teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonard says Hearns was his biggest rival AND toughest opponent

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic
Leonard - Hearns I was a great fight. Two great fighters who both fought great fights. There are very few, if any, welterweights in history who would have beaten either of those guys that night. There's no need for an excuse. Tommy was hurt in the middle rounds and then came out, got on his toes and put on a boxing exhibition for several rounds. I don't think he could've pulled that off if he wasn't close to his best. Tommy doesn't need an excuse. He was brilliant and courageous.
I take excuses with a grain of salt. Tommy came in too light, Leonard fought the wrong fight in Montreal, Duran was poorly trained in New Orleans, yada, yada, yada. The result is what stands. Two men get in the ring and one (usually) comes out on top.
Good post! That's that!
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #32
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
Yeah, if someone has excuses after losing a fight, they just must be taken seriously, mustn't they?

In all fairness to Tommy, he himself made no excuses. He said he was in great shape and that he didn't have any problems making weight. That, and the fact that he looked great until he got tagged, really closes the case for me. If there ever was one.
To be fair this was the talk of many of the reporters who were there to see it. It just seems Tommy was a stick of a fighter, way too lean and dry to last more than 10 rounds.

As Clancy says on the tape "I think they made a mistake bringing Tommy down to 145. With the extra two pounds on him he would made it thru the last two rounds"
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #33
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfkill
The reason Tommy Hearns didn't win the fight is because Leonard landed a right hand. Forget about the excuses.

Hearns, even in the second fight with Leonard, had trouble taking Leonard's best shots. Ray was an underrated puncher, and everytime he seemed to land a right on Tommy, his legs would turn into jelly. It is a credit to Hearns that he lasted as long as he did in the first fight considering how highly I rate Leonard when it comes to finishing ability.

P.S I agree with Teeto. **** excuses.
But you know what? Ray landed lot of blows landing flush in the middle rounds and Tommy stayed up. One right hand in the late rounds having this effect means Tommy was not conditioned well nor was he strong enough for the championship rounds 11-15. it showed.

Steward seemed to have this problems and hadn't figured out how to correct it. That is, he didnt seem to know how to properly condition them for the later rounds. Same thing happened to his other champion Hilmer Kenty earlier in the year when he took a beating from O'Grady and lost his title.

So that being said, I rate Sean O' Grady highly in my top lightweights of all times (somewhere around #2)
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #34
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher
Anyone suprised ? Im not really, he could have picked any one of those guys as his toughest & it would be believable.

Not in the least.

Hearns was the only member of the fab four that Leonard never really solved.

He got past him once but so did Iran Barkley.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #35
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I do think that claiming fighting the wrong gameplan is a bit of an excuse personally, but maybe im biased.
I totally agree with you. The right gameplan is a crucial part of the overall perfomance. I don't like these kinds of excuses. Sure, Leonard wised up after that, but on the night Duran was the better man, because the fight plan is a much a part of what you bring into the ring as everything else. Tremendous victory for Duran. Absolutely one of the best in history.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #36
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was one of Leonard's best performances against Hearns who had a good reach advantage. Duran fought great but Leonard fought stupid. He really had to pull it out of the bag to come back against Hearns. Great fighter who could turn it on when it really mattered. Took to much time out - that finishes a fighter. Leonard was my favourite fighter as a kid watching my first fights. He was entertaining.
groove is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #37
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Not in the least.

Hearns was the only member of the fab four that Leonard never really solved.
Spot on. He couldn't outpoint him, and one had to pay extreme prices to get to him.

I still think Hearns from around the Duran fight would beat Leonard more often than not.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #38
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Spot on. He couldn't outpoint him, and one had to pay extreme prices to get to him.

Quote:
I still think Hearns from around the Duran fight would beat Leonard more often than not
I think Leonard just might have felt the same way...Tommy waited a looooooong time for the second go.
dpw417 is online now  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #39
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I still think Hearns from around the Duran fight would beat Leonard more often than not.
Agreed.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #40
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Cheers guys.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #41
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

well that was a 154lb hearns, leonard was a welterweight, not a junior middleweight.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #42
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I think Leonard just might have felt the same way.

what makes u say that? leonard is a warrior, the man fought with incredible guts and heart as any fighter there ever was in both losing efforts(duran I) and winning efforts(hearns). Leonard fought ANYBODY and everybody, and he fought the best of his era. how many guys can say that?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #43
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
what makes u say that? leonard is a warrior, the man fought with incredible guts and heart as any fighter there ever was in both losing efforts(duran I) and winning efforts(hearns). Leonard fought ANYBODY and everybody, and he fought the best of his era. how many guys can say that?
Don't read beyond what I typed. Leonard did fight the best of his era...and of co****, Leonard had incredible heart and guts. Not denying that. I rate Leonard very highly for what he's accomplished. I believe he is problably the 2nd or 3rd best welter in history. But having said that, Tommy did not receive a rematch, until a long time had passed. Tommy would have taken a rematch at welter IMO...it never came.
dpw417 is online now  Top
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #44
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
well that was a 154lb hearns, leonard was a welterweight, not a junior middleweight.
Never said any different.

Mind you Leonard wasn't a welterweight beating Kalule for his title.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #45
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Not to mention he sure wasn't a middleweight either but it didn't stop him beating Hagler.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum