-4 but it was a close, evenly-fought contest.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher
I havent watched it in quite a while but I remember having a similar score & thinking `what was all the fuss about ?`it was a decent competitive fight, but robbery ?.... No.
This was my reaction too. I've only seen it once and couldn't see how Jones should have won a majority of the rounds. But it was a tough fight, and if Jones had been given the decision it would have been far from the strangest thing to have happened in boxing.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
How can anyone say a case can't be made for Jones not winning this fight? He forced the action, landed the more significant blows and generally gave Clay kittens. I had Clay 6-4 but it was a close, evenly-fought contest.
A case can definently be made. But like you said it was a close, evenly fought match that could of gone either way, not a robbery like some claim.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
A case can definently be made. But like you said it was a close, evenly fought match that could of gone either way, not a robbery like some claim.

No robbery. Clay deserved the nod for me. Just.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

6-4 Clay aswell. A very competitive fight fight. Jones was a tough guy though, I noticed he has wins over Bobo Olson, Foster, Rademacher and Folley.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

I scored this one with great interest and had it 6-4 for Clay. However, if you like substance over sizzle, I could see a 5-5 draw here. Jones did not get a re-match.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jones was competitive and put up a good fight, but quite frankly I don't understand all the controversy. Clay clearly won. He was far too busy for Jones and landed way more punches. The crowd was just soured towards him because Clay talked too much trash, saying how he was going to easily knock Jones out. So there was a backlash when it turned out to be a tough fight. But nevertheless Clay deserved it.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
The crowd was just soured towards him because Clay talked too much trash, saying how he was going to easily knock Jones out.
Yeah, I noticed that every time Jones landed on Clay the crowd erupted, while Clay could land the same punch and nothing. Watching the fight with the sound off would probably change my scorecard.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
Jones was competitive and put up a good fight, but quite frankly I don't understand all the controversy. Clay clearly won. He was far too busy for Jones and landed way more punches. The crowd was just soured towards him because Clay talked too much trash, saying how he was going to easily knock Jones out. So there was a backlash when it turned out to be a tough fight. But nevertheless Clay deserved it.
Well, i think it comes, again, down to the question if you like quantity over quality. While Clay landed some good shots i thought Jones landed the better ones. Clay landed more though. Close fight in which Clay got the nod, thatīs okay with me but i the other way round would also have been okay imo.
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #15
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Jones should have gotten a rematch. He began to slump on the rankings shortly after the fight, but I still would have liked it to be made.
Bokaj is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum