Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default 70's Superfights - What Was The Greatest Win...

Between these three fights, and why?

Foreman's two round demolition of Frazier.

Frazier's 15 round UD over a undefeated Ali.

Ali vs. Foreman in Zaire.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 70's Superfights - What Was The Greatest Win...

Frazier UD Ali.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Hitman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Frazier UD Ali.
Agreed.
Hitman is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

1. Frazier UD15 Ali
2. Ali KO8 Foreman
3. Foreman KO2 Frazier
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
1. Frazier UD15 Ali
2. Ali KO8 Foreman
3. Foreman KO2 Frazier
And why do you order them this way?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:

Ali v Foreman for these reasons ---- Some had said Frazier had looked sloppy since the 71 Ali fight & he certainly did look a bit fat when GF put him down 6 times in 2 rds, George was ready & Joe overlooked him IMO.
---- Frazier was at his peak vs an Ali who only had 2 tune up fights in 3 yrs 7 months out of the ring & it was still a very close fight.
---- Ali was 32 & clearly not in his prime where as GF had just demolished & KOd the 2 guys who had split fights & went the distance in 4 separate fights with Ali.

Also, Ali was the oldest of the 3 with Foreman being the youngest, that must count in Ali`s favour too.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Muchmoore

vCash:

Ali was the best fighter that was defeated here, so Frazier UD Ali.

Followed by Ali beating Foreman and Foreman beating Frazier.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

I'd go with Ali-Foreman, for mostly similar reason that Bill Butcher did. Add on the sheer unexpectedness an the upset of Ali's win and you have something really special.

Ali-Frazier I comes next, although the two are very close together in terms of greatness. Frazier was at his ultimate peak that night, and the fight is one of the all time great examples of a fighter breaking another down with sheer determination and punishment. Greatest performance of Frazier's life, and it took almost everything he had to give in order to do it.

Foreman's demolition of Frazier, while awesome, comes in third.

Question: where is the Thrilla in Manila? Did that get forgotten about?
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Foreman's demolition of Frazier was the greatest win. He was a 3-1 underdog and beat Frazier in a way no ATG close to his prime have ever been beaten before.

Ali-Foreman comes in second for more or less the same reasons. It wasn't such an demolition as Foreman's win over Frazier, but in some ways it was an even more impressive victory. It's really, really close between these two.

FOTC was the greatest fight of these three, but not the greatest win IMO. It was not really an upset and Ali was a bit removed from his peak. He also fought the wrong fight, probably in part because he wasn't sure of just how much the exile had taken out of him.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
And why do you order them this way?
Frazier against Ali was called fight of the century, two unbeaten hw champs fighting each other. Something that never has been nor will be the case. And it not only lived up to the expectations but exceled it. Frazier went after Ali like he wanted to kill him while Ali put up some resistance but in the end had to surrender to Frazier´s relentless attack. Additionally the media hype, the totally different personas and their hatred for each other made it to an fight with an intensity ver few fights ever had. It just had all you want of a fight.
And well then, out of the three these two were the two best fighters going for it.

The unbeatable monster Foreman against former champ and people´s champ Ali who nobody gave a big chance. Despite nobody gave him a chance Ali beat Foreman even before they entered the ring - he just had to execute it. He totally got into Foreman´s head and set him on the wrong track. Nobody thought the fight would went like it went but Ali pulled it out against all odds. Great fight and you have to bow down before Ali for this accomplishment.
Additionally, the number one of these three was fightign the number three. Obvious choice for the second spot.

Well, Foreman vs. Frazier was a an upset but it was one you could have seen coming. Frazier wan´t the same after he beat Ali. He was not as motivated and not as trained. There had just the right fighter to come along to take the crwon of him and he came in the form of Foreman. but this fight lacks the rivalry between Frazier and Ali or Ali and Foreman.
Here are fighting the number 2 against the number 3 of the three greatest hws of the 70s. The number one misses in that one.
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Well, Foreman vs. Frazier was a an upset but it was one you could have seen coming. Frazier wan´t the same after he beat Ali. He was not as motivated and not as trained. There had just the right fighter to come along to take the crwon of him and he came in the form of Foreman. but this fight lacks the rivalry between Frazier and Ali or Ali and Foreman.
Here are fighting the number 2 against the number 3 of the three greatest hws of the 70s. The number one misses in that one.
How could you see it coming? Nobody saw it coming.

Joe only had two fights since and won then both short order. Frazier and his infighting ability had not declined in intensity and had 4 rounds to prove it with Ron Stander. No sings of slowing whatsoever.

In fact, Joe preferred to fight George for less money than to have the rematch with Ali. Joe took $850,000 to face George to the $3.2 guaranteed mil for Ali so it must have been his preference to face Foreman. Otherwise, how would you explain it?

For me it was Foreman-Frazier easy considering Foreman's status as a contender and his manhandling of the unbeaten champion.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
How could you see it coming? Nobody saw it coming.

Joe only had two fights since and won then both short order. Frazier and his infighting ability had not declined in intensity and had 4 rounds to prove it with Ron Stander. No sings of slowing whatsoever.

In fact, Joe preferred to fight George for less money than to have the rematch with Ali. Joe took $850,000 to face George to the $3.2 guaranteed mil for Ali so it must have been his preference to face Foreman. Otherwise, how would you explain it?

For me it was Foreman-Frazier easy considering Foreman's status as a contender and his manhandling of the unbeaten champion.
Well, i didnīt see it coming because i wasnīt even born then. But when i look back now at the career of both i think you could have seen it coming.
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

1. Ali vs Foreman. Zaire
2. Frazier vs Ali. FOTC
3. Foreman vs Frazier I
Addie is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Well, i didnīt see it coming because i wasnīt even born then. But when i look back now at the career of both i think you could have seen it coming.
That's a beautiful little thing called hindsight. I'm not too fond of that. Fact is few would have thought Foreman would win, and absolutely not in the manner he did.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
BlackWater
G.Wash.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2092

Frazier UD Ali.

My favorite at least.
BlackWater is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum