Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Leonard says Hearns was his biggest rival AND toughest opponent

Sugar Ray Leonard has said that Hearns was a bigger rival to him than Duran or Hagler as he & Tommy were both 147 lbers & seeking domination in that particular weight class where as they had to step up to Hagler`s weight to challenge him & Duran had to do likewise vs them.

Leonard also says that his toughest fight was vs Hearns in 1981, even tougher than Hagler & Duran in montreal.
Ray feels he fought with too much emotion vs Duran & never fought his own fight & vs Hagler he had nothing to lose but everything to gain.
Ray says the fight with Hearns was the ultimate because he did try & fight his own fight & it was for the undisputed best 147 lber on the planet & both were young, hungry & 1 fight away from being boxings no1 superstar.

As for the fight itself, Leonard admitted his legs felt like jelly & he had to dig down further than he ever thought possible to overcome Hearns.

Anyone suprised ? Im not really, he could have picked any one of those guys as his toughest & it would be believable.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Leonard says Hearns was his biggest rival AND toughest opponent

Wouldn't doubt it considering Hearn's even in losing basically ended Leonard's career in any consistent way shape or form.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not surprised at all. I don't think too many welterweights ever beat Tommy that night. It took everything Leonard had to beat Hearns that night. There were several shifts in momentum and several shifts in strategy. Great, great fight. Leonard pretty much gives Hearns the second fight.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
SorceryatCaesar
Leonard-Hagler author
ESB Jr Member

Hearns weighed in at 145, which cost him in the end. NOt sure why, but they left him in the steam room too long. He was completely dehydrated, and after 12 rounds his legs were gone. If Hearns had weighed in at 147 he quite possibly has the stamina to go 15 and hold his lead.
SorceryatCaesar is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
pryorgatti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He also said the Benitez fight was the most difficult
pryorgatti is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorceryatCaesar
Hearns weighed in at 145, which cost him in the end. NOt sure why, but they left him in the steam room too long. He was completely dehydrated, and after 12 rounds his legs were gone. If Hearns had weighed in at 147 he quite possibly has the stamina to go 15 and hold his lead.
I have evidence from Hearns himself which is totally the opposite of what you said above. He said he was fine, he never struggled with the weight, and he wasn't tired down the stretch. I'm unsure if he was badly weight drained. It's confusing as the vast majority of people think so, but not when it comes from the horses mouth.

If you watch the start of the 14th round Hearns actually moves laterally, has a spring about his step, then only when Leonard catches him along the ropes does his legs give way. Leonard's punches caused Hearns' stamina to evaporate rather than weight problems IMO after watching the fight. Hearns was doing well up until the 13th round, and guess what happened during that round, Leonard hurt him. As I said earlier during the start of the 14th round Hearns was not fighting flat-footed up until being caught along the ropes when Leonard hit him, raised his hands in the air, then went after him. He wasn't quite firing on all cylinders as he was 3-4 rounds previously as the 13th round assualt took a lot out of him.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

BORKED

Watch the start of the 14th round. Hearns IMO doesn't show any signs of fatigue until Leonard catches him along the ropes. Infact he does remarkably well considering he was furiously assualted during the previous round. He's on his toes constantly moving, firing out jabs, and dictating the pace of the fight. Take into consideration this is the 14th round of the fight. Not the signs of a fighter struggling with the weight down the stretch. His recovery powers are impressive, until he gets caught again.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Great analysis! You know I've been trying to tell them as much but for some reason people don't like hearing it.

IMO, Tommy at 147 changes the complexion of this fight and wins-on points.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm surprised he didnt mention Terry Norris, the guy who murdered him in the ring.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Some fighters can weigh in on the same day, and not be affected, while others can't. Hearns would have been huge if he had an extra day to re-hydrate.

Also, some people have suggest SRL "roided" up for the second Leonard-Hearns fight......though this has never been proven.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
Some fighters can weigh in on the same day, and not be affected, while others can't. Hearns would have been huge if he had an extra day to re-hydrate.

Yeah, they should have called the fight off and told the punters to "come back tomorrow".
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Complete and total bullshit. Hearns looked fantastic throughout the bout, even in the late rounds. The only times he looked off in the fight was when Leonard's fists were pounding his face. I'm tired of this bullshit excuse.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Complete and total bullshit. Hearns looked fantastic throughout the bout, even in the late rounds. The only times he looked off in the fight was when Leonard's fists were pounding his face. I'm tired of this bullshit excuse.

Yeah, I saw that happen too. But in fairness to Rooster, he's always had sympathy for the two pounds that Colbert needlessly lost against Hagler and was way ahead until he fell onto Marv's fist, breaking his jaw and he himself admitted that 'baldy wouldn't have had a chance' if the fight took place the next day when 'Super Mike' could weigh in at 160.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 AM   #14
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #15
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP