Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Chavez V WHitaker: Who doesnt think it was a robbery?

when I first watched the fight, i thought that Sweet Pea was robbed and won at least five rounds. But I watched the fight again before with a more open mind to scoring a fight. I still have pea winning by a few rounds but i am not too sure about saying that it was a robbery now

It was not the schooling that many people on this board like to say it was. Chavez was making pea miss many a time and showing his extremely underrated defensive ability. I had Chavez winning 4-2 after six. pea won the 7th and 8th

chavez did some good unrecognised body and inside work and Pea was hitting low a lot and should of had points removed

It was also classic fight in a technical way. Pea not just showed great boxing but he also was very effective on the inside and took some great body punches from JCC. this was not like the dlh fight were pea was just running around showboating and landing the odd jab. pea was landing some great power punches

JCC showed that he was ageing in this fight. he was tiring terribly after 6 rounds thus leaving the door open for Pea to take command. in the past JCC got stronger as the rounds went by

Last edited by TIGEREDGE; 08-05-2008 at 07:49 PM.
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Loewe
internet hero
ESB Addict

Default Re: Chavez V WHitaker: Who doesnt think it was a robbery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
when I first watched the fight, i thought that Sweet Pea was robbed and won at least five rounds. But I watched the fight again before with a more open mind to scoring a fight. I still have pea winning by a few rounds but i am not too sure about saying that it was a robbery now

It was not the schooling that many people on this board like to say it was. Chavez was making pea miss many a time and showing his extremely underrated defensive ability. I had Chavez winning 4-2 after six. pea won the 7th and 8th

chavez did some good unrecognised body and inside work and Pea was hitting low a lot and should of had points removed

It was also classic fight in a technical way. Pea not just showed great boxing but he also was very effective on the inside and took some great body punches from JCC. this was not like the dlh fight were pea was just running around showboating and landing the odd jab. pea was some great landing power punches

JCC showed that he was ageing in this fight. he was tiring terribly after 6 rounds thus leaving the door open for Pea to take command. in the past JCC got stronger as the rounds went by
If you concentrate just on the work of one fighter than the fight will always look better for him than it really was. I had it 9-3 for Pea but 8-4 is also reasonable.
Loewe is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

It was a bad decision, but I've seen much worse robberies.

I had it 8-4.

Whitaker won more clear rounds than Chavez, whose rounds were closer and more debatable.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer
It was a bad decision, but I've seen much worse robberies.

I had it 8-4.

Whitaker won more clear rounds than Chavez, whose rounds were closer and more debatable.
the last rounds were clear ones for pea but some of the early rounds that h won were close but the same applie for chavez
Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
dave82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I scored the fight 9 - 3 rounds in favour of Pernell Whitaker. This fight was a robbery however not as bad as Ramirez vs Whitaker 1
dave82 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

It was also classic fight in a technical way. Pea not just showed great boxing but he also was very effective on the inside and took some great body punches from JCC. this was not like the dlh fight were pea was just running around showboating and landing the odd jab. pea was some great landing power punches

.....and God said, let there be light!

Exellent Post!

There are two things imo for the reason that Chavez did'nt get stronger as was his trademark.......
1. Pea is elite at the dirty deeds game.....he went way south of the border twice which was about the time Chavez started to slow......

2. ....and Chavez was fighting out of his weight class. Pea I'm certain outweighed him by a few pounds, that imo would have made a difference had the fight been fought at 140 lbs.

For a long time on this board, I'd been flying solo, with my assertion that this fight was no robbery.
I've long said what you just did TIGEREDGE, that because Whitaker is the fighter stereotyped for his great defense......Chavez' own defense, for most of the fight, went unoticed, and just plain overlooked.

I wish more people who now view this as a robbery, would now give it a 2nd look, and realize that the fight was much closer than what they were brainwashed to believe!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
.....and God said, let there be light!

Exellent Post!

There are two things imo for the reason that Chavez did'nt get stronger as was his trademark.......
1. Pea is elite at the dirty deeds game.....he went way south of the border twice which was about the time Chavez started to slow......

2. ....and Chavez was fighting out of his weight class. Pea I'm certain outweighed him by a few pounds, that imo would have made a difference had the fight been fought at 140 lbs.

For a long time on this board, I'd been flying solo, with my assertion that this fight was no robbery.
I've long said what you just did TIGEREDGE, that because Whitaker is the fighter stereotyped for his great defense......Chavez' own defense, for most of the fight, went unoticed, and just plain overlooked.

I wish more people who now view this as a robbery, would now give it a 2nd look, and realize that the fight was much closer than what they were brainwashed to believe!
what was your score
Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
what was your score
Its no secret in this forum that I was in agreement with the verdict.

I scored it a draw!
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

i scored it for whitaker by one round. he won his rounds more emphatically but not by 10-8 scores. many rounds were very close. it was hardly a robbery, though i did think whitaker won.

the true robbery was no rematch.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

Quote:
Its no secret in this forum that I was in agreement with the verdict.

I scored it a draw!
What's your round by round breakdown?
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Was your mind closed on the subject when you first watched it?

Quote:
Which 4 rounds did you have Chavez winning of the first 6?

Quote:
Chavez was doing a lot of good shots to Whitakers hips and ass, not to his body. That's WHY Whitaker retaliated with a low blow. If Whitaker deserved point deductions for hitting low, then so did Chavez.

As soon as Chavez got some of his own medicine, the fight became one-sided.

Quote:
It was also classic fight in a technical way. Pea not just showed great boxing but he also was very effective on the inside and took some great body punches from JCC. this was not like the dlh fight were pea was just running around showboating and landing the odd jab. pea was landing some great power punches
What great body shots did he take? Give me an example of where he got worked to the body? I can only remember Chavez landing a few flurries to the body throughout. If Chavez lost the fight anywhere, it was in not establishing anythign to the body. Pea did not slow down at all throughout the fight.

Quote:
When did Chavez EVER start a fight as visciously as he did against Whitaker though? Probably not since the first Roger Mayweather fight had he come out all guns blazing. He spent himself in the first half of the fight, and he missed so many punches, and got worked to the body (and balls) so well that he no longer had the steam to stay in the fight in the second half. It wasn't really Chavez age that betrayed him here so much as his game plan, combined with Whitaker who fought superbly and didn't allow him to come on.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
roscoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I had whittaker 9-3 rds & yeah I thought it was highway robbery, hell even chavez looked a little surprised by the verdict, whittaker was just blown away with the decision, he totally dominated the fight.
roscoe is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe
I had whittaker 9-3 rds & yeah I thought it was highway robbery, hell even chavez looked a little surprised by the verdict, whittaker was just blown away with the decision, he totally dominated the fight.
The same look he had after he got beatdown by Felix Trinidad......

......in fact, Pernell Whitaker's words to Larry Merchant, "they did it to me again Larry!"
divac is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #14
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The same look he had after he got beatdown by Felix Trinidad......

......in fact, Pernell Whitaker's words to Larry Merchant, "they did it to me again Larry!"
Pernell Whitaker is a proud fighter.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Was your mind closed on the subject when you first watched it?

Which 4 rounds did you have Chavez winning of the first 6?

Chavez was doing a lot of good shots to Whitakers hips and ass, not to his body. That's WHY Whitaker retaliated with a low blow. If Whitaker deserved point deductions for hitting low, then so did Chavez.

As soon as Chavez got some of his own medicine, the fight became one-sided.

What great body shots did he take? Give me an example of where he got worked to the body? I can only remember Chavez landing a few flurries to the body throughout. If Chavez lost the fight anywhere, it was in not establishing anythign to the body. Pea did not slow down at all throughout the fight.

When did Chavez EVER start a fight as visciously as he did against Whitaker though? Probably not since the first Roger Mayweather fight had he come out all guns blazing. He spent himself in the first half of the fight, and he missed so many punches, and got worked to the body (and balls) so well that he no longer had the steam to stay in the fight in the second half. It wasn't really Chavez age that betrayed him here so much as his game plan, combined with Whitaker who fought superbly and didn't allow him to come on.
when i first watched the fight a few years ago I thought like you and others

if you watch the fights more closely instead of having your head up sweet pea ass, you can see that Jcc was landing nice short body and getting some good rights through (in the early rounds)

The old chavez never starting tiring out after 6 rounds

I had JCC winning rounds 1 and 2, I think that I give 3 and 6 to pea (this i am not too sure about. i havent kept record of my score card). But i knwo that Pea only took proper control when JCC was tiring

It was not the schooling the Sweet Pea Ass lickers like to say it was

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum