Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,295
vCash: 1000
Default IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

1)Willie Pep 126
2)Henry Armstrong 130
3)Ray Robinson 147
4)Greb 160
5)Sam Langford 170
6 Rocky Marciano 190
7) Lennox Lewis 250

WOULD THESE GUYS Dominate if placed in any era @ these weights, thoughts
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
chino2dapiapimp
WBC Fecarbox champ
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: FRance
Posts: 868
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Lennox lewis would dominate in any era. He size and skill alone is something that has never been combined. in the early days with that grab and punch stuff, he would do good due to his size (jack johnsons era).

ROcky Marciano is tough enough to be in Jack johnsons era and any other except from the 70's on. HE would be competive but too small for the likes of george Foreman and so on.

Sam langford would be good enought to compete in any era but modern boxing from the 80's on (in my opinion) uses alot more hit and not get hit stratagy that would make sam stalk alot more. I think Roy and even Griffen at LHW would out lateral move Sam to Decision wins.


Dont know much on Greb to speak on him

RObinson would be able to compete at any era at 147 but his toughest test would be in the modern age not due to stamina or anything like that but the lateral or "slick" boxers that tend to box and "Run" compared to his days when guys would get tomates thrown at them for attepting to do that for 15 rounds.
Henry Armstrong would do good at any era but I think the modern era would be his toughest test. I say this cuz Clinching gets frowned on and penalized if done too much. I think the "in clinch fighting" was a more common thing of the past not modern boxing.

Hands down willie pep would be good and P4P material in any era.

Notible personal mentions... Julio Cesar Chavez, Sugar Ray LEonard and Erik Morales
chino2dapiapimp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,428
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino2dapiapimp
Lennox lewis would dominate in any era.
He didn't even dominate in his OWN era, so frankly I can't see the validity in the claim that he would have dominated in ANY era. During the course of his career, Lewis was badly upset by second raters in Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. He also decisioned a declining Mercer to what arguably should have been a draw. Additionally, he never met two top rated challengers later in his career, namely Wlad Klitschko and Chris Byrd. Let me clearify that I believe Lewis to be the best of his era, but by no means did he dominate, and truthfully I can't give him the benefit of the doubt that he would necessarily have dominated in all periods of the sport..
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino2dapiapimp
ROcky Marciano is tough enough to be in Jack johnsons era and any other except from the 70's on. HE would be competive but too small for the likes of george Foreman and so on.
The question was P4P. Marciano would be fighting at CW in this era.

Quote:
Henry Armstrong would do good at any era but I think the modern era would be his toughest test. I say this cuz Clinching gets frowned on and penalized if done too much. I think the "in clinch fighting" was a more common thing of the past not modern boxing.
Armstrong very rarely clinched, he was a swarmer who was constantly throwing punches, but very rarely clinching. I suggest watching more of him.

Quote:
Notible personal mentions... Erik Morales
Morales wasn't a skilled enough boxer to beat most of the best from 122-126. Gomez, Fenech, Nelson, Sanchez, Pep, Saddler, Saldivar, etc would've all beaten him. Quite a few more I'm missing probably.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,295
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

What I trying to say is lets keep them in that weight class so when I speak of Lennox Lewis, although there may be men that weighed 185 to 230 lbs that could beat him such as Louis,Marciano,Ali etc...who in the big boy class of 230-250 could beat him going back to Jess Willard,Primo Carnera and Buddy Baer up to the Vlad Klitschko's and Valuev's...we can call it Super but the only one that was super so far in the 230-to 250 lb class has been Lennox.....do you get my drift....Marciano weighed 188 to 191, frazier 204 to 210...Ali 215....Louis 210....I left out Duran but could he have been beaten or dominated by anyone @135...But I am hard pressed to find anyone in the 230-250 weight class who Lewis could not beat but in the 185-220 there may be many that he could not beat
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
He didn't even dominate in his OWN era, so frankly I can't see the validity in the claim that he would have dominated in ANY era. During the course of his career, Lewis was badly upset by second raters in Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. He also decisioned a declining Mercer to what arguably should have been a draw. Additionally, he never met two top rated challengers later in his career, namely Wlad Klitschko and Chris Byrd. Let me clearify that I believe Lewis to be the best of his era, but by no means did he dominate, and truthfully I can't give him the benefit of the doubt that he would necessarily have dominated in all periods of the sport..
true. if you reckon that lewis would dominate any era, you have got to say that tyson would. in his four years at the top, he came nowhere near to getting beat. i know that he only beat good fighters at best but this opposition was as good as anything lewis foughts PLEASE dont bring up the Holyfield fights. he was well past it when he fought lewis

even when tyson was past his peak and not training right (june 1988 and onwards), he was still much more consistant than lewis. apart from the douglas fight, tyson was still looked awesome in beating bruno, williams, tillman, steward and ruddock.
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
He didn't even dominate in his OWN era, so frankly I can't see the validity in the claim that he would have dominated in ANY era. During the course of his career, Lewis was badly upset by second raters in Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman. He also decisioned a declining Mercer to what arguably should have been a draw. Additionally, he never met two top rated challengers later in his career, namely Wlad Klitschko and Chris Byrd. Let me clearify that I believe Lewis to be the best of his era, but by no means did he dominate, and truthfully I can't give him the benefit of the doubt that he would necessarily have dominated in all periods of the sport..
While that may be a bit harsh, your right. People over rate Lewis simply because he is a skilled giant, he did have weaknesses that would be exploited in many eras just like his own...

BTW, I have Lewis around 5th all time. But he wouldn't dominate every era. The only era he would probably completely dominate are the 30s, 40s Joe Louis era if he wasn't there although he could be upset by a Schmeling
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
.who in the big boy class of 230-250 could beat him going back to Jess Willard,Primo Carnera and Buddy Baer up to the Vlad Klitschko's and Valuev's...we can call it Super but the only one that was super so far in the 230-to 250 lb class has been Lennox.....do you get my drift....
Ok, I get what you mean. From that weight range Lewis would have the be the favorite over anyone but Ibeabuchi would be a live underdog against him. Bowe could also give him fits but Bowes weakness against jabbers would kill him here. Other than that no one really comes close to beating him off the top of my head
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in exile
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
true. if you reckon that lewis would dominate any era, you have got to say that tyson would. in his four years at the top, he came nowhere near to getting beat. i know that he only beat good fighters at best but this opposition was as good as anything lewis foughts PLEASE dont bring up the Holyfield fights. he was well past it when he fought lewis

even when tyson was past his peak and not training right (june 1988 and onwards), he was still much more consistant than lewis. apart from the douglas fight, tyson was still looked awesome in beating bruno, williams, tillman, steward and ruddock.
Sorry but no. If you want discuss a matter like that you have to take the whole career into account and not just a few years, so yes his fights against Holyfield and Lewis count.
Loewe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in exile
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
While that may be a bit harsh, your right. People over rate Lewis simply because he is a skilled giant, he did have weaknesses that would be exploited in many eras just like his own...

BTW, I have Lewis around 5th all time. But he wouldn't dominate every era. The only era he would probably completely dominate are the 30s, 40s Joe Louis era if he wasn't there although he could be upset by a Schmeling
I agree with you on the first part but i doubt Lewis would dominate the 30s and 40s with guys like Louis, Schmeling and Walcott around. He would be a force and defintly become champ one time or another but he wouldn´t dominate.
Loewe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewe
I agree with you on the first part but i doubt Lewis would dominate the 30s and 40s with guys like Louis, Schmeling and Walcott around. He would be a force and defintly become champ one time or another but he wouldn´t dominate.
I meant he could dominate the era if Louis wasn't there and he was in his place. I mentioned Lewis would probably get upset by Schmeling or possibly even someone else. I don't see anyone that Louis fought in his title reign beating Lewis until the end of his reign when Jersey Joe came around.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Pep's arguably the most skilled fighter in boxing history, he could have dominated 126lbs in any era. Armstrong was the best forward fighter in boxing history, his speed, power, stamina, pressure, relentlessness, chin, and his own skill would mean he hangs in with (if not beats) anyone his size from any era. Robinson may be the best combination puncher of all-time, his speed with power ratio may be unmatched in boxing history, he has a granite chin, outstanding offensive skills, solid defensive skills, and great stamina and will. He could compete and possibly dominate (or at least be the very best of) in any era of welterweights.

Also, I'll throw in Duran. I feel he comes out on top in any era at 135lbs. Quite possibly the most complete fighter I've ever seen when he was at his best.
the cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

WILLIE PEP & RAY ROBINSON 100%

Everyone else has ????? beside their name IMO.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
chino2dapiapimp
WBC Fecarbox champ
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: FRance
Posts: 868
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
The question was P4P. Marciano would be fighting at CW in this era.

well assuming your right and he fights at CW rather than Heavy weight than that changes things

Armstrong very rarely clinched, he was a swarmer who was constantly throwing punches, but very rarely clinching. I suggest watching more of him.

Ok i will
Morales wasn't a skilled enough boxer to beat most of the best from 122-126. Gomez, Fenech, Nelson, Sanchez, Pep, Saddler, Saldivar, etc would've all beaten him. Quite a few more I'm missing probably.
Morales was skilled and a bit inconsistant but for you to tell me he gets beat by all the guys you mentioned so easily without of doubt is dumb.
chino2dapiapimp is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: IN any ERA would these guys DOMINATE LB4LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino2dapiapimp
Morales was skilled and a bit inconsistant but for you to tell me he gets beat by all the guys you mentioned so easily without of doubt is dumb.
When did I mention how easily they'd have beaten him?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013